Overclock.net banner

Just installed a Realtime Linux Kernel and WOW.....

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  enorbet2 
#1 · (Edited)
I encourage you guys to install a real-time Linux patch to your kernel....

Real-time computing is insane. After doing alot of research i was mostly seeing benefits for audio equipment, precision hardware and some other stuff.

But after trying to my self, i dont just see a little bit of a performance difference, i see ALOT.

Realtime computing is a whole different ball game....

Now you wont see faster hard drive transfers or tons of extra FPS in games. But what you do see is tons of real world performance gains that are based on latency.

For example, the amount of time it takes to register a key stroke to the computer monitor. Processing tons of small bash commands, opening multiple chrome browsers all at the same time. Even surfing the web seems to be instantaneous... but iam sure you would need a fiber optic connection to notice the difference. Searching your NVME drive for jpg files... open 100 terminals at once.

When it comes to your daily computer use, it feels like your on a whole new system..... Very interesting experiance because when you do research into the real time linux kernel.

Its used in the industry for everything from laser cutting equipment to firing a missile into your house.

But trying it for your self is a whole other game. The experience is simply amazing... I think iam going to make a few you-tube videos of before and after results.

Now if i can manage to get my KVM working on top of this.....

Here is a link to the real time patches if anyone wants to give it a try.

Note that virtual-box and NVIDIA modules wont like being installed on top of a real time kernel as Nvidia does not support the real time kernel.

But it is not that hard to get the Nvidia drivers working for it.

export IGNORE_PREEMPT_RT_PRESENCE=1

Heres 1 part for those, that are willing to give it a go. You wont be disappointed....

See less See more
#2 ·
When it comes to your daily computer use, it feels like your on a whole new system..... Very interesting experiance because when you do research into the real time linux kernel.

Its used in the industry for everything from laser cutting equipment to firing a missile into your house.
I think that industry this will not agree with your enthusiasm.
Laser cutting equipment at a low budget, this is a toy for hobbyist.
Industry for professional use, this is using Windows XP.

#3 ·
would be great to see you make a video on this, this is the first i hear about it and god damn you make it sound so exciting. Could you show disadvantages also? from the perspective of someone who doesn't know anything about realtime linux but a little about linux, this would be very helpful. I might just join you.

#4 ·
I have a prospective New Years Resolution for Linux fans to consider. Instead of or after you see the power of a realtime kernel, why not start learning the several options that make huge differences in your screern time? Start building your own custom kernels. For me it started with the old school geeky community trying to turn our PCs into an embedded system, where the kernel was so pared down it would fit on a floppy. Then one year I started dabbling in DAW and it didn't take long before I stopped buying 1 inch tape. Then I discovered the reaction time difference in gaming! Whoa! I use a stock kernel for about an hour, a little more than the time it takes to "make olddefconfig", "make -j7", "make modules_install" and a few quick copy and link steps and I''m ready to rock.

Try it. You'll like it.

#5 ·
I encourage you guys to install a real-time Linux patch to your kernel....

Real-time computing is insane. After doing alot of research i was mostly seeing benefits for audio equipment, precision hardware and some other stuff.

But after trying to my self, i dont just see a little bit of a performance difference, i see ALOT.

Realtime computing is a whole different ball game....

Now you wont see faster hard drive transfers or tons of extra FPS in games. But what you do see is tons of real world performance gains that are based on latency.

For example, the amount of time it takes to register a key stroke to the computer monitor. Processing tons of small bash commands, opening multiple chrome browsers all at the same time. Even surfing the web seems to be instantaneous... but iam sure you would need a fiber optic connection to notice the difference. Searching your NVME drive for jpg files... open 100 terminals at once.

But trying it for your self is a whole other game. The experience is simply amazing... I think iam going to make a few you-tube videos of before and after results.

Now if i can manage to get my KVM working on top of this.....

Here is a link to the real time patches if anyone wants to give it a try.

Note that virtual-box and NVIDIA modules wont like being installed on top of a real time kernel as Nvidia does not support the real time kernel.

But it is not that hard to get the Nvidia drivers working for it.

export IGNORE_PREEMPT_RT_PRESENCE=1

Heres 1 part for those, that are willing to give it a go. You wont be disappointed....
Fantastic to hear your enthusiasm for the realtime kernel, I built my first on a late 2.6 kernel on slackware-12 or 13. then after getting my first 64bit cpu I used slamd64 a slackware spin off as stock there was no 64bit support. and after a few months I made a realtime kernel as an option for users to try as a vmlinuz-huge-rt separate out of tree package. I still get the WOW when I boot a new RT kernel or custom generic to boot with initrd.gz on EFI. Recently a self build custom vmlinuz-generic-6.2.0-rc3-rt1 running on an AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor overclocked to 4.3Ghz, beat a 12 core Ryzen 9 system on hardinfo FPU raytracing benchmark by 0.3 of a second at 8.34seconds 80% down to rt kernel 20% from my stripped config. stock kernel same 4 core cpu get 12.64 seconds.

Be great to hear how you've grown and hopefully building your own custom kernels. using a hardware specific kernel to your system with extra drivers and sys parts removed you don't have will give big gains. Just take your time doing it in small stages and use google to help. yes alot is modules buttheres a lot of inbuilt stuff you wont need.
let the WOW be shared RT is a huge plus for linux makes MS and APPLE like kids toys.
UrbanMusic 2023

#7 ·
Linux-RT has come a long way, and many other performance oriented Linux kernels have a subset or the entirety of the RT patchset included. One issue is that some applications don't play well with Realtime computation, and it does cause issues in that case. It's definitely still got a bit of the "Wow" factor to it, but that is lessened a lot since the mainline Linux kernel has also seen substantial improvements across the board over the years.
First post in a long while yet again. Just not the same as it once was.

#8 ·
First post in a long while yet again. Just not the same as it once was.
You mean the board? Or linux RT kernel computing?

#9 ·
I have tried RT kernels back in the 2.6 kernel days and wasn't impressed, it kept crashing my xorg. Maybe it's been fixed by now but my first test failed.
The ability to use a realtime or any high performance kernel depends on hardware and hardware settings, often, applied voltages and cooling system quality. Currently I have 6 active PCs including one heavily modified old T61P Thinkpad. All are overclocked but have improved cooling and run custom tickless, realtime kernels. They don't crash even under heavy loads because I shoot for idle temps no more than 50C,. 40C is quite common.

If your PC(s) crash with a realtime kernel, try getting your temps under control whether that means improved cooling or under-volting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.