Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the overclocking guide for my graphics card and now I want to test it out. I jsut had a few questions first. I knwo that futuremark's software 3DMark05,03, and 01 are the best ones to run along wtih the aqua thing. I have 3DMark 03 sitting infront of me. Do I just run the benchmark and let it sit? Is there any risk to my video card while its running on overclocked settings? How long should it take to get my scores/how long should I let it sit?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Only thing you need to worry about is heat, as usual. And if the card is starting to overheat you'll usually start seeing weird missplaced color/pixels on the screen. That's also the sign the card just won't go any more. 03 takes about 11 min to run I believe, and 01 takes about 6-7. To test for stability, I'd loop 03 2 or 3 times and watch closely, signs of instability can be something as small as a misplaced shadow.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Only thing you need to worry about is heat, as usual. And if the card is starting to overheat you'll usually start seeing weird missplaced color/pixels on the screen. That's also the sign the card just won't go any more. 03 takes about 11 min to run I believe, and 01 takes about 6-7. To test for stability, I'd loop 03 2 or 3 times and watch closely, signs of instability can be something as small as a misplaced shadow.

oki, thats cool. I thought it might be like ATI tool and it serached for artifacts itself, and I could leave itw hile I sleep. guess not. lol o well.

Just two more quike questions: Are artifacts caused by over heating? and is the FPS affected by any other factors besides your graphics card (ie: Proc, RAM, mobo?)

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
artifacts are missing data, or instability. It can be caused by heat or just that the components won't go any further. You can use ATiTool to detect artifacts, but it only runs for 30seconds to test, not nearly long enough in my opinion. You can use it to get a baseline and then do more extensive testing. FPS is determined by a lot of things, the speed of your system which include CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, system configuration... everything that makes the computer do what it does

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

artifacts are missing data, or instability. It can be caused by heat or just that the components won't go any further. You can use ATiTool to detect artifacts, but it only runs for 30seconds to test, not nearly long enough in my opinion. You can use it to get a baseline and then do more extensive testing. FPS is determined by a lot of things, the speed of your system which include CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, system configuration... everything that makes the computer do what it does

Oki, awsome, thanks for the help
Im glad to hear about that thing about the heat. I was worried that my card might over heat without artifacts appearing and then me having a bubling mass of videocard and no artifacts
Thanks for the help again YiffyGriffy

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
lol I want to melt a video card now... that would be awesome
Well anyway, best of luck to you

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

lol I want to melt a video card now... that would be awesome
Well anyway, best of luck to you

lmao, I can just see it now. *calls little brother* "Hey <instert lil bros name here> can you poke that and tell me if its melting?" "OWW!!!" "Yup, I think I pushed it just a Tinsy bit to far..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts