Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my engineering degree comes to an end this Friday and I have booked today and tomorrow off work to complete everything.

I'm using SolidWorks for my modelling package and fortunately I'm the only geek on the course with a computer strong enough to run it efficiently at home.
tongue.gif

I get up this morning, turn the PC on and go cook some breakfast. As I'm eating my bacon, sausage and hash browns I notice a funny smell. At first I thought it was the bacon but afterwards I realised it was an electrical smell. I investigate the house, all is clear, so I check the computer and it turns out my pump is totally toast!

Bugger.

Luckily I have the stock heatsink and it only took me 45 minutes to pull it all apart and install the stock heatsink, now I'm all up and running again.
biggrin.gif
Although the bearing on the heatsink is whining like hell.
frown.gif

Time to turn the music up!

A) Bloody good job I kept the stock cooler, usually I don't.

B) Good job I know what I'm doing!

C) This would never have happened if I wasn't such a geek and got watercooling in the first place.

That was a close call!

*prays that my computer lasts until Friday before breaking again*

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
The difference between Armageddon and being pissed about a lost day is the proper backup schedule
wink.gif

These things just happen, usually a week before some important deadline. I had a RAID 5 array to fail most spectacularly during writing my thesis (added a disk, it went over 2.4Tb and I found out hard way that I have BIOS and BIOS does not like that kind of stuff), although not immediately before defense
wink.gif
I lost three days of work, however, without proper backup schedule I would have lost several years of work. I stepped up redundancy a bit after that and are steering clear of any hardware RAID since that experience.

Important stuff on Raid 1 on parallel so I can keep working even if one disk fails totally, Less important stuff on single disks and once a week full system backup.

A sata hot swap backplate for 5.25'' drivebay costs 15$ and 3 Tb HD approx 150 but having a backup when you need it is priceless.

Glad it worked out for you
smile.gif

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
I was reading your post and when I got to the breakfast part and read
Quote:
As I'm eating my bacon, (...)
I said to myself "He's from the UK", and then immediately looked at your location and voilá, you're in the UK.
biggrin.gif

Glad it all worked out, and hope all goes well with the work to get your engineering degree!

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I recommend a 655, I trust my 655 waay more than my 355 which is a little broken now. I want to switch to another 655 for my cpu loop. Glad your hardware survived
smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts