Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to be honest i never thought i would be posting in here LMAO!! I've used Nvidia cards in ALL the rigs i have built (Since Riva TNT 16MB!!). And to be honest i have had no trouble with them..... BUT the nipper had purchased a rig (bits!) and in this there was one Sapphire 6870 1Gb. He never seemed to get on with it and had a hankering for my Nvidia 470. So we decided to swap and see how it went....

..... Actually VERY well. Installed and put on the Omega Drivers and all is well. Found my way around the driver control panel and set things as i wished. (No problems with drivers....
biggrin.gif
). To be honest i don't think there is much between them other than me losing 280Mb VRam. Some help with the following would be appreciated.

1. I have managed to overclock some but need to add MOAR VOLTZ! I was using Trixx but find this VERY poor and if something is not set right i get a black screen on bootup (when Trixx starts) and i can't change the settings because it locks up and have to use safemode. So will be going back to Afterburner.

2. Using Afterburner i can NOT adjust the voltage even with all the "unlock" options set. I have tried editing the .cfg file to add the EULA thing to do this. But when i start up Afterburner i can't change ANYTHING including clocks! (all numbers are blacked out!? like the overlays are missing). Obviously it's my editing that's to blame but i as far as i can tell am adding the extra commands/enabling them but nothing!! And i need a bump to get 1Ghz core.

I have to say for my first AMD card i'm actually finding it performs very well and contrary to what you see in the Nvidia forums.... NO DRIVER ISSUES!!
thumb.gif
And on the strength of this i WILL be moving over to TeamRED sometime in the future (3xxX).

Thanx.

·
Registered
367 Posts
You'd be amazed at how things get so blown out of proportion when conversations get one sided. On both sides. AMD's drivers are much better than they ever were.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstalker420 View Post

2. Using Afterburner i can NOT adjust the voltage even with all the "unlock" options set. I have tried editing the .cfg file to add the EULA thing to do this. But when i start up Afterburner i can't change ANYTHING including clocks! (all numbers are blacked out!? like the overlays are missing). Obviously it's my editing that's to blame but i as far as i can tell am adding the extra commands/enabling them but nothing!! And i need a bump to get 1Ghz core.

I have to say for my first AMD card i'm actually finding it performs very well and contrary to what you see in the Nvidia forums.... NO DRIVER ISSUES!!
thumb.gif
And on the strength of this i WILL be moving over to TeamRED sometime in the future (3xxX).

Thanx.
You should not be editing the cfg file with AB versions from the last year. AB has automated almost all aspects of configuration now. I'd dl the lastest AB 4.0 if you haven't already. You can also follow the thread below on how to configure AB to ensure you continue to get the best experience. Also, I don't know about the voltage support on your Sapphire card, they sometimes lock their cards down to trixx or some cards aare locked and others are not. You might have to do some research on that topic.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1529888/pc-freezes-from-youtube-browser-apps-after-r9-290-install/0_40#post_23271996

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Glad you mentioned that about Afterburner:D I will hunt out the exact model number but as far as i can tell it is the one in the picture (attached). I will have a good read and see what we can do.

Thanx.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have to say I'm disappointed with the lack of ANY sort of voltage adjustment in ANY of the software i have tried! Sapphire's own Trixx software is probably one of the WORST pieces of software i have ever had the pleasure of using. The latest version crashes THE SECOND you click the settings page (really no one noticed in QC!!).

The one before black screens when you overclock/overvolt to far and you have to use safemode!! I went RIGHT BACK to 4.0 and that set all the sliders to 0 and wouldn't allow any adjustment. Damn have to say why bother with it if it's total junk/crashes a lot? And of course Afterburner 4.0 does NOTHING. Not even a sniff of voltage adjustment (even with all "unlock" options set to ON).

Shame as i think this card would OC more but NOTHING i can find will let me add V's. I'm really stuck for ideas and tbh i took it for granted this would be no problem. Even tried an older 2xx Afterburner and this wouldn't allow it either.

Thanx.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstalker420 View Post

Have to say I'm disappointed with the lack of ANY sort of voltage adjustment in ANY of the software i have tried! Sapphire's own Trixx software is probably one of the WORST pieces of software i have ever had the pleasure of using. The latest version crashes THE SECOND you click the settings page (really no one noticed in QC!!).

The one before black screens when you overclock/overvolt to far and you have to use safemode!! I went RIGHT BACK to 4.0 and that set all the sliders to 0 and wouldn't allow any adjustment. Damn have to say why bother with it if it's total junk/crashes a lot? And of course Afterburner 4.0 does NOTHING. Not even a sniff of voltage adjustment (even with all "unlock" options set to ON).

Shame as i think this card would OC more but NOTHING i can find will let me add V's. I'm really stuck for ideas and tbh i took it for granted this would be no problem. Even tried an older 2xx Afterburner and this wouldn't allow it either.

