Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would playing games in HD affectmy performance severely? Is the performance cost really worth the increase in image quality?

My specs are in my signature. Right now i play BF: BC2 and aliens vs predator and some other titles. In BF BC2 i get around 65 fps constant all maxed out. Will my FPS drop in other games and will i be dooming myself for future games?

Also, is the image quality of a HD monitor different to a 1440x900 monitor? Does it "immerse" you in gaming experience and look super sharp, even without anti aliasing?

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Yes, you will see a huge performance drop, since you're rendering almost twice the amount of pixels, but your GPU is more than adequate for gaming at a high resolution. You'll still be able to max out pretty much all games at 1920 x 1080. Crysis may struggle, but that's normal.

Everything in games looks magical with a higher resolution. I moved from 1360 x 768 --> 1920 x 1200, and I was shocked at how great everything looked again. All the textures were much better. Also, my productivity improved a lot if I was doing school work or whatever, due to the vast amount of more space I had. Browsing the web became much, much better.

You don't need as much anti-aliasing if you're gaming at a higher resolution. IIRC, the jagged edges that you need to counter with AA are only noticeable at lower resolutions, where they've had to compress the textures. At a higher resolution, you don't need as much AA because the textures aren't anywhere near as compressed as they once were.

Do it. You won't regret it. Probably the single biggest difference I've made to my overall enjoyment to my rig.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The drop will pe present, but i dont think it will be THAT bad. Still the number of pixels would double or triple (do the math, 1920x1080 etc etc)...

But the 4890 is still a great card, and with a memory of 1gb, those resolution would be possible easily.

No matter what, go for it. From a 19" wide to a 24"+ wide its a huuuuge difference!!!

le: duuuude meticadpa beat me to it, but we think alike...

·
Premium Member
8,479 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Apocolypze01
View Post

hmm you guys have got me thinking! i will run into the shop tomorrow and buy buy buy!

You'll love it.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Running games at a higher resolution might decrease performance , but it will definitely immerse you in the game more because of the larger screen and quality I would say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I literally just did this a couple of weeks ago. was playing with a 1440x900 monitor now upgraded and all i can say is wow visual difference is immense. if there was a performance hit i haven't noticed it when playing games might of had a few fps drop of but not a noticeable drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts