Overclock.net banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
7,493 Posts
Get yourself a nice 24" 1080P monitor with a blu-ray player if your into movies. Get some games to justify upgrading your computer anymore

· Registered
5,523 Posts
To the OP:

I too got a Q9550, and I dont regret it one bit.

At best the the Core i7 would beat my system by a hair, 5-10 percent at most.

I'm happy with my current performance, and I think you should be too.

You're better off waiting even longer and waiting until 32nm architecture (Sandybridge) or even 22nm architecture (Haswell).

I'm also glad you got the UD3P. It's a solid board. They say your chip hasn't hit it's limit until its been in a UD3P.

Good luck.

Jam3s

· Registered
2,948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveJMason
View Post

..or will it make little difference its not worth the price and hassle?

That one!

You've got a pretty kick-ass system already mate. Unless you're doing some super duper extreme number crunching (which most of us are not), you'll be perfectly fine with your Quad. I don't intend on moving on from my Q9550 for a long long long time.

Core i7 hasn't been shown to give great performance over Core 2 in gaming, so if that's your primary use, don't bother. In fact, only bother if you're calculating Pi, folding, or encoding MASSIVE amounts of video.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

• Rep+
Reactions: SteveJMason

· Premium Member
7,052 Posts
well u can do a i7 build for $490 right now off newegg.
u could get close to that for all your stuff
its $490 with a msi x58 + i7 920 combo deal and 3gb of crucial ddr3.

· !
18,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveJMason
View Post

I built my Signature system just before i7 came out..

My question is.. was i wrong to not wait and go i7?
Should i sell up and go for it now?..
..or will it make little difference its not worth the price and hassle?

Also any recommendations on my system apreciated

You have a really good system

If I were you, I'd wait for the next revision of i7

· Registered
373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude
View Post

well u can do a i7 build for $490 right now off newegg.
u could get close to that for all your stuff
its $490 with a msi x58 + i7 920 combo deal and 3gb of crucial ddr3.

Links?

Edit: Nevermind, I found them

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Again, thanks to everyone for advice, i feel at bit more at ease about my purchases lol! (REP+)

I think i am going to stick with the UD3P board because of all the amazing reviews, and absolutely no one I have talked to could say anything bad about it! (Surely CF cant be THAT bad on it?) OR even if i do get a second X2 GPU in the future, i will probably wait for the next big ATI Series and sell the 4870x2 =)

Cant wait to squeeze the best out of my chip on the UD3P! Should come today!

Does Newegg ship to the UK ? ? ?

· Premium Member
2,593 Posts
Actually, If you want a noticeable performance gain, get some SSD's. You will actually notice the speed difference in your daily use, compared to the minimal increment of the i7.

And a single X2 4870 is more than enough for that 20" of yours. I'd upgrade to a bigger monitor first, and then think about a second X2. Otherwise you'd be seriously bottlenecking your setup.

· Registered
2,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveJMason View Post

Cant wait to squeeze the best out of my chip on the UD3P! Should come today!

You should have no problem at all getting your 9650 to 4GHz+ without too much trouble on the UD3P. And you will see quite an improvement if your quad is still at stock CPU frequency.

Remember to disable Load Line Calibration in BIOS though as there's no guarentee that it's safe on 45nm chips as yet as far as I know.

· Registered
646 Posts
I built an i7 and I think it just isn't worth the price.

I am really starting to think of all computers as sub $500 machines like the Eee Box or the MSI Wind PC. I see the custom built computer scene dying out in the near future.

· Registered
1,634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift. View Post
And a single X2 4870 is more than enough for that 20" of yours. I'd upgrade to a bigger monitor first, and then think about a second X2. Otherwise you'd be seriously bottlenecking your setup.
Agreed.

· Banned
25,481 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift. View Post
Actually, If you want a noticeable performance gain, get some SSD's. You will actually notice the speed difference in your daily use, compared to the minimal increment of the i7.

Inches, not pixels. It doesn't matter how physically big it is, if it's only 1680X1050, the GPU won't care.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.