Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running on a single MSI Twin Frozr III 7950 Boost Edition on a single 1080p monitor. I just placed an order for a Sapphire Dual-x 7950 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006 ) and am going to run the two cards in crossfire still using my single monitor. I think I am just going to do a clean install of windows when I get the second card just to start everything fresh and get rid of all the drivers since I did a re-install recently I don't have too much on my computer so it would be pretty easy to just re-install windows. I am running on windows 7 64 bit.

I have never crossfired or SLI'd cards before so I have no idea what to do. What drivers should I download? and in what order? Is there some drivers that I shoudn't install because I'm not going to be running multiple monitors? Are there any tips, tricks, or advice that anyone can give me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot guys!! Any help is much appreciated!

·
Banned
2,509 Posts
there is no need to reinstall windows, specially if you recently did, waste of time

you dont have to do anything but put the card in, and then enable crossfire on catalyst

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealio View Post

there is no need to reinstall windows, specially if you recently did, waste of time

you dont have to do anything but put the card in, and then enable crossfire on catalyst
Oh really? I thought it was A LOT more complicated than that. Wow haha. Where in CCC would it show the option for crossfire to be enabled?

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
You may have to reinstall drivers. No need for uninstallation,. Just reinstall the same drivers.

No need for a clean install of Windows. But I may be OCD and still reinstall Windows for a bug free system.

Usually, when you install new drivers, it detects multiple cards and ask you if you want to run into Crossfire Mode.

Click GO.

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea me MSI TFIII is running at 1200/1575 so I figure I'll have to lower that a little because unless I'm the luckiest guy in the world I won't be able to OC the Sapphire that high. I'll def post some results. DOES anyone know where I can find a non-boost Sapphire BIOS? I might need to flash both cards to non-boost BIOS's because I heard from a couple people and from reading threads that when in crossfire the clocks sometimes drop down while in 3dmark or in games and gives you less performance. I already have the MSI TFIII non-boost BIOS, but I just want to have the Sapphire one on-hand just in case that becomes a problem.

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=ATI&manufacturer=Sapphire&model=HD+7950&interface=PCI-E&memSize=3072

I dont know how to tell which one is a non-boost edition.

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since I'm just re-installing the same drivers do I have to use driver sweeper or can I just uninstall and then download and re-install?

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

Since I'm just re-installing the same drivers do I have to use driver sweeper or can I just uninstall and then download and re-install?
If you are using same drivers, just reinstall them over the other driver. Dont proceed to a complete uninstallation.

If you encounter bugs, then you need to uninstall old ones.

My procedure
  1. Uninstall any CAP (Catalyst Application Profiles)
  2. Uninstall MSI afterburner and delete the installation folder (If installed)
  3. Run ATI Cleanup Utility 1.2.1.0 (Beware AMD CPU and Windows 8 users)
  4. Reboot when the process is done
  5. Remove the Registry entries of your cards
  6. Uninstall AMD drivers in Device manager
  7. (without rebooting)Then I proceed to a full DriverCleaner.net cleaning (optionnal, or use any other software)
  8. Reboot
  9. Upon reboot, it will detect cards and ask for another reboot
  10. Reboot again
  11. Install new drivers

For a guide on how to remove the registry entries: AMD how to Thread (Located in Manual driver uninstall section)

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaRLiToS View Post

If you are using same drivers, just reinstall them over the other driver. Dont proceed to a complete uninstallation.

If you encounter bugs, then you need to uninstall old ones.

My procedure
  1. Uninstall any CAP (Catalyst Application Profiles)
  2. Uninstall MSI afterburner and delete the installation folder (If installed)
  3. Run ATI Cleanup Utility 1.2.1.0 (Beware AMD CPU and Windows 8 users)
  4. Reboot when the process is done
  5. Remove the Registry entries of your cards
  6. Uninstall AMD drivers in Device manager
  7. (without rebooting)Then I proceed to a full DriverCleaner.net cleaning (optionnal, or use any other software)
  8. Reboot
  9. Upon reboot, it will detect cards and ask for another reboot
  10. Reboot again
  11. Install new drivers

For a guide on how to remove the registry entries: AMD how to Thread (Located in Manual driver uninstall section)
I dont know if I'm just stupid, but I can't seem to find a download for ATI Cleanup Utility?

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I'm going to be playing a lot of Crysis 3 so I'm going to have to use the 12.11 CAP 2. Do you guys think I should also just use the 13.2 Beta instead of using the 13.1?

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
for crysis 3 the preferred driver is the crysis 3 launch driver 13.2 beta 6. it resolves certain aa corruption (aliasing artifacts). with 13.1 performance is poor. AMD made massive perf improvements for MSAA with 13.2 beta 4 (close to 40 - 45%) . so use 13.2 beta 6. also this driver has the latest CAP integrated. so there is no need for seaprate CAP installation.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst132BetaDriver.aspx

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh thank you! So I don't have to download the 12.11 CAP2?

·
Premium Member
9,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavageTheEarth View Post

Oh thank you! So I don't have to download the 12.11 CAP2?
No, all 13.x drivers have ALL the "Catalyst Application Profiles" included

13.2 beta 6 has all profiles you need too.

Catalyst profiles are usually important only when a game releases after the driver release, so there is no Profiles yet inside the driver for the NEW GAME so adding CAP will optimize this new game.

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok cool I'm hoping I have some luck with this crossfire setup and not encounter too many problems

1 - 15 of 15 Posts