Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've actually a Razer Blackwidow 2013, blue Cherry.
Quite nice but 2 things are driving me towards the K70 RGB: the Corsair fancy lights and the cursed Razer's matt surface. It's just a messy to clean, dust and dirt seems attracted like in a black hole not only between keys, but on the whole surface, and this is not amusing. So, looking at the aluminium body of the k70, and the "floating" keys, seems I've finded my SO about happy and clean KB.
Well, the only "bad thing" about K70 is price, for fancy lights have high price.

So, I'm wondering if Tesoro Lobera Supreme (fancy light, low price) or some CM quickfire (no fancy light, but even lower price) can be easy to clean as the k70.
I'm not in US, so some keyboards (like ducky ones) aren't in my layout, and I can't stand without proper layout.
This lead to the last question: I use my keyboard for gaming and work too (a lot of type work), and I'm pretty happy with my blue switch.
For my country, the K70 is only with red cherry, and I'm guessing if the change will be so hard to withstand (I'm curious too to do some super WPM with red switch).

Thanks all for your advice

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
When it comes to mechanical keyboards, the pretty ones are the most expensive. If you can afford the K70, it's very good. Alternatively, if you want one of the best keyboards out there with cleaner looks but no lights, consider the filco majestouch 2, the version with the keys written on the sides. Only if you have it in your country or don't mind buying abroad.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking420 View Post

If you don't mind red led's, the regular K70 is $50 cheaper..
i went with the regular k70, because i didn't see paying $50 extra for fancy lights.
I really dislike red led (badly the most common on gaming gear) =\
K70 is easy to clean, compared to other keyboards? Are you happy with it, there are minor things to report?

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Question: Do you care about looks more than build quality? because both razer and corsair suck in the build quality departments.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

Question: Do you care about looks more than build quality? because both razer and corsair suck in the build quality departments.
Until now, my razer hasn't a single issue. I guess Razer and Corsair both, selling a lot of units, can find more fabbric issue than other brand.
Just to make clear my needs: my mouse is a Zowie FK1, no lights, no fancy design, but is solid, do the job and I'm more satysfied for it, than my previous mouse, SS Rival (and the rubbish-melting sides...).
From keyboard I'm searching maybe some "useless lights", but still same abits.
Badly, as I said, layout for my country are fewer compared to others, so my field of search is small as well.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I myself also own a K70. But the older Black aluminum body, red switches and red LED's.

Personally, I only really use the LED's in the keyboard at night when I have the lights turned down. Any other time, they are off. I myself love this keyboard. By far, the best keyboard I have ever owned. Never really understood the hype about mechanical keyboards until I bit the bullet, not using anything else, I cringe.

Cleaning the board is a breeze with the "floating" keys, little bit of compressed air and I'm all done. Though just like anything else, over time, dust WILL collect. There is no getting away from it. The brushed aluminum does a nice job helping hide some of it, but its still there. I can't say I have any complaints about the keyboard at all. Has been solid since day one(knock on wood). The only thing I would change, is the thick a$$ chord it has because of the USB pass through. But that might be me being picky.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Be warned, K70 RGB with blue switches is discontinued...too many problems with the Cherry RGB blues. See here for details. You may be able to find one still in stock, but if there's a problem, Corsair say that they won't be able to replace it under warranty.

I don't know what is or isn't available in your country, so I'll list a bunch of options for RGB + Clicky switch:

The Tesoro uses Kailh switches (Blue or Brown seem to be available at the moment) rather than Cherry. Their reputation for quality is not as good as Cherry's, but it's hard to know how much of that is reality and how much of it is placebo effect from the expectation of lower quality. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that (at least as of the last time I checked) the backlighting on the Tesoro is very limited...it can only do one color at a time. So if you want fancy lighting effects, you're out of luck there. Also, despite often advertising 16.8 million colors, it is actually limited (at least as of the last time I checked) to 228 colors.

Rosewill RGB80 uses Kailh (blue or brown) as well, and gets pretty low in price, but suffers from the same limitations as the Tesoro: one color at a time, out of just 228 possibilities. For as long as the keyboard has been available, they have promised software updates to bring it up to its advertised specification, but I see no evidence of this materializing.

V-OX G11 also uses Kailh (blue), but offers more flexibility with (according to advertising) 25 backlighting modes. Real-world photos (not renderings) show the keyboard with multiple colors simultaneously, and different patterns of colors, so it seems not to suffer from the same limitations as the Tesoro and the Rosewill. I don't know what other limitations it might have instead, though.

Royal Kludge RK RG928 RGB uses Greetech switches (incl. blue; it follows the same color coding as other MX-compatible switches) and promises a cheap price (though I don't know what it would cost in your country). Both brand and switch are unknowns in terms of quality, and, though saving money is nice, the low price is not exactly reassuring on that count. No idea what weaknesses the lighting system may have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts