1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my GTX 590 in the mail. First stop 1.2v(joking
biggrin.gif
).

I'll post some pics and benchmarks as I go.

I've got my watt meter hooked up and the first thing to do is gingerly see if 620 watts is enough to power this thing. I decided to hold off buying a new psu until I see for myself because Linus TechTips was only pulling 5xx. I will know soon if I made a good decision. I didn't take into consideration the cpu draw that can occur at the same time so it may be interesting:doh:...

I've got to head out so I'll add unboxing pics later tonight. The benchmarks may have to wait because I need to download them (and crysis 2) and only have 1.5 gigs left on my weekly bandwidth limit.

Update(3/26 in the PM):Well, I couldn't stand not oc'ing it a little. I got a 3dmark 11 score of P8958 with these clocks:
Core: 650MHz
Sharders: 1300MHz
Mermory: 1750MHz
Peak power consumption: 575W
Peak temp w/ custom fan profile: 82C

firstoc.jpg

Update(3/26 in the AM): Got a 3dmark 11 score at stock gpu settings with my i7 at 3.2 ghz. Max power consumption was 559W.
3dmarkp.jpg

img0077zs.jpg

Update(3/25): Unboxing pics (I'm not the best photographer). I like Asus's simple but effective packaging. None of the unnecessary bells and whistles some of the other guy have. Now its time to install this things and see If my PSU can even handle it. I'll be updating this throughout the next few days with benches and such.

img0065vq.jpg

img0067gwb.jpg

img0068nx.jpg

img0069ig.jpg

img0071xq.jpg

img0074kv.jpg

img0075cl.jpg

·
Registered
R5 3600 / X570 Aorus Elite WIFI / EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3
1,113 Posts
Don't for get to update your sig rig. It says it's still in the mail.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
^this. Can't wait to see real world benchies...and if MSI decides to...'upgrade' one.

Debating whether I should sell my cards and go quadfire 590's.
(when/if 'newer editions' release..along with waterblocks.)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer;12866315
biggrin.gif
).

I've got my watt meter hooked up and the first thing to do is gingerly see if 620 watts is enough to power this thing. I decided to hold off buying a new psu until I see for myself because Linus TechTips was only pulling 5xx. I will know soon if I made a good decision. I didn't take into consideration the cpu draw that can occur at the same time so it may be interesting:doh:...

I've got to head out so I'll add unboxing pics later tonight. The benchmarks may have to wait because I need to download them (and crysis 2) and only have 1.5 gigs left on my weekly bandwidth limit.
Yeah, I'd deffo update that PSU. Isn't NVidia requirements higher than 620?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by remer;12866315
biggrin.gif
).

Quote:
Each GPU is serviced by five power phases, with each GPU's 1.5GB of GDDR5 memory powered by two phases. This means the card boasts a huge 14+1 power phases, all fed by the pair of 8-pin PCI-E power connectors. Like the HD 6990 4GB, the GTX 590 3GB breaks the PCI-E power spec of 300W combined board power, but it seems as though manufacturers are now attaching less importance to this standard. Nvidia recommends a 700W PSU for systems running a GTX 590 3GB.
I don't think I would try it with something less than recommended specs

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
We want benches, we want benches, we want benches ...

And, if possible oc'locked
smile.gif

·
Registered
288 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soilentblue
View Post

Seriously though, what's the worst that could happen? Can you really hurt the video card by supplying it with too little power? He might as well try it and report the results back to us (instability, etc.).

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soilentblue
View Post

nVidia's specs are for peak power. The 620HX can peak higher than that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did a quick stress test. I think the 620HX will be fine. I'll post watt measurements later. Right now I'm just trying to figure out why windows is only using 9.99 of my 12gb of ram. I just got another 6 gigs today also. I hope i just need to reseat them or something.

I can't believe they already have another set of drivers out. I just downloaded .84 last night. I'm glad they're taking care of whatever issues they find so quickly but this stuff should already have been ironed out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiosis;12870126
Nice...
smile.gif

Use the latest driver: GeForce Driver v267.85 exclusive for GTX 590

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-267.85-driver.html

Peace
Thanks^^
biggrin.gif

I just found a way to bypass my download limit on campus by using a proxy. I downloaded 3dmark 11 and here is the result.
3dmarkp.jpg

I thought it was funny that the drivers aren't approved yet.

I did this with stock gpu settings and my i7 930 at 3.2 ghz. My peak power consumption was 559W, well under 620.
img0077zs.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts