Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up a nikon D40 from bestbuy and im lovin it! what kind of lense should i get so i could take pictures of the moon and far away animals? it needs to be af-s

here are some nooby pics i took

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
The 55-200mm AF-S VR is a nice lens. Anything above that in range is very expensive and probably not worth it to you yet.

If you can live with manual focus, fixed aperature, you may want to take a look at mirror (reflex) lenses. They are very compact, OK optically but best of all, cheap.

Here's a picture of a 500mm Reflex mounted to a film SLR.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I say not bad for just getting it. On the dragon, unless you are looking for the one focal point, you should back up and zoom in to try to get the entire face in focus. Other than that, they look pretty good IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
These are nice shots, esp. for a new DSLR owner right out of the box. For moon shots, you need a really long reach, at least 200mm on the telephoto end, and even then you will have to crop like crazy to get a large moon. But I agree that the 55-200mm VR is a good zoom lens to have for wildlife and some decent moon shots.

Also, consider a prime lens down the road, the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8 G was just released and is excellent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.