Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed windows on my F3 and now I want to used that for files and my SSD as a boot drive. I just want to make sure I am doing all of this right.

Unplug F3
Install SSD
Plug in SSD
Install windows on SSD
Install drivers
Turn off
Replug in F3
Set boot drive in BIOS to SSD
Boot SSD
Drag and drop files that I want on my SSD from my F3

Done?

Do I need to format the F3 because it has windows on it to make it a sufficient storage drive?

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
- Backup any files you want to keep.
- Format/uninstall Windows from F3.
- Remove F3 from computer.
- Plug only the SSD in the computer.
- Install Windows on SSD.
- Set boot order to SSD first.
- Put F3 back in computer.
- If you want to format the F3, do it through Windows.
- Put media/storage files on F3.

If you then want to optimize Windows for SSD, this is a good guide for it:

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/700470-...ows-7-ssd.html

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I installed everything without formatting my F3. I wan't to convert my settings of my F3 onto my SSD. I tried to drag and drop the Program Files and Program Files x86 but my SSD told me I don't have enough space on it. Should I just set up all of the preferences manually?

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterX
View Post

Do I need to format the F3 because it has windows on it to make it a sufficient storage drive?

Sure, eventually - or you can just delete the Windows folder and stuff.

Once you're sure you've got everything... purge Program Files... and then eventually delete your user profile off it.

Note: You'll require Hidden and System files to be visible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterX
View Post

I wan't to convert my settings of my F3 onto my SSD. I tried to drag and drop the Program Files and Program Files x86 but my SSD told me I don't have enough space on it.

Settings are usually stored somewhere in your user profile. (C:\\Users\\%UserName%\\Local Settings\\Application Data, for example)

You'll have to poke around. While searching, I recommend using WinDirStat. It can show you folder and file sizes, helping you to pick what goes on your SSD and what goes elsewhere.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Quote:

Basically I want to have the same interface same pinbar same background same everything on my SSD but do I have to do all of that manually?

No. You can press the windows key then type easy transfer.

Quote:

I tried to drag and drop the Program Files and Program Files x86 but my SSD told me I don't have enough space on it.

Confused about what you are trying to accomplish. Are you trying to avoid reinstalling your programs?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts