Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished assembling and powering on my computer on air to test all the components before installing the WC components, and I'm just wondering how breakable/fryable a PCB is. Putting the CPU block on will be easy, but for the GPU and chipset blocks I need to take apart my brand new GTX480 and Rampage III Extreme heatsinks :/ What are the limits to handling a PCB? Is static electricity really THAT huge a deal or is it really overstated and happens only occasionally (yes, of course I touch an abundance of metal objects before working on anything)? First time watercooling and once the PT Nuke gets here I'm going to start disassembling and I don't want to fry anything

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
If you moonwalk on a carpet for a few hours before handling your GTX 480 you might have a few issues, otherwise just touch your case to ground yourself and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fusion Racing View Post
If you moonwalk on a carpet for a few hours before handling your GTX 480 you might have a few issues, otherwise just touch your case to ground yourself and it'll be fine.
lol moonwalk.

ya u'll b fine. static electricity isn't rly a issue these days. i think that the computer parts used to be a lot more susceptible to dmg. be real careful though and don't speed things. make sure u don't have leaks MAKE SURE. u don't want to blow up your 1k rig because u were lazy.

·
Hold on to your butts!
3,213 Posts
Ever wonder why the elderly wear those rubber sneakers?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah I'll be leak testing for a couple hours, that's a given, but I mean, how much physical stress can a graphics card, for example, take. I mean obviously I don't want to be chucking it around like a backpack, but can I hold it by the sides rather than the edges for example. And can it bend, or does the slightest bend damage it. Things like that, which would also help for the mobo block install.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyap7 View Post
Oh yeah I'll be leak testing for a couple hours, that's a given, but I mean, how much physical stress can a graphics card, for example, take. I mean obviously I don't want to be chucking it around like a backpack, but can I hold it by the sides rather than the edges for example. And can it bend, or does the slightest bend damage it. Things like that, which would also help for the mobo block install.
I wouldn't intentionally bend it, but it'll be fine if it does flex slightly. That said they are rather strong and hard to bend by accident while holding.

·
Registered
3,708 Posts
If you mean how much force you can put on it while applying the new waterblock, it depends really.
I would advise not trying to hold it in your hand while trying to apply it and fasten it, but rather have it on a flat surface where you can press down on it.
I usually have a pretty tight grip on things and have had experience with breaking PCB's by pressing too hard (need a new Xbox 360 controller now), but it shouldn't really be a problem.
Graphics cards can warp over time from weight and it will seem like it is bending in your case. This is bad.

As another poster said, it can have a SLIGHT bend, but it is very fragile and would not recommend trying too hard on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could always get a big piece of polystyrene and put it on there and put the water block on the card that way anything that may bend goes into the polystyrene rather then bending on a hard surface

1 - 9 of 9 Posts