Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently got interested in building my next computer after seeing and hearing about my buddy's recent endeavors. He's a member here and turned me onto the site. The threads I've read have been informative, awesome, and downright crazy sometimes. I love it.

I'm in the process of building my first computer from scratch and I'm down for any advice I can find. I'm an experienced gamer but an inexperienced builder. My Dad was an engineer for Honeywell when he was alive, but other than his stubbornness, I didn't exactly follow in his shoes.

Here's what I've got so far:
Corsair 650HD case
Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
Corsair H60 CPU heatsink
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 @1600
Mechanical HD
CDR/DVDR optical drive
Silverstone external to internal 19pin USB 3.0 adapter

Pretty much decided on but not purchased:
i5 2500k CPU
MSI Z68A GD55(G3) Mobo
Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD

Open to suggestions:
Video card $150-$300
Accessories
Fan controllers
Things I'm leaving out?

Questions?
1. I'm never going to run two video cards, do I need a Mobo with two PCI 3.0 Express cards?
2. Do I even need PCI 3.0 express cards?
3. Are there any glaring stupid decisions in my build?

Word,
TJ

·
Registered
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificTJ View Post

Thermaltake TR2 RX 850W
I have never had good luck with Thermaltake's quality or customer service, and I think some people would agree with me. For power supply brands, the best built ones are usually re-branded Seasonics, and unless there is something I absolutely need from another brand, I try not to steer too far away from them. Seasonics often offer some of the best internals with the best efficiency, but they can definitely run up in price. Just something to consider next time you buy. Hopefully you won't have any problem.

Quote:

Corsair Force Series 120GB SSD
Be sure to prioritize an SSD for your build. It is the best investment you can make. The Force series drives are fantastic, so that is a good choice.

Quote:

1. I'm never going to run to video cards, do I need a Mobo with two PCI 3.0 Express cards?
No, you don't need two lanes, but if you are choosing now, why not ensure that you have the option should you change your mind in the future.

Quote:

2. Do I even need PCI 3.0 express cards?
To my knowledge, the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 isn't even saturated yet. Maybe I'm wrong and there is some other amazing advantage to 3.0 but I'm not aware of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts