Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first motherboard stopped posting...the blue standby LEDs would not light up and the motherboard was completely dead. I RMA it, get it back today, and the exact same thing happened to this motherboard. No posting, no blue LEDs, no nothing. No fans would spin up, no lights, just complete silence.

Before I initially RMA'd the motherboard I got all of my other components checked out from a local PC shop. Everything worked fine for them except the motherboard.

Now I have to send another motherboard back again. They better give me like prepaid overnight shipping because this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
you could try a differnt psu or a cpu if you have it if that does not work id say bring it back to the shop and let them have a good look at your pc to see whats wrong with it try it too with 1 stick of ram to see if you get it to post

or you could also try to boot outside the case

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the on board power button, there are no standby lights on or anything, just totally dead. The PC shop individually tested each part (RAM, CPU, Mobo, HDD, PSU, etc) and everything worked on their test systems except the mobo. They could not get it to POST either. The new mobo is doing the exact same thing as my old one.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Did you and the computer shop plug in the seperate cpu power pin? It's separate from the 24 pin plug.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Different serial numbers

I'm just going to demand expedited UPS shipping for free both ways and get ANOTHER new board.

Yeah I plugged both the CPU power cable and the 24 pin connector in. The board is totally dead...again. A few guys I know that work at the PC store had past issues with their 790i ultras too. Maybe its just a bad board in general, who knows.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBlackn
View Post

Different serial numbers

I'm just going to demand expedited UPS shipping for free both ways and get ANOTHER new board.

Yeah I plugged both the CPU power cable and the 24 pin connector in. The board is totally dead...again. A few guys I know that work at the PC store had past issues with their 790i ultras too. Maybe its just a bad board in general, who knows.

That doesn't mean anything, when they refurb a card or a board they assign it a new number. It could be your exact board with new, fresh from RMA, numbers.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanBlackn
View Post

I didn't know that. It probably is the same board then.

Okay now I am really pissed off.

They did it with one of my 9600 GSO that had a squealing cap. Get this, they peeled the sticker off of my card, which was on the PCB, then attached the new sticker with a different s/n on the HEATSINK!

They did do something with the cap so it doesn't squeal as bad as it used to. For whatever that's worth.

·
Banned
654 Posts
it wouldnt be the first time... they will just look at it... yeh that looks fine... send it off slaps a new serial number on it. ship it back to the owner.

thats the mentality of most who work with the RMAs ... FYI if you get another one and it doesnt work call evga and demand something free like a GTX260 or something.. that will be the third mobo (acording to thier systems.. you were supposed to recieve a new one through rma) that you have had and all have been dead and you expect some kind of compensation for the time you didnt not have a working system because of the thier incomptetince..

although sadly this probably wont get you anything free it worth a shot... tell them you use the pc for work and have lost money due to thier failure to successfully rma. just dont be too rude of you will get told sorry we cant do that for you.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
I dunno, I suppose then you'll have to ask them what they can do for you. Just don't be rude tell them that you're very disappointed and all, but keep cool. You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Somehow I'll doubt that they'd give you a board and a CPU, but the 790i ultra was a fairly expensive board when it came out, if I'm not mistaken. They could possibly give you a different socket board replacement however.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts