Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to go out and build a new rig. Its been a while so Im a little rusty. this is the parts for the system that I have so far.
case is a Antec P182 the black gunmetal one not the stainless
Motherboard is a ASUS P5N32E-SLI
Hard drive one Western Digital SE16 250GB
CPU a Q6600 (finally made up my mind eould have got the qx but couldnt find one that didnt have a ludacris wait time)
For cooling Im going to do a liqiud cooling setup with a chilling unit to cool the fluid for the CPU and the GPU. Im going to mod a A/C unit to do it.
(the motherboard, hdd, that CPU and the case are about the only thing that will stay
these parts are in it but will not stay the firewall I have is old and dieing so when Im done building these are giong to the firewall project
Video card is a geforce 6 series a MSI NX6200TC
Ram just the 2 sticks of Kingston kvr667d2n5/512 512mb i stole out of the fire wall
Power suppy all i can say not a good one a peice that i picked up for $70 really not what you should use to run this 24/7 test boot install and clock bought all it is worth any longer than 3 hours i keep thinking that sparks will fly out of it

any input, thoughts or recomendations on some good hardware that will work with this board would be very appreaciated
help from asus sorta sucks these days all I get is a list of things that dont work with the board
thanks and thank you
oh and sorry to any one for where i put this post just couldnt figure out where to do it in the forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
Whats your budget? Thats first.

I would say get an 8 series GPU if affordable and some D9 RAM. First thing to downgrade from there would be cheaper RAM to just a simple 2*1 value set.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
The P5B is okay but I prefer the Gigabyte P35 DS3-R. That's one of the best bang for buck now. The one with DDR2, not DDR3.

In time get a new GPU as well and some better RAM as that will limit your OC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by chailvr
View Post

Whats your budget? Thats first.

I would say get an 8 series GPU if affordable and some D9 RAM. First thing to downgrade from there would be cheaper RAM to just a simple 2*1 value set.

well for budget there is none really
and thats the series for video card that i want just dont know if i want to go all out or go modest
just not paying 1500.00 for the cpu i want
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
You must have a budget. If you want to redo your whole rig tell us what exactly you have now (sig rig) and then tell us your budget and we will upgrade your stuffs.

If no budget get a QX6800 and a few blu ray drives, 4 Raptors in Raid 0 + 1 and 8GB of ram, Ultimate x64.. You get it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is no budget
this is the rig that im going to do most of my gaming and overclocking on so if its a part that serves a purpose other than bling but it is pricey it dont matter
and because all the parts of this build cant be bought seperately from each other if need be

i think the most that il spend on this build is a little over 5 grand (so far for the parts that are staying and the throwaways that are going to the firewall is 1500)

forgot to say it in the first post no bling plz im after max performance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,576 Posts
Get a Q6600 and a X38 SLI motherboard (when they come out), 2 GTX's SLi and 4 GB of DDR2-1066 ram
Get 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and one big one to backup the RAID Array..

It's be a beast.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,699 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by MGX1016
View Post

Get a Q6600 and a X38 SLI motherboard (when they come out), 2 GTX's SLi and 4 GB of DDR2-1066 ram
Get 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and one big one to backup the RAID Array..

It's be a beast.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking. Add a nice 24'' Dell LCD too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by MGX1016
View Post

You must have a budget. If you want to redo your whole rig tell us what exactly you have now (sig rig) and then tell us your budget and we will upgrade your stuffs.

If no budget get a QX6800 and a few blu ray drives, 4 Raptors in Raid 0 + 1 and 8GB of ram, Ultimate x64.. You get it.


Quote:


Originally Posted by MGX1016
View Post

Get a Q6600 and a X38 SLI motherboard (when they come out), 2 GTX's SLi and 4 GB of DDR2-1066 ram
Get 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and one big one to backup the RAID Array..

It's be a beast.

well the cpu that you chose was the one i wanted just cant think of spending that much on a cpu
its a nice cpu but is it really worth the 1500.00 canadian id have to fork out for it may have no real budget in place but some things i just cant swipe the card to do
and im still waiting on intel to do there price cuts and the re-release of there quads and dual cores
heard a few rumers about some stuff there doing end of july begining of august

as fro the GTX's in SLI well i think i might have a problem fitting them in this case and i sorta was leaning to the 8800 ultra but i know i wouldnt be albe to cram them in here
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,877 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lurin View Post
there is no budget
this is the rig that im going to do most of my gaming and overclocking on so if its a part that serves a purpose other than bling but it is pricey it dont matter
and because all the parts of this build cant be bought seperately from each other if need be

i think the most that il spend on this build is a little over 5 grand (so far for the parts that are staying and the throwaways that are going to the firewall is 1500)

forgot to say it in the first post no bling plz im after max performance
DAM MAN. that's alot of money.

5,000.00 CAD = 4,790.16 USD

I would help you man but i don't know any canadian comp shopping sites. What site do you want to buy from and I can help you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metalica732 View Post
DAM MAN. that's alot of money.

5,000.00 CAD = 4,790.16 USD

I would help you man but i don't know any canadian comp shopping sites. What site do you want to buy from and I can help you

doesnt really matter the shop i buy from most of the time i go threw the companys that make the part i found when you go threw there distributers for there resellers you get a nicer price
i rarely buy off the net but when i do i go threw NCIX.COM only place i found that lets you pick up orders thats in vancouver
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here it coes the thing that stoped me cold
intels price cut is in 2 days
what are we all to do quads under 300 and the 1333 fsb for around the same
i wonder how a Q6600 would do for having some fun with til the QX's drop
Kentsfield or a Conroe
Kentsfield or a Conroe
Kentsfield or a Conroe........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well now all i need to get to stop my build bug for a while is a new power supply ram i can get later when i want to overclock more i dont want to run sli right now i figure il leave that till the next time the bug bites but i do know i want to run a 8800 ultra GPU
im thinking of a ocz GameXStream 700Watt for now
oh this is driving me nuts this is the longest that ive had something sitting in the corner normally all my rigs are running 24/7 this one just gets fired up when im bored or i get something new for it
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top