Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***h4xx View Post

Under load max temp was 32C at stock clock on i5-2500k.
Cant wait to overclock this puppy tonight!!!
biggrin.gif
Jealous man. I installed mine last night too, on my 2600K, and my load temps are 66-70-73-68 under load 4.4GHz @ 1.32v. Ran Prime95 blend for 12h55m though.

Seems a little high to me. They are virtually the same as my H100 (2 fans). It is way quieter though, which is nice.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
@***h4xx
Good luck OCing
thumb.gif

@kulbida
What you switched your H100 for a D14?
A H100 with 2 / 4 fans outperforms a D14 by a tiny bit.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulbida View Post

Jealous man. I installed mine last night too, on my 2600K, and my load temps are 66-70-73-68 under load 4.4GHz @ 1.32v. Ran Prime95 blend for 12h55m though.
Seems a little high to me. They are virtually the same as my H100 (2 fans). It is way quieter though, which is nice.
my 4.4ghz with arctic frezer , never goes above 65C even after a 12hour blend! reseat your cpu cooler!

my ambiants are 23c

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Pete View Post

my 4.4ghz with arctic frezer , never goes above 65C even after a 12hour blend! reseat your cpu cooler!
my ambiants are 23c
I tried reseating it once. I initially used Arctic Cooling MX-4 but then used the Noctua TIM the second go around. Didn't make a difference at all...

As far as the switching from H100, this thing is equally as good as my H100, but worlds quieter. The sound started annoying me with the H100.

Also, how the hell are you 4.4GHz stable at 1.23v?? That is why you are cooler than I am...

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
Quote:

73C is high...really high for that overclock. My 2700k only does 80C after 80+ hours of folding at 1.41v

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went with the D14 instead of H100 simply because I have liquid cooled before and didnt want the hassle nor the 4 fans (and associated rats nest of wiring) noise.
Keeps it simple and no worries about leaks or bubbles in the radiator etc.

Noise really doesnt matter because whenever my 6970 decides its too warm it goes into whirlwind mode lulz.
Only happens at most graphically intense moment of a game for a few seconds then goes away.

I will prime95 for an hour @ stock clock and post temps idle and max, then Ill OC and post same info.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:

I tried reseating it once. I initially used Arctic Cooling MX-4 but then used the Noctua TIM the second go around. Didn't make a difference at all...
As far as the switching from H100, this thing is equally as good as my H100, but worlds quieter. The sound started annoying me with the H100.
Also, how the hell are you 4.4GHz stable at 1.23v?? That is why you are cooler than I am...
haha no clue how 1.24v is stable but it works! turn off pll and try it out
smile.gif

use the rice grain method to apply the TIM and seat the cooler really tight!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
what you done with your h100?

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanage View Post

not to mention the H100 isn't obnoxiously large and covering half your motherboard.
but that's the best part! I love looking into my side panel and seeing an obnoxiously large heatsink. I only have an NH-U12P, not a D14 though.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prescotter View Post

@***h4xx
Good luck OCing
thumb.gif

@kulbida
What you switched your H100 for a D14?
A H100 with 2 / 4 fans outperforms a D14 by a tiny bit.
For the virtual silent nature of the D14 when compared to the h100, the D14 wins in my book. To get the same cooling performance at load as the D14, the h100 tends to become quite loud.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:

Not sure what I`m gonna do with the H100. I got in trouble from admins last time I said I wanted to sell one of my components on here
wink.gif
I guess I need more rep and such.
fear the wrath of the admins!!!! ooooooh

what sort of size difference is the h100 to the dh-14?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:

fear the wrath of the admins!!!! ooooooh
what sort of size difference is the h100 to the dh-14?
The H100 pump block is more attractive than the D14, that is for sure. The radiator sits atop the case, out of view, so that is nice as well. The block is only big enough to cover the socket area, and is about 2 inches high. Really nice design.

Also, I re-seated the D14, and the temps are about the same, peaking at 70C at load (4.4GHz @ 1.32v). What gives? This is annoying me now.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
Quote:

haha no clue how 1.24v is stable but it works! turn off pll and try it out
smile.gif

use the rice grain method to apply the TIM and seat the cooler really tight!
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
what you done with your h100?
I'm 4.6Ghz @ 1.30v so I believe 1.24v can manage 4.4Ghz OC. Good chip's we have, sir!

62c 67c 71c 67c my temps @ max load ([email protected]) fluxuates to 64c 70c 70c 68c sometimes too.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

but that's the best part! I love looking into my side panel and seeing an obnoxiously large heatsink. I only have an NH-U12P, not a D14 though.
your right. different strokes for different folks.

I was getting low 60s with my H100 with my 2500k running 4.8 at 1.41v prime95 for hours. could hyperthreading be the reason for that much more heat?

·
Premium Member
9,511 Posts
Quote:

Have you aligned the fans right??
As in, having them so the centres are aligned. So the dead spots of the fans are aligned
smile.gif

·
Registered
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHILEE5 View Post

Quote:

Have you aligned the fans right??
As in, having them so the centres are aligned. So the dead spots of the fans are aligned
smile.gif
I have them in the exact spots Noctua shipped them in. I counted, and they are clipped in between the 14th and 15th fin on the heatsink.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually used the least amount of thermal paste seating this D14 than I ever have on any cooler before.
Probably about 1/2 a grain of rice, to me a pea would be a massive amount of paste.
As for fan positioning, I placed both fans in the 15'th fin slot.
Also I did not lap the cpu or the cooler.

The installation was very straight forward, also seems to be quite secure.

Id give the D14 a 10/10.
Includes everything you need, installs easily, and performs well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts