Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from MicroCenter with my new toys,
EVGA X58 SLI 1366 ATX Motherboard (132-BL-E758-A1)
Intel® Boxed Core® i7 Processor 920
Corsair Memory XMS3 6GB DDR3-1600 (PC-12800) CL9 DIMM Memory Kit
and
Raptor 150GB 10,000RPM Serial ATA-150 Hard Drive

Im going to be installing it in my Antec 900 with my EVGA 260 core 216, CM V8
and the CM RealPower Pro PSU

Before I shutdown my pc and rip it apart to install my new stuff does anyone here that has a similar setup or is knowledgeable with the EVGA X58 1366
Bios settings for this board as in important things like voltages as in what to do and what not to do, etc.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
yeah, first off, there are a few great threads on the evga site about updating your bios. As far as BIOS settings, you could always use the dummy O.C. and take a note of your voltages in the eleet software once in windows before you start working up your OC in bios.

There are guides here about that exact OC.

here's one on here

here's one on the evga forum

and here's how to update the BIOS

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool thanks Trogalicious! I totally forgot about evga's forums once I started comming here everyday, lol!

And yes I'll be ebaying my mobo, ram and cpu under username MPETROWSKY very soon!

·
Premium Member
2,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghozt302
View Post

cool thanks Trogalicious! I totally forgot about evga's forums once I started comming here everyday, lol!

And yes I'll be ebaying my mobo, ram and cpu under username MPETROWSKY very soon!

no worries, keep in mind that all of the information on evga forums is here as well... and it's BETTER here!

yes, yes it is.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
nice rig dude
. enjoy it...

as for a useful tidbit of info, back up the data on your OS HDD if needed, and then format it for installing a new copy of windows.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright I got it all hooked up and installed XP pro with 0 problems!
Thank god I had a usb floppy drive! this board has no onboard floppy, haha.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
great to hear

how is she benching?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol havent got there yet! D/L'n 3dmark now though plus I gotta figure out the bios on this thing, its a bit different from the 780I

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok first results are kinda low but I havent tweeked anything or even set my DDR up to the correct speed. Still kinda lower than I Thought I'd get..

3DMark Score 16176 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 6287
SM 3.0 Score 7193
CPU Score 5276

My highest score before with my Q9550 oc'd to 3.8 was 3DMark Score 17117 3DMarks
Shame I forgot to record my high for my Q9650 but i dont think it was much higher.

Now I gotta figure out how to set my ram to it right speed and then figure out how to get a decent stable 24/7 OC going.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and almost completely reassembled, it runs and has XP Pro x64 installed
(if you plan on an x58 get a usb floppy, I got a dynex usb flpy from best buy for cheap, theres no floppy controller on the evga X58 SLI)

When I got this case I completely drilled and removed all the rivets and painted each piece, cut the mobo tray to wire up my 780I mobo, its a shame cuz the X58 SLI is almost 1" to 1" & 1/2" 's off for all the connections from where my cut outs are =( anyone want to trade that has a clean tray and a 780I? hehe Plus I didnt Rivet the top back on, I just use some standard case screws to secure that back on so I can Remove it at will, pretty neat I thought!

Will post some more later!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, I finally am getting even happier with my Purchase!
finally did some overclocking got 3801MHZ but for some reason ORB result analyzer says 3611MHZ?
Still having some confusion with getting my RAM to run at DDR 1600 though, more guides to read I guess.

Your system
3DMark Score
20125 3DMarks
SM 2.0 Score 8112
SM 3.0 Score 8348
CPU Score 7162

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm guessing you have a 181 BCLK with turbo running and Orb didn't pick up the 21 multi, just the 20 multi...just a thought.

If you are trying to get your Ram over 1600 start by dropping your OC down. Set your CPU multi lower, like really low...15-16 ish and no turbo. Then work with the different multi'sx8/x10/x12 to put your ram at a speed of 1600+. Get a copy of Memtest and make a bootable thumb drive or something like Hirens boot cd/thumb drive and run that from DOS before windows. MEMTEST STABLE DOES NOT EQUAL OS STABLE!! It's to show where you memory cannot go and to give you a general idea of it's range. Find your maximum in memtest at a couple of different timing settings. You should be able to get higher with 8-8-8-24 than with 7-7-7-18 for example. Write them down for your records.

Now boot into whichever OS you use and do some memory stress tests. Regardless of what your ram is running your CPU should be at stock speeds or at least a very low OC so that your CPU is not able to cause any errors in your tests. I like running LinX and MemTestHCi which a windows program very similar to Memtest that you ran in DOS environment. Remember that you will probably not be able to use your absolute maximum ram speeds but at least you will know your upper boundaries somewhat.

Good luck and have fun. Trial and error, and keep a written record.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really just want to run it at its rated speed, 1600. I did not realize that the Core I7's memory controller is only 1066? and anything higher must be overclocked for the ram, At least I believe that what a read last night.

Really I want 3.8GHZ with my ram at its rated speed, while 4.0 would be nice but I doubt I could run that stable come summer, my room gets hot and AC is expensive to run 24/7.

I have had it running at 4.1 stable but ram was.. Actually I dont know what it was im still unclear on anything with the ram but i believe it was 1066.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well, I don't have an EVGA. I have a DFI DK X58 though. The stock speed of 1066 Ram means one of two things. Either it is locked in at that speed(I doubt it) or it has you set for a memory multiplier of 8x. If your BCLK was 181 then your Ram was @ 1448 and your UnCore was over 2900ish. CPU-Z can give that information too just remember that it reports your memory at half what you are used to reading. For example, the memory panel on CPU-Z will say 724 for 1448Ram.
If you want to achieve 3.8G with your ram at 1600+ start checking what bclks and multipliers get you there. Obviously 200BCLK with an 8x(1066) multi 160BCLK and 10x and 133BCLK with 12x all come to mind. There's the bclk ranges that easily make 1600 anyways.

Turn on turbo for 21x CPU multi at 160BCK puts you at 3.36Ghz. Anything after that and your overclocking your ram which it may or may not do well. Turbo off 19 multi and 200BCLK gives you 3.8G and 1600ram right on if you can run it.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cant thank you enough, I know my set 775 bios inside and out but this X58 bios at first is just overwhelming, its really the memory settings that are confusing me, I guess since the memory controller is built in to the cpu now it makes it totally different. I'm guessing that's why I couldn't ever boot with my memory at 2:12, because with the x20-x21 multi it was overclocking the ram way out of spec.. it never occurred to me that's what was going on. DUH! I think my next round of adjustments will be successful and I owe big thanks +REP to you Nebuchadnezzar!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts