Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
13,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
junefatlogo.png

-credit to Lutro0 and csm for the logo-

What is the Foldathon?

The Foldathon is a 2-day period each month where we Fold on any and all clients we can get our hands on. You might not be able to Fold 24/7, but if you're a Folder, there's no excuse not to Fold for these 48 hours.

This year, we're using every second Foldathon to highlight some of the lesser known diseases that the [email protected] Project researches (directly or indirectly). In the spot light this month is Parkinson's Disease.

Quote:
Parkinson's disease (also known as Parkinson disease, Parkinson's, idiopathic parkinsonism, primary parkinsonism, PD, or paralysis agitans) is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system. The motor symptoms of Parkinson's disease result from the death of dopamine-generating cells in the substantia *****, a region of the midbrain; the cause of this cell death is unknown. Early in the course of the disease, the most obvious symptoms are movement-related; these include shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. Later,cognitive and behavioural problems may arise, with dementia commonly occurring in the advanced stages of the disease. Other symptoms include sensory, sleep and emotional problems. PD is more common in the elderly, with most cases occurring after the age of 50.

The main motor symptoms are collectively called parkinsonism, or a "parkinsonian syndrome". Parkinson's disease is often defined as a parkinsonian syndrome that is idiopathic (having no known cause), although some atypical cases have a genetic origin. Many risk and protective factors have been investigated: the clearest evidence is for an increased risk of PD in people exposed to certain pesticides and a reduced risk in tobacco smokers. The pathology of the disease is characterized by the accumulation of a protein called alpha-synuclein into inclusions called Lewy bodies in neurons, and from insufficient formation and activity of dopamine produced in certain neurons within parts of the midbrain. Lewy bodies are the pathological hallmark of the idiopathic disorder, and the distribution of the Lewy bodies throughout the Parkinsonian brain varies from one individual to another. The anatomical distribution of the Lewy bodies is often directly related to the expression and degree of the clinical symptoms of each individual. Diagnosis of typical cases is mainly based on symptoms, with tests such as neuroimaging being used for confirmation.

Modern treatments are effective at managing the early motor symptoms of the disease, mainly through the use oflevodopa and dopamine agonists. As the disease progresses and dopaminergic neurons continue to be lost, a point eventually arrives at which these drugs become ineffective at treating the symptoms and at the same time produce a complication called dyskinesia, marked by involuntary writhing movements. Diet and some forms of rehabilitation have shown some effectiveness at alleviating symptoms. Surgery and deep brain stimulation have been used to reduce motor symptoms as a last resort in severe cases where drugs are ineffective. Research directions include investigations into new animal models of the disease and of the potential usefulness of gene therapy, stem cell transplants andneuroprotective agents. Medications to treat non-movement-related symptoms of PD, such as sleep disturbances and emotional problems, also exist.

The disease is named after the English doctor James Parkinson, who published the first detailed description in An Essay on the Shaking Palsy in 1817. Several major organizations promote research and improvement of quality of life of those with the disease and their families. Public awareness campaigns include Parkinson's disease day (on the birthday of James Parkinson, April 11) and the use of a red tulip as the symbol of the disease. People with parkinsonism who have enhanced the public's awareness include Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson's_disease
How it works:
Run [email protected] for Overclock.net (team number: 37726) during the specified times. Those who Fold will be entered into a drawing to win the prizes listed below. If you don't know what [email protected] is, feel free to make a thread in the forum or check these guides:

CPU and/or GPU Folding
Client for AMD GPUs only

When:
Monday June 18th Noon EDT (GMT: 4pm) until June 20th Noon EDT.
Countdown

Prizes:

• $25 PayPal - donated by admin - gboeds

• $25 PayPal - donated by admin - cchun39

• $25 PayPal - donated by admin - crystalhand

• Lifetime Overclocked account - donated by admin - royalflush5

• Lifetime Overclocked account - donated by admin - hatchet

Donated Prizes:

• Lucid (Steam) - donated by aas88keyz - WonderMutt

Extra prizes this month:

Quote:
As he did in January, admin has a few extra prizes for this Foldathon, using the same referral system, outlined below.

1) You refer someone to the Foldathon, and they name you as the referrer.

2) Any points they make for the Foldathon will then be the referrer's "Referred Points".