Thanx.
Hate to point this out but if you're going to kick anyone you should be kicking yourself for not doing research and buying a volt locked card. You're going off the deep end blaming AMD, but THEY did not manufacture your card, a company named SAPPHIRE did. Fyi, AMD specifies a reference design that is has voltage control, but it's NOT AGAINST THE LAW if an AIB like Sapphire for instance deviates from the reference spec, and removes volt control. I even warned you about the Sapphire cards but it seems you missed that.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not just relax a bit mate. If you can't help me why bother posting!? If you even read my OP you would see i SWAPPED it with my step son. So i didn't have time to research so..... Hence me asking in here. "Going off the deep end and blaming AMD" Where do i say that then bud?? I NEVER even mentioned AMD!! And i KNOW that it is Sapphire that designed the card but if you opened up your eyes and READ what i posted.

The utility that THE MANUFACTURER SUPPLIES TO ALTER THE VOLTAGE AND CLOCKS IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. Did you catch that or do i have to repeat it The SOFTWARE (Trixx) IS JUNK. I didn't mention the 6800 as JUNK i actually very much LIKE the card!. I have tried at least 4 variants and all are buggy in the extreme or just flat out refuse to work. I asked for help and you felt it needed YOU to post that drivel.

This is a public forum where people ASK for help is it not?? If you CAN'T offer anything in relation to what is asked why bother posting in the thread? Mate grow up and stop being so defensive over a GPU Manufacturer who i NEVER EVEN BLAMED. Sapphire and the junk they call "Software" is to blame. That's what the problem is. If you KNEW that it was VCore locked why not just say it?

I wouldn't be fussed as the card was just a swap for a GPU that will be upgraded in the New Year. So..... Just a bit of fun. Just a shame the Vendor (Sapphire) doesn't support their products with WORKING Software. No VCore adjustment fine. Why not put the keyboard down and get some air. Then you can tell me the part where i "blame AMD" for Sapphires misfortunes.

Then maybe stay out of threads that you can't offer any useful advice on LIKE I DO.
thumb.gif

Thanx

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
lol you're the one that needs to relax with that wall of text especially if you think I was attacking you.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's just it mate i DON'T think you are attacking ME. You just made some rather stupid assumptions. You said: "You're going off the deep end blaming AMD" i just want YOU to clarify how you got to this conclusion from my post. The fact you have not mentioned this in your last post is very telling. You are putting words in MY MOUTH and i don't like it tbh. It's nothing personal but you come across as quite condescending and it wasn't needed imho. This is my first AMD GPU (and FIRST non reference card). So yeah i might be missing the obvious.

But if you KNEW the card was locked for sure why not say so? It took you longer to type that post than just to say "card is VCore locked mate". EASY! But you put on some "tone" like you work for AMD and i've just slated your hard work. I don't get offended by kids on forums. And don't take it personally so don't worry. But other than the link you supplied your comments have added nothing to this thread of value so like i said why bother?

And if a "wall of text" bothers you i advise you to take your ADHD meds if you just can't bare to read it. (really people get "bothered" by reading a few paragraphs. If you don't like reading maybe a public forum isn't the best place for you). Have a good Christmas.
thumb.gif

....... How am i "blaming AMD" then? I await the answer YOU know you can't supply;)

Thanx.

·
Ryzen Torturer
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi mate. I've tried using MOST of the Trixx software from 4.xx upto the latest one you mention. Only ONE worked for a while and then caused a black screen, Which i had to use safemode to get out of (settings stuck and initialised at bootup causing black screen at every boot until removed). The latest Trixx the one you mention i think crashes the moment i click settings. So is unusable. The one before doesn't show any adjustments to sliders (blacked out numbers etc).

One causes a black screen if i go a bit to high with the OC (but can't pin down where the limit is) and then my CPU fan spins up and the rig sit's there 'till i hit reset. A few of them won't even install (!?). That's my main issue. The "tool" the vendor supplies to change the setting i REALLY need to change is unuseable imho. And not knowing ANYTHING about AMD GPU's (i've only owned Nvidia reference cards) or "older" models that didn't offer any sort of VCore adjustment.

The thing that i find strange is that for a small amount of time ONE of the Trixx's DID appear to ALLOW some kind of VCore adjustment. As i was "stuck" at [email protected] 1.177 (default not 100% sure if it's correct) and Valley crashed on start up. SO i bumped up the slider to about 1.19x and Valley ran for a [email protected] 1Ghz core..... Then the black screen lockup i needed to use safemode to get out of. I later tried to use the same Trixx to do the same.... No dice!!

Black [email protected] 980 with same VCore for 1Ghz???. Very frustrating that the vendor offers such tools then they turn out to be so buggy it's unusable!!

Thanks for the help.

Thanx.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I see, that's too bad then. I too have problems with the latest version of Trixx like you. It would instantly crash whenever I clicked settings, had to use the previous version.

Every Sapphire card I owned can't overclock using MSI Afterburner no matter what settings and had to stick with Trixx and I can't monitor VRM temperatures since it doesn't show in monitoring softwares. Must be bad luck. lol.

Anyways I hope you can solve your problems since I ran out of ideas.
thumb.gif

1 - 12 of 12 Posts