Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
d[ o_0 ]b
7,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have XP 32bit regular windows installed on my desktop.

i just upgraded my RAM to a 4GB kit i bought. and of course i only get 3GB out of the 4. so i know i should run 64bit OS.

was wondering if its worth it to get a 64bit OS and what yall would suggest as the best OS for me. i use my computer to surf the web a little bit and compete in cod4.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by OSDCrusher View Post
Go for XP 64-bit.
I would say 64bit Vista I love it... never really had a problem with it. But it comes down to personal choice which OS you like better. Personally I cant go back to XP but thats my personal opinion some people here love it.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Well if you don't do anything besides COD4 and web surf. Then I don't see much point going 64 bit or even changing your OS for that matter. Though eventually you should look at Windows 7, 64 bit of course.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Windows 7 64bit can use both 32bit and 64bit drivers/software. I've done some testing at work and for the most part Windows 7 will run as fast as Windows XP.

Also if you have certain programs or drivers that will only work with older Windows versions (9x,ME,NT,2k,XP) you can get Windows XP Mode with Windows 7 Business / Ultimate that runs the applications in a virtual Windows XP almost seemlessly in Windows 7.

You gain the security improvements and still have a pretty smooth OS experience. But, and there is always a but isn't there? You'll be getting the RC1 which is only free until March 2010...

Other OSs and why i didn't recommend them:
XP 64bit - Clunky and problematic from past experiences, Vista and 7 64bit are better by miles
Vista 64bit - A bit of a hog on resources compared to 7 but can work well if you know how to tweak it.
Linux 64bit - No reason not to other than you posted in a Windows Forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts