Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be making a case out of tubes and plexi/lexan.

Just in the design phase, and wanted an opinion on fan overlay for top of the case.

This will the be top cover for the case. I am 50 / 50 so wanted some input on aesthetics of it

Left or right

Thanks for any input.

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Left would be more durable

·
Premium Member
5,295 Posts
Left is structurally more sound. The bending moment along the 'beam' is directly proportional to its length. So, the Right design with a longer length will be more susceptible to vibration.

Additionally, putting 2 fans on the same 'beam' will also introduce the possibility of resonance.

Aesthetically, I would still prefer Left.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, didn't even think about the resonance interference.

BTW these are 230mm fans. so they are big suckers, so weight may be an issue

I am trying to find a way to make it look like fan is almost floating in mid air. Thought about about having the supports bars be transparent, while the surrounds are painted.

I will most likely go with the left suggestion as it have to be functional above all else.

thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
One option you can do is take two pieces of acrylic that are 3/16" and 3/16", cut one piece to mount the fans to, then overlay the second piece with a cut out (to be a removable grill) and to hide the screws from the fans. You can make the grill to match what your looking to do.

Example pic's here (hopefully you can see it well enough)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts