Overclock.net banner
301 - 320 of 344 Posts

·
!
9,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CudaBoy71 View Post

I see no problem with them entering the contests as long as they are not the ones drawing the prizes..And as far as their salaries go thats none of my business as too weather or not they get paid. With that said I am done with this discussion.
thumb.gif
Let me explain a way that this could become a problem. Editors are responsible for a considerable amount of the promotion of events like these, you need only look at this foldathon results after only having the thread up 2 days beforehand for an example of that. So let's say they wanted to increase their chances of winning this referral, they could recruit for referrals privately for themselves but not publicly promote the event until just beforehand, thereby reducing their competition and giving themselves a leg up. So they want to win the referrals, they do not promote and give notice and make winning easier for a smaller pool of entrants, or if they wanted to make it more difficult to win they could just promote the event more heavily from earlier beforehand thereby making a larger pool of more competitive entrants. That's just one way that every folding staff, not just the ones drawing the prizes, could skew a contest like this. There is also the fact that if two people referred you to this event one staff and one non staff then assuming all other things equal which do you think the person is more likely to put as the referrer, the staff or non staff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks8981 View Post

I am confused. The OP states that if you refer someone, you would be entered into a random drawing for the keyboard. Is this true, or is it the person who refers the most PPD during the FaT that wins? I think you should get your name in the hat each time you refer someone. This way, the person who has added more people gets a better chance, but someone who has referred only 1 still has an opportunity. It isn't often that someone refers a 4P rig and has more PPD than someone who refers 15 AMD 965s. As for editors being included, I think it is tough because while they are contributing as well, they would likely have more contacts and more relationships than someone like myself would, and ultimately, giving them an advantage. Just my
2cents.gif
How it was done previously when we had more than 3 people referring was it was based on most points made by all of your referrals, so top points produced by all of your however many referrals won the keyboards, and 2nd + 3rd won paypal prizes. Then there was also a random drawing out of those who had referred people that folded but did not produce in the top 3 points for an additional keyboard. So lets say there were 8 people that got referrals, the then bottom 5 were in the random drawing for the keyboard. In this format of how it was done previously the first time folders or those who were referred were in a separate random draw prize pool, but because of the short notice of this one I don't think there were any prizes for first time folders so what I think they did was just make the random keyboard drawing for both all referrers and first time folders.

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
Thanks for explaining juano, you've pretty much echoed my thoughts on it.

If I wanted a non-existent keyboard, I'd have ordered one
thumb.gif
I'm not sad about not getting one, as pointed out, I didn't enter any referrals.
I pester people for the CC and the FFW enough; it's up to Editors to drum up support for the monthly foldathon (as well as organising the stats and prizes etc...), and it seems there is a system in place now to compensate them for it. Bravo. I don't approve, this is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
You are all just mad I won the keyboard and you didn't.
biggrin.gif

I have keyboards, so I am donating in the next Fat. My keyboards are cheap and wireless Microsoft; why should I get a good keyboard for beating you all? I actually went into threads and solicited groups. I had to do real work to get those referrals.

tator tot says we can win if we're not running the competition, so it's on next month!
thumb.gif

EDIT: I do work and still beat you in the 60 minutes I spent on recruiting. I think the prizes are nice, so I hope with proper notice for the event you're able to contend.

·
13,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
I will be sure to post a more detailed description of the referral system in the next Foldathon thread.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Very busy right now and could not put forth a proper effort, but, even the measly 14,372 points (per the foldathon script) did not show up in the spreadsheet. Guess that means I was not thrown in the pool for the prize drawing either ...

What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG View Post

They can all just bring it on. In fact, I'll compete against all of you in referrals next month for kicks. If I win, I get to keep my prize this time. How's that for a side contest?
Oh, the layers of drama!
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyRay View Post

Very busy right now and could not put forth a proper effort, but, even the measly 14,372 points (per the foldathon script) did not show up in the spreadsheet. Guess that means I was not thrown in the pool for the prize drawing either ...
What's up with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClownie View Post

Oh, the layers of drama!
tongue.gif
Challenge Accepted!

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
Quote:

You are all just mad I won the keyboard and you didn't.
biggrin.gif

I have keyboards, so I am donating in the next Fat. My keyboards are cheap and wireless Microsoft; why should I get a good keyboard for beating you all? I actually went into threads and solicited groups. I had to do real work to get those referrals.

tator tot says we can win if we're not running the competition, so it's on next month!
thumb.gif

EDIT: I do work and still beat you in the 60 minutes I spent on recruiting. I think the prizes are nice, so I hope with proper notice for the event you're able to contend.
wth.gif

notsureifserious.jpg

·
13,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega17 View Post

I'd kind of expect that
wth.gif
Isn't that why you're a Folding Editor?

How many keyboards are we sending to the old Editors?
Why are we sending keyboards to the old Editors?

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by axipher View Post

Nothing worse than an "editor" making typos...
Quote:

I was serious. I'm going to lay the smackdown on all of you combined in recruiting for the next Fat, so bring it on folks!
boxing3.gif
He even tried to recruit me... for my 5th FAT.

·
Premium Member
5,257 Posts
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega17 View Post

I'd kind of expect that
wth.gif
Isn't that why you're a Folding Editor?

How many keyboards are we sending to the old Editors?
For doing their 'job', duh.

·
13,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #317 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrucker View Post

Quote:

Nothing worse than an "editor" making typos...
Typos, where?

·
13,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctrucker View Post

Quote:

Typos, where?
I was hoping that your location was a typo.
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif
I happen to love my location
ohno-smiley.gif

·
Premium Member
11,050 Posts
What about when BWG said "chellenge"?

301 - 320 of 344 Posts