3) The three members with the most RPs will then win the following prizes:

1st place - OCN Ducky keyboard (switch of their choice) - BWG

2nd place - $50 through PayPal - rrims

3rd place - $25 through PayPal - Demented

Random OCN Ducky Keyboard - BiG-LiG

In addition, anyone who refers someone to the Foldathon (and they participate :p) will then also be entered into a random draw for another OCN Ducky keyboard. :D The new users that were referred to the Foldathon will of course be entered into the main prize draw above. :)
So plenty of reason to get new people signed up this month; extra prize draw for you, and for them. :D

Sign-Up:
You only need to sign up once.

If you'd like to be put on a reminder list for all future Foldathons, please join this group: Foldathon Participants

----> SIGN UP HERE <----

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_GB&hl=en_GB&key=0AqJjQktZy8GkdEphemVsV2ljelFUdFV3SnBqWWluU2c&output=html&widget=true

Stats:
Courtesy of sks72, enter your name (during the Foldathon) into the following link to see your points total for the Foldathon so far:
Super duper script

Sig Link:

:cheers: http://www.overclock.net/t/1270408/june-foldathon-parkinsons-disease-june-18th-start/0_50]June Foldathon (18th-20th) - Raising Awareness for Parkinson's Disease[/URL] :cheers:

·
!
9,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725 View Post

Gee, nice logo!
Gee nice face.
tongue.gif

Also first.

·
Banned
11,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG View Post

1st
tongue.gif

Yeah, that's what you get when you want to get it done last minute. All I have is Paint.
Coulda messaged me. I have a Layer Style of the OCN logo and a shadow ready in Photoshop
rolleyes.gif

·
!
9,170 Posts
I too have a massive layer of style.

·
Premium Member
13,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

Gee nice face.
tongue.gif

Also first.
lachen.gif
*second

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725 View Post

Coulda messaged me. I have a Layer Style of the OCN logo and a shadow ready in Photoshop
rolleyes.gif
I could have, but you can still fix it if you want. In fact, you can make the avatars and banner for the team competition too. Heck, why don't we even offer you a sand dollar as payment
wink.gif

·
!
9,170 Posts
Quote:

lachen.gif
*second

I could have, but you can still fix it if you want. In fact, you can make the avatars and banner for the team competition too. Heck, why don't we even offer you a sand dollar as payment
wink.gif
A slippery slope you're considering here. I've said before that if CSM gets to be staff of anything other than peripherals or offtopic then I quit.

·
Premium Member
13,587 Posts

·
13,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
13,587 Posts
Awww, shucks axipher
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Well, let me take a minute to say something serious. I have had 2 Grandmother's who were diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. The first Grandmother died 18 years ago. She could not talk, could barely walk, and shook vigorously. Parkinson's literally took her life.

After that, a ton of research was done partly due to [email protected] and Michael J. Fox's efforts. A second Grandmother was diagnosed with it 10 years ago. To be honest, you can barely tell she has the disease anymore. She shook a little at first, and she does struggle to walk due to the disease, but she is 100x better than the first Grandmother.

I'd like to think this project played a large role in the medical advances made. It's one of the several reasons I'm here.
biggrin.gif

·
13,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrims View Post

Can't wait!
thumb.gif
thumbsupsmiley.png

Quote:

Awww, shucks axipher
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Well, let me take a minute to say something serious. I have had 2 Grandmother's who were diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. The first Grandmother died 18 years ago. She could not talk, could barely walk, and shook vigorously. Parkinson's literally took her life.

After that, a ton of research was done partly due to [email protected] and Michael J. Fox's efforts. A second Grandmother was diagnosed with it 10 years ago. To be honest, you can barely tell she has the disease anymore. She shook a little at first, and she does struggle to walk due to the disease, but she is 100x better than the first Grandmother.

I'd like to think this project played a large role in the medical advances made. It's one of the several reasons I'm here.
biggrin.gif
heart.gif
grouphug.gif
heart.gif

·
unRAID Enthusiast
3,606 Posts
Yey!! Another challenge...Accepted! I love the F-a-t's!!!
Quote:

Awww, shucks axipher
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

biggrin.gif
I've lost quite a bit of close family to cancer (and have a grandfather who is slowly going, see my sig), so I know how you feel, and that is why I spend every spare bit of cash I can come up with to further this cause! [email protected] FTW (or should it be FTC, For The Cures)!
thumb.gif

Best of luck to your grandmom, BTW.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts