Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A heavy load of DICE

I set out a week or two ago to create a self contained DRY ICE / ACETON loop much like Cl3p20's but without the same resevior/radiator loop he came up with.

What I came up with was something simple, self contained and relatively cheap to assemble out of an extra Danger Den pump, some pretty affordable parts from Lowes / Home Depot, a Danger Den Maze waterblock (and possibly a swifty mcw60 if this isn't compatible) and a couple hours of time all on a 3/8 id loop.

After some quick on the feet thinking and some suggestions from Kevingreenbmx I came up with this plan which I pretty much stuck to up until now:

At the moment I am applying the appropriate insulation to prevent condensation on the actual loop before I do a test run with just ice water to see how the flow rates are and to do any leak testing. I have 50 pounds of dry ice nuggets on my porch for some runs tomorrow on my:

8800GTX (I think I have a successful OCP/OVP mod completed)
8800GT (Still working on that ovp mod but I think I might have something for tomorrow)

if all goes to plan and the mail man arrives with my second 8800gtx I might be able to do SLI run for extra hwbot points but for now I'm happy enough to get my feet wet with one or two cards. Unfortunately I won't be able to put my CPU on DICE yet because of my acrylic waterblock and lack of bloodrage pci-e/blk mod but time may solve that problem

For now enjoy the pics and wish me luck on my runs tomorrow and let's hope this DD-CPX-1 pump doesn't crap out on me!!!

[/IMG]
The guts of it all

It makes my GPU cold

[/IMG]
A little better shot of the cold chamber

Removeable dice-aceton hopper for easy refilling

Inside the dice hopper

Inside the cold chamber

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Is this a bong of some type? Because, I would just LOVE to take one for the team <.< SUPER COOL!

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
procpaurie: it's steel pipe, but while I was cleaning it out i ran hot water through it and the pipe started to heat up real quick, so im sure the dry ice/aceton mix in the inner pipe (aka dice chamber) should chill the aceton within the outer pipe and inturn the aceton going through the loop

lord xeb: it's kind of the same concept as a bong but instead of evaporation you have a cylinder of -70 degree dry ice that should be cooling all the aceton in the 'resevior'

thanks guys, more pics in a few minutes!

edit: as promised, more pics...

All taped and foamed up

A little frostbite prevention tactic I like to call common sense

The GPU block (maze) hopefully with minimal consensation

More condensation prep work.. I just had to go Nvidia Green with the liquid tape

I think im high from all these fumes...

and perhaps the most important preparation work thus far...

vGPU mod with a little hypothesized OVP mod... it boots still

now time to install the block and run some icewater through and see if this sucker leaks and if the card still posts

just one more thing before I go...

OCN Volt Mod Squad FTW!!!

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I love that DICE chamber idea.
let's hope it works as well in actuality as it does on paper, I have a feeling if this goes well im going to be disassembling my bloodrage, pci-e modding it and running that on DICE before the new year

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
both are galvanized steel, should handle the cold well although I would have liked copper for the inner due to the heat transfer but all the stuff at homedepot/lowes looked so thing where it could crack, that's also why I didnt go with PVC unlike my original plan

·
Retired Benchmark Editor
10,194 Posts
Looking nice!

Can't wait to see some results.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
my friend is like 1.5 -2 hours out driving up here (crap snow storm in the northeast unforunately) so in a little bit im going to either move my computer to my basement or to either my front or rear porch to expose the WC to some 50f or hopefully lower temps, 20-30 if im on either porch
for now im trying to get an OC that is stable for vantage/3d mark 06/03/05 up near my max blks around 4.6-4.7ghz

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Very interested to see how this turns out. My only concern, which I'm sure will be shot down in no time, is how long the pump can last under those temps.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post
Very interested to see how this turns out. My only concern, which I'm sure will be shot down in no time, is how long the pump can last under those temps.
that's my main concern too, if that happens im running out to walmart while it thaws and buying a fishtank pump or some type of pump from lowes.. let's hope that's not the case though

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Very nice! Look forward to seeing it in action...

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright alright alright.. after hours on my porch freezing I managed to reach the number on spot in 3D Mark Vantage and successfully run through atleast 25 pounds of DICE and half a gallon of aceton with my chiller. I'm suprised the pump worked as well as it did but who's complaining. All in all I'd say it was a complete success.

Any way I can't complain. I got a 32$ as-is 8800GTX from Ebay and managed to salvage it to create this monster.

Sorry for the crappy formatting (and most likely grammar) but my hands are so frozen and I'm too fed up with anything computer related after 4 hours of body numbing New Hampshire dry ice action,.

Here's what went down:

My (not so nice after 4 hours) NH porch on a frosy 20 degree ferenheit night

wow.. I should leave my PC outside more often. 1.6 vcore..
, damn you A batch!

The chiller all mounted and ready to go..

So apparently this insulated tubing is hard to bend... nearly snapped my card trying to fit it into my greased up PCI-E slot (thanks patch for reminding me or else I would have fried my bloodrage).

The first batch of DICE... it didn't stick around too long, I had to tap into me 'reserve supply'

The first pour, I figured out quickly to maintain the proper dice/aceton ratio or else splatter city!... a very chilly splatter none the less.

After firing up the pump for the first time...
... -48.5 degrees celcius almost instantly - I'm hooked (it topped, or bottomed out, I should say at -52 degrees celcius).

So the temps are nice but did my OVP mod work... I'd say so (stock v1.28, my research indicated OVP is at 1.55ish)
*** I managed to bench up to mid 1.6's / 1.7 but it made no real difference, 1.58-1.62 seemed to work fine though***
*** Perhaps I should modify my OVP mod SMRs??? ***

After an hour or so things started getting a little forsty

Now for the actual results, 1st Place 8800GTX in Vantage on HWBOT
*** I managed to get up to 900 core clock (forgot to validate) but it would artifact after around 20-30 seconds of vantage, most likely due to shader/inner core temps. unfortunately I think I fell victim to a bad case of electro migration because I benched flawlessly at 875mhz core for a run but I unfortunately left the memory at stock speeds
*** The memory chips on the card were quimodas so I left the vMEM voltage stock @ 2.00***

Wrapping up I discovered my condensation prevention measures paid off!

Even though I only got one Vantage cup and I forgot to benchmark Crysis. In addition I managed to strip a patch of paint off my porch with aceton (hopefully I'll be at boot camp by the time my parents see it ). Still all these short comings pale in comparision to success that my first chiller works flawlessly, not to mention the hardest but most well deserved hardware cup I have earned. Now perhaps I should consider a patent and start mass producing these beasts

Btw.. Apparently you need a CPU at atleast 5.5ghz and on DICE to compete in any other benchmarks *shakes fist*

Enjoy, hope somebody else decides to use this plan before I start collecting royalties

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that could definately help increase the surface area, I was also thinking about using some copper tubing inside or lapping the IHS of the 8800gtx because I feel like the only thing that was keeping me from 900mhz was the internal core temp since vantage ran fine for 20 seconds and then started to pick up a bunch of artifacts.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts