Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just got home from Frys with a new heatsink but i just noticed on the box it says Phenom II(up to 95w)

Well i have a 1090t which is rated at 125w

The heatsink i bought was Zalman cnps7000c-alcu , reason i bought it was becuase its low profile for my htpc case and was only $21.00.

Cpu is running stock speeds,and actually undervolted slightly to drop some heat but when im encoding with x264 the stock fan sounds like a hairdryer.

Will this heatsink keep the cpu at least as cool at the stock fan which hits 6000rpm+ at times, this one does 2400rpm and is 92mm

Should i take it back or try it out? i really dont want to install it if its not gonna work well enough,its gonna be a pain to install then uninstall if i need to.

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
Of course it will work, but the performance will be negligeable.

I would recommend ordering a CM 212+ online and looking for free shipping. that will be much better.

Just FYI though the stock fan would probably fly off if it went over 3000rpm (which it cant do anyway. 6k is BS)

·
Registered
2,847 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by supra_rz
View Post

could you go to mobo bios ? and change the cpu ram speed ?

I dont want it to overheat,reason the fan was spinning so far was becuase it was getting really hot =(

And the cm212+ is too tall for my htpc case

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonS
View Post

according to hwmonitor it was over 6500rpm

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/80...g-too-hot.html

I am surprised your pc didn't take off. I have a couple synthe kaze fans that max out at 4000rpm, but they sound like a helicopter taking off))))

I wouldnt look at the wattage dissipated suggested buy manufacturer. everything is relative....
try searching for some some other suitable solution

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just pulled off the old cpu cooler and the cpu pulled off with the heatsink and its stuck,any idea how to get it off without damaging it?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonS
View Post

I just pulled off the old cpu cooler and the cpu pulled off with the heatsink and its stuck,any idea how to get it off without damaging it?

Wow. Are there still little copper pins attached to the bottom of the CPU ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i was able to get the cpu off.

Im encoding a video with x264 and temps are at 55C for each core

With the stock heatsink they were at 46C but it sounded like a hair dryer

Seems like the stock hsf was better then this one aside from the noise.

New one maxing out at 2600rpm old one maxed out a 6700rpm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes i did,it came with a little tube of it

Its idling at 26C right now but when i max all cpus temp goes way up.

just lowered the vcore by another .025 to see if that helps,im at 1.28v under load now

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks like dropping the volts droped my peak to 51C

I think im going to just put the stock fan back on and live with the noise

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back to the stock hsf, 45-46C under full load and fan spinning at 3500rpm

looks like lowering the vcore helped a little on the fan noise,now its not spinning quite as fast

·
Banned
5,223 Posts
dude. it has got to be reading your fan speed wrong. there is no way it hell it is going 3500rpm, let alone 6000.

mine topped out at 2k

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by maxhudson
View Post

dude. it has got to be reading your fan speed wrong. there is no way it hell it is going 3500rpm, let alone 6000.

mine topped out at 2k

Well when the fan is running full speed i can hear it from 2 rooms away, everywhere i have read about this fan,they all say its running 6500rpm+ unless everyone else is wrong also.

·
Banned
9,168 Posts
Quote:

becuase its low profile for my htpc case

Why are people recommending 120+mm sinks?

Just drop the vcore, you shouldn't need auto voltage for stock, you could probably get away with slightly less clocks since it's a htpc.

Edit: My stock phenom II 965 fan runs around 3300 RPM, so yah, 6000 is a bit much! =D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
Why are people recommending 120+mm sinks?

Just drop the vcore, you shouldn't need auto voltage for stock, you could probably get away with slightly less clocks since it's a htpc.

Edit: My stock phenom II 965 fan runs around 3300 RPM, so yah, 6000 is a bit much! =D
orrr he shouldn't use a 1090T in a htpc because it's madness all over, no idea what you want to use that HTPC for but it shouldn't be anything else then ... small time gaming/ watching movies and other lazy activities.

get a athlon x2 or something because you wont need anything else for small time stuff.

but if you insist on trying you can ways try the big shurikan from scythe which is extreme low profile and should cool enough to run it on stock speeds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts