Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say it is quite nice. One thing I was just playing with it there is a CPU frequency scaling monitor. Which basically lets you run your processor at full speed or at a lower speed. Can run my 2.4 at full speed, 2.2,2.0.1.8, or 1 ghz. You do notice a big difference in speed. While it being at 1GHz takes about 3-4 secs to open, but at full speed, it opens instantly, but for some reason my internet does not work, and me not being linux guru am having problems getting it to work. But this is worth the downhload, even if it akes a couple of hours, or a day or 2. Just MO

I have yet to even look at everything on here.

Got internet working. Apparently it deactivates the ethernet ports by default.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Nice... I'll be getting that very soon.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
runs smooth and fast, but like I said, I am not that good at linux, so don't really know what I am doing. Trying to get the flash player 9, but keeps saying I don't have permission to write to the folders.

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
i think / should be bigger (i'm no Linux expert AT ALL tho). Hmm... For installing flash, i think what you gotta do is like go in the flash folder, then right click on an empty space and go to "actions" and "open terminal here." Then find a file named something like "install-flash-player" and type this in:

./install-flash-player

Then it'll ask you some questions before installing. That is the ONLY piece of software i ever got installed successfully under ANY Linux. It's difficult for the beginner (like me lol)

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
K092084, are you using sudo to install flash?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K092084

Which should I make bigger, the "/" or the "/boot" when I install this?

Do you only far one partition (/) or many(/home, /urs, etc).

There is no flash player 9 for Linux only 7. If you want 9 you'd need to run it and firefox(windows version) through WINE, and that doesn't always work.

And to install most things you'll need to be root, just add "sudo" in front of the command.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo

Do you only far one partition (/) or many(/home, /urs, etc).

There is no flash player 9 for Linux only 7. If you want 9 you'd need to run it and firefox(windows version) through WINE, and that doesn't always work.

And to install most things you'll need to be root, just add "sudo" in front of the command.

Yeah, there is a flash 9 for linux, I believe it's beta though. The_Jester told me about it.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

K092084, could you by chance tell me what ethernet adapter your using, as in what model?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CH13f121 - don't know what sudo is. The ethernet are the onboard nforce port on the board. Why is this important, I already got the internet to work, unless need for other reasons.

Hobo - I did only 2 , the / and the /boot. I was just wanting to try it out. I am gonna have to go and resize my partitions, This is when it sucks to have multiple HDs.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, well I am gonna resize my partitions right now, How many do I need for fedora and how big?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121
Yeah, there is a flash 9 for linux, I believe it's beta though. The_Jester told me about it.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer9.html

K092084, could you by chance tell me what ethernet adapter your using, as in what model?
That is freaking sweet. I had always hear they just were going to skip flash 9 for linux and wait for the next.

Quote:
Ok, well I am gonna resize my partitions right now, How many do I need for fedora and how big?
Take a look at the partitioning guide here

I usually make an extend partition and then a bunch of logical one inside that.
/ - 6gb
/boot - 512mb
/swap - 2000mb
/usr - 10gb
/home - 25gb

or you can just make like this
/ -30gb
/boot 512
/swap - 2000mg

• Rep+
Reactions: K092084

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

or you can just make like this
/ -30gb
/boot 512
/swap - 2000mg
Probably do this, because I have set a 60gb partition that I am gonna use for it. So the boot doesn't really have to be big?

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
To install somthing when it says you dont have permision, you install it as "root", or the administrator account. To do this in FC6, ether type su - and type in the root password, or type "sudo" before each command.

"su -" will make you root for EVERY command you type durring that terminal session, so it is advisible to use "sudo" so you dont screw somthing up with out meaning too.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Quote:

Probably do this, because I have set a 60gb partition that I am gonna use for it. So the boot doesn't really have to be big?
no, 512mb is good enough, don't go smaller though. and make sure to put it towards the beginning so its not past the 1024 cylinder range.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

no, 512mb is good enough, don't go smaller though. and make sure to put it towards the beginning so its not past the 1024 cylinder range.
Problem with that, I am dual booting with windows, and the windows partition is on that cylinder.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
As long as its at the beginning of the entended partition it'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, it put there automatically. It finished installing, and I am using to reply right now. But the CPU frequency scaling doesn't work this time though. Also the desktop effects don't work either.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

CH13f121 - don't know what sudo is. The ethernet are the onboard nforce port on the board. Why is this important, I already got the internet to work, unless need for other reasons.

Hobo - I did only 2 , the / and the /boot. I was just wanting to try it out. I am gonna have to go and resize my partitions, This is when it sucks to have multiple HDs.

1- Sudo is Super user do, it lets you run as root for one command.

2- I want to know waht NIC your using, because I have an RTL8168 taht has problems working in FC6

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, well FC6 is reading it as nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet.

Don't know if this is just me, but I can not find the freaking terminal at all. NVM. I am a moron.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts