Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... soo managed to shatter the screen of my Samsung Focus S (longish story wont go into that right now) and was just wondering if there .. really is anything i can do at this point other then buying a new phone (since i dont buy used, bad experiences), screen replacement maybe? Although i couldn't find to much info on this on the focus s.
redface.gif

Thanks for the help
blushsmiley.gif

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzalias View Post

We want pictures!
haha,
tongue.gif
the only camera is my phone ^_^;; ... well maybe ill see what i can muster up

Sidenote: But looking at it .. looks like the gorilla glass might have held up after taking off some the paint scuffs but the AMOLED ... didnt fare so well

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmania View Post

If the lcd screen is broken, the fix will run above $100. If the digitizer is cracked, then it is a much cheaper fix.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=samsung+focus+lcd+digitizer
ahh okay, sry i dont know too much about phone tech, the digitizer is the amoled itself? and the screen is the gorilla glass?
redface.gif

hmmm good to know that i can find parts for this sort of stuff
tongue.gif
although those are for the first focus (which i cant find at the moment -__- ) the current model i have is the I937
frown.gif

+rep

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
Only thing to do is replace UT. Like the other member posted, the party you have to buy depends on what's cracked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

Only thing to do is replace UT. Like the other member posted, the party you have to buy depends on what's cracked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Ah okay, so i would probably have to take it appart to know for sure?

At least from what i can tell as of now the cracks are only where the "screen" part is (so where they are in the pic is where they end). the top gorilla glass doesnt seem to have any part raised, and cant feel any the cracks when i run my finger over it. +rep

·
Audiofool
3,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNytAftr View Post

ahh okay, sry i dont know too much about phone tech, the digitizer is the amoled itself? and the screen is the gorilla glass?
redface.gif
You've got it backwards. The digitizer is the glass which is a much cheaper replacement than if you had broken the actual display.

• Rep+
Reactions: DNytAftr

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJRhoades View Post

You've got it backwards. The digitizer is the glass which is a much cheaper replacement than if you had broken the actual display.
ah shoot... probably should be expecting an expensive-ish fix then, since the screen doesn't even turn on or anything, just black
frown.gif
Although the phone still rings
biggrin.gif
.. just cant pick it up -__-;; reps

Edit: probably something like this im guessing
frown.gif
though not sure how reputable that site is

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
from what I know; samsung glues the AMOLED (display) directly to the glass......so you'll have to replace both if the glass is cracked

but then again I could be wrong so you'll be better off asking a real expert
wink.gif

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Yeah at least Galaxy Note has the digitizer and amoled glued together. There is a guide on xda how to replace one or the other on the Note.
But yeah, I think you're better off replacing them both, lot less hassle.
But on the price, digitizer and amoled should cost under 100$.
Also yeah, you're better off if you ask at XDA about this, there should lot of experts.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all,
biggrin.gif
this morning i found my old Focus i917 so for now ill be using it as my phone. But i do intend on fixing my focus s i937.

By the sounds of it i will probably be needing to replace the digitizer and the display as well because its glued
frown.gif
hah, i was thinking of getting a focus s with a broken digitizer but working lcd since i thought i could swap it out, but this is really good to know that i would need both it working condition (saves alot of effort i would think)
tongue.gif
But parts for the "focus" (i917) will not work on the "focus s" i937 since they are pretty different.
frown.gif

Just by chance any ideas on where i might be able to find a screen + digi from? I think eventually i will ask on XDA (when im not as busy as well) but at the moment feel more confortable with posting here
biggrin.gif

+Reps where its due

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you're feeling adventurous here's the guide I was talking about.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1487716
Of course you should use the Focus S disassembly guide (which should exist somewhere..) with the unglueing part of that guide I linked.
As for where to buy replacement screen and digitizer, well I went through ebay and couldn't find any i937 replacement parts.

·
Registered
507 Posts
My Focus S has a crack going across the bottom, but otherwise in perfect shape. Let me know how the screen replacement works out. I can't find one online. Have you asked the ATT store near you?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagittaja View Post

If you're feeling adventurous here's the guide I was talking about.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1487716
Of course you should use the Focus S disassembly guide (which should exist somewhere..) with the unglueing part of that guide I linked.
As for where to buy replacement screen and digitizer, well I went through ebay and couldn't find any i937 replacement parts.
ah nice thanks
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquinn19 View Post

My Focus S has a crack going across the bottom, but otherwise in perfect shape. Let me know how the screen replacement works out. I can't find one online. Have you asked the ATT store near you?
Not yet, i was going to see if i can talk to samsung possibly or find another store with parts .. might see if att knows anything, dunno if they will be to helpful though
frown.gif
(think they will say just replace it or something around those lines)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I'm kind of in the same boat, I focus s screen shattered can I just stick my motherboard in a new phone and have all my data? Or do I have to do the unglue the screen and whatnot? Has anyone tried this?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts