Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered one of these babies and was wondering what results people are getting on HD Tune.
Was also thinking about putting the 640gb and one of my 500gb in Raid 0 .Would that work.?
I know that I will only have access to 1000gb than
But oone of my 500gb has an average read time of 98mb/s which is as good as a 640gb and wanted to take avantage of it by putting it in raid 0 with the 640gb

·
Registered
374 Posts
I do believe since you are putting the new Black drive with an older drive in RAID0, the write speed of the black will be limited by the old drives write speeds. The black is a fast drive, and you will see a performance increase, but not as much as if you had two black drives (unless I missed that the 500gb is a black drive too).

EDIT: Nevermind. I see they are all blacks. I have heard that the 640 do have faster speeds than the 500, so you may get a little limiting, but not much.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got my 640gb Black and ran a test using HD Tune.Do these results seem normal,bad, or good.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
the results are excelent

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pm1109
View Post

Just got my 640gb Black and ran a test using HD Tune.Do these results seem normal,bad, or good.

Honestly, those results are average for a single drive.

On my sig rig (with an Opteron 165), I used to have 2x 1TB Seagate ES.2 drives in a RAID-0. I was getting roughly 250MB/s average with them short-stroked. So when you go RAID-0 you should see a pretty decent performance boost

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmenianLegend
View Post

the results are excelent

One questions for you.I want to put the 640gb black and one of my 500gb black in Raid O.Is that possible .Here is the hd tune result of the 500gb black.See below.Its at 98mb/s average.
So therefore the 640 & 500 would be (500 x 2) correct And the average m/bs would be (96 x 2) =192MB/S.Is that right.
Also thinking about short stroking the two drives to about 250Gb than as I dont need the rest of the space

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

Honestly, those results are average for a single drive.

On my sig rig (with an Opteron 165), I used to have 2x 1TB Seagate ES.2 drives in a RAID-0. I was getting roughly 250MB/s average with them short-stroked. So when you go RAID-0 you should see a pretty decent performance boost

I want to put the 640gb with the fast 500gb in Raid O and than short stroke them to 250gb or so.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
raiding them together u'll get 1tb of storage, and ur 640 will be as fast as ur 500, and u wont get double the speed but close to it more like 90% of the theoratical speed.

and remember u shortstroking doesnt make the drive faster it DOES lower access times but all it does is alow the drive to keep a constant speed instead of dropign down at the end.

and lastly if u shortstrok ur 1tb to 250gb ull still have another partition for 750gb which u can use for storage

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

View Post

and lastly if u shortstrok ur 1tb to 250gb ull still have another partition for 750gb which u can use for storage

Not if you want to keep the benefits of the short stroking you won't.

If you use the rest of the disk, you will force the read heads away from your OS partition every time you access your storage partition. This results in LONG seeks, and kills off all the performance benefits that short-stroking brings. The only thing I would consider using the remaining space for would be a RAID1 array containing images of my OS partition as backup (ie files that never normally need to be used).

If you want fast, don't use the extra space. Buy a 1TB Green for storage.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast
View Post

If you use the rest of the disk, you will force the read heads away from your OS partition every time you access your storage partition. This results in LONG seeks, and kills off all the performance benefits that short-stroking brings. The only thing I would consider using the remaining space for would be a RAID1 array containing images of my OS partition as backup (ie files that never normally need to be used).

But i can put the 640gb and 500gb in raid 0 right.My 500gb averages 98mb/d whilst the 640 averages 96mb/s average read .So it would be (96 x 2).When i short stroke I wont use the rest of the space It will be left unpartioned.I want to get the best possible performance and use only 250gb of the 1tb.What sort of access times can i get if i short stroke to about 250gb?

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I
View Post

putting them in raid 0 would give you 500gb not 1000

Wrong. He will have 1tb of storage.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast
View Post

what?

storing music movies and such dont get accessed on the 750gb wile gaming and surfing the net.....seting it as raid1 ?!?!?!?! do u even kno how LONG that would take?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pm1109
View Post

But i can put the 640gb and 500gb in raid 0 right.My 500gb averages 98mb/d whilst the 640 averages 96mb/s average read .So it would be (96 x 2).When i short stroke I wont use the rest of the space It will be left unpartioned.I want to get the best possible performance and use only 250gb of the 1tb.What sort of access times can i get if i short stroke to about 250gb?

in the sub 10's

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slothfish
View Post

Wrong. He will have 1tb of storage.

Huh?
Raid 0 is the version where you write 50% of the data on each HDD.
Therefor being limited by the lesser drive aka 500 gb?

Please enlighten me.

about the HDtune.
The raid0 is slightly faster than my single drive....and I don't think that is something awesome :<

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

View Post

in the sub 10's

is it worth it than.
I play alot of games and some of the loading times are pretty long

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inktfish
View Post

Huh?

Please enlighten me.

about the HDtune.
The raid0 is slightly faster than my single drive....and I don't think that is something awesome :<

what hd tune results.Its not in Raid 0 yet.Only testing as single drives right now!

·
Premium Member
4,775 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inktfish
View Post

Huh?

Please enlighten me.

about the HDtune.

Yup, that's how it works. Why are you confused by my post?

• Rep+
Reactions: Inktfish
1 - 20 of 42 Posts