Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a second 7800GT and I want to try to put to more use, so what are some games that are really worth getting that I don't have with great graphics?

System specs below.

Here are the games I already have:

Half Life 2
Counter-strike: source
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Age of Empires III
F.E.A.R.
Far Cry

Are there other games that I should really get along the same lines as these? I've thought about BF2 and CoD 2, but I can't decide if they're worth it or not. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluecow003

I just got a second 7800GT and I want to try to put to more use, so what are some games that are really worth getting that I don't have with great graphics?

System specs below.

Here are the games I already have:

Half Life 2
Counter-strike: source
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Age of Empires III
F.E.A.R.
Far Cry

Are there other games that I should really get along the same lines as these? I've thought about BF2 and CoD 2, but I can't decide if they're worth it or not. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
You definitely want to get CoD 2 it actually has a setting to optimize the game on SLI systems. It's the only game I know of that does. I can't wait to see it as I just set up my sli yesterday but I want to plumb my second card in to the w/c loop before I crank on it.

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
bf2 owns...graphics are great, especially with the expansion pack, in the night levels
definetly worth playing

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. So you guys really think that BF2 and CoD2 are worth paying the money for? I'll have to really look into them.

Also, with Battlefield 2 I've heard that there is a significant increase in performance with 2GB of RAM, so even with SLI 7800GT's would the game still run awesome at 1600x1200 with only 1GB of high performance RAM?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies. I really didn't want to replace the RAM I got. The next time I get more RAM will be for my next rig after Vista comes out.

·
Registered
390 Posts
it loads a ton faster with the second gig. my friends got the same pc as me put with one gig and i load usally 30 sec faster then him when changing levels. other then that no other noticable differacnes.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluecow003

Ok cool. I can live with slower load times. I just didn't want the graphics to suffer.

being first to load every time is nice. got first pick from tanks, helis and can even take a base or two before anyone eles has loaded(push tab while playing).

·
Registered
994 Posts
Stay away from BF2, the game is laggy and will contribute to the evil organization of EA

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by remy5405

being first to load every time is nice. got first pick from tanks, helis and can even take a base or two before anyone eles has loaded(push tab while playing).

I did finally get BF2 about a week and half ago and it's awesome. I also ended up getting a 2GB kit of ram and not only do the levels load faster, it allows me to play with all the settings maxed out. I found out that with SLI the cards will be totally bottlenecked with only 1GB. I went from maxed settings being unplayable to running at constant 70-100 fps with the 2GB kit. If you have SLI, 2GB of ram is a must. BTW, this is with 1600x1200 resolution.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts