Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my current rig for a few months. Just installed a 2nd GTX 580. I've made sure it's seated properly, checked all the power cables, i'm using an SLI bridge & confirmed with the mobo that I'm using an approved pci-e slot for the 2nd one.

I've tried putting the sli bridge from the left side, then right side, then flipped the bridge upside down but still nvidia control panel freezes when i open it and its just blank white and won't load.

I uninstalled the drivers restarted and reinstalled the drivers. They were actually the same drivers 266.58 but i still uninstalled and reinstalled. I played eve online and went to graphics with everything maxxed getting 300fps and i go in video and it recognizes gtx 580 1, gtx 580 2. So its getting more fps and detects both...

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
At this point I'd probably try a safe-mode driver sweep if it were me.

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elderfoster;13016609
I had my current rig for a few months. Just installed a 2nd GTX 580. I've made sure it's seated properly, checked all the power cables, i'm using an SLI bridge & confirmed with the mobo that I'm using an approved pci-e slot for the 2nd one.

I've tried putting the sli bridge from the left side, then right side, then flipped the bridge upside down but still nvidia control panel freezes when i open it and its just blank white and won't load.

I uninstalled the drivers restarted and reinstalled the drivers. They were actually the same drivers 266.58 but i still uninstalled and reinstalled. I played eve online and went to graphics with everything maxxed getting 300fps and i go in video and it recognizes gtx 580 1, gtx 580 2. So its getting more fps and detects both...

any ideas?
Let me summarize to make sure I understand you fully:
(1) Both cards were installed without an issue
(2) The only problem is: screen freezing when opening the Control Panel
(3) Windows' Device Manager recognized both cards without an exclamation mark
(4) Played a game and saw framerate improvement due to SLI

Considering (4), I think SLI is recognized and running, at least partially software-wise.

As you are using driver 266.58, I suggest you to try Beta driver 270.51. Not only this driver brings performance improvement to your GTX580, it also (since Beta driver 267.24) '' Fixes an issue where the NVIDIA control panel may not be accessible via the Windows desktop. ''
This could very well be what you are facing with.

(In case driver 270.51 does not work, try 267.31 and 267.24 as well)

Nvidia download link for Beta drivers:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

1 - 4 of 4 Posts