Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is like the tenth thread about this netbook haha, but I have a few specific questions.

How should I "break-in" the battery to maximize longevity?

How can I remove the annoying stickers safely?

·
Registered
796 Posts
It's a lithium-ion battery. There's no "memory" so there is no need to break it in. If you want to maximize longevity then minimize how often you turn on and off your computer and don't drain the battery completely if you can help it. As with any battery, there is a finite number of power cycles.

As for the stickers, take it off very slowly. Then use a clear packing tape and "stick-and-lift" any remainders from the surface. Afterwards, I usually wipe down the area with rubbing alcohol (just a dab or so, don't over do it).

Did you upgrade your RAM to 2 GB yet? If not, I highly suggest it.

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, wanted to give it a shot with 1gb first, I am very much concerned with battery life so I wanted to keep that sort of thing to a minimum, same with overclocking.

I have been considering putting win7 on this, does the disc that it comes with reinstall xp?

+rep sir

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am getting the external drive, most likely the ram as well. I absolutely do not need 500gb of space

·
Registered
796 Posts
When SSDs become cheaper a year or two from now, consider replacing the hard disk with a SSD. Hopefully by then they will be energy efficient, meaning they'll draw less power than traditional platter HDDs.

I ran about half of my waking day yesterday working on my 1000HE. I got about 6.2 hours out of it with the CPU usage at 40%+ most of the time (Auto Mode). That's really good battery life considering most laptops (even the expensive ultraportables) don't get close to 6 hours of battery life.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Theres this stuff that is based on Orange Juice I guess? It's called Sticky Icky Remover. It removes residue from stickers really well. Find something similar in a Walmart

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah there's a power saving mode as well correct? I haven't even powered it on yet haha, I just got it 15 minutes before I had to go to work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0
View Post

Yeah there's a power saving mode as well correct? I haven't even powered it on yet haha, I just got it 15 minutes before I had to go to work.

The Hybrid Engine software for the netbooks have four modes:
1) Super High Performance: CPU is overclocked to around 1.80/1.88 GHz (dispute over the exact number)
2) High Performance: CPU is clocked at around 1.4 GHz to 1.66 GHz
3) Power Saving: CPU is clocked at around 900 MHz to about 1.4 GHz
4) Auto High Performance / Auto Power Saving: When plugged it, the auto mode assumes "Auto High Performance" and while on battery, it assumes "Auto Power Saving". Usually people leave it on this so the CPU clocks up and down as needed.

I've found a 1-2 second delay when the CPU needs to kick into high gear when I'm using Auto mode. It's a nice feature that I also make use of on my desktop (siggy rig).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts