Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just built a computer for my dad and it isnt turning on....

but when i turn it on the Cpu and Gpu fans try to spin and then stop...

could u help me figure out what the problem is...?

thanks in advance,
freddy-b

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
firstly, check inside the case to see if there are any loose connections. Make sure the 4/8 pin cpu plug is connected to the mobo, make sure ram is in all the way, and the 24 pin mobo connection is in all the way.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well make sure that the CPU fan is connected to the CPU fan header because the BIOS will shut down the system if it thinks there isn't a CPU fan running. Check the power connections on the mobo 24, 4-8 pin. Also check if there is a connection for the video card you're using.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3TH.GRUNT View Post
firstly, check inside the case to see if there are any loose connections. Make sure the 4/8 pin cpu plug is connected to the mobo, make sure ram is in all the way, and the 24 pin mobo connection is in all the way.
the 4pin is the One near the cpu right, yeh it is plugged in... and the 24 is Pluged in all the way...

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freddy-b View Post
the 4pin is the One near the cpu right, yeh it is plugged in... and the 24 is Pluged in all the way...
yeah it is the one near the cpu. Ok then, make sure that all other connections are in place correctly as well, i had an issue like this cuz one of my ram sticks wasn't completely in all the way, could literally be something minute as that.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freddy-b
View Post

whats that...?

this picture down. They are the things that usually are there on the interior of the case, you screw the mobo onto these so there isn't any kind of current or charge that can harm your computer (they prevent that).

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastmemory
View Post

Did you forgot to put on the standoffs?

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Well, I think standoffs are the problem. Did you screw in standoffs into your case to rise the motherboard off the case to prevent shorts?

It's a common mistake for first time builds.

·
Banned
3,583 Posts
You ahve to use the little standoffs. You're motherboard is shorting out, because it is touching the metal case, install the risers by taking out the motherboard and putting those in the place where the screws would be, then screwing into the risers. You're computer should work fine after that.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by freddy-b
View Post

they were in the pack of chassis screws where do they go...?

If you look at the inside of your case with the motherboard taken out. You will see a bunch of screw holes that match up with the similar pattern of screwholes on your motherboard.

You place the risers in these screw holes. This "rises" the motherboard off the metal in the case.

After that you then put your motherboard in and line it up with the risers you put in. Place screws inside the holes and this will secure the motherboard in the case

Hope you didnt short your motherboard out completely though!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts