Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, got my first desktop pc this week (been on a macbook pretty much forever) but one of my friends convinced me that pc gaming is where its at, so here I am. Didn't know that much about pc's before this week, now I'm adding coolers, modding, buying ram and overclocking... I guess you could say I'm really into it right now.
Anyways here is my new preowned craigslist budget gaming machine:

Antec black basic case
Asus p7p55d e-lx motherboard
Intel i3 540
pny gtx 260
4gb ddr3 1600mhz (upgraded to 8gb)
1tb hdd
Antec 500watt power supply
windows 7 ultimate

I have already added an evo 212 cooler (because when I was swapping the old ram for 2 new 4gb ram I figured out the cpu heat sink was just hanging on by the thermal paste) so in looking for a new heat sink I stumbled upon overclocking, so now I have an i3 540 running at 3.8ghz rather an 3.07 (monitored with p95/real temp/cpuz). The pc itself so far has played all of my games in high/ultra settings with a minimum of 30fps (via afterburner). For $30 that evo was a nice upgrade, RealTemp is showing that under a full load in p95 the cpu isnt breaking 50c in the last two hours or so, and thats with the overclocking. Before it was typically 60c under full load with overclock after I had applied fresh thermal paste with the old heat sink...

Overall I think it was a good startup purchase for $200.I could ramble on forever about this stuff now, future thanks to anyone who answers my noob questions later on!

·
Banned
631 Posts
Nice job, builts often get respect because they are expensive, but cheaper ones also deserve some love because they are powerful in their own ways.

·
Premium Member
15,112 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I have owned Macs since 1990 and love them but nothing compares to building pc's imho.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts