Overclock.net banner

4981 - 5000 of 5017 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I already tried that to no avail. Tried higher process priority to no avail. I did notice how it behaved though. The clock dropped when HWInfo indicated it was approaching thermal limit (red text) but it never actually reached throttle territory. Should I try disabling thermal throttling? It's a 280 rad on a delidded chip so I'm not getting anywhere near 100 C.

Double checked it and nope neither "Ultimate Performance" nor "High Performance" stop the downclocking and this time temperatures got no where near throttle territory, max 85 C.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ofcourse you should disable thermal throttle from bios, along with all power save features. It will run faster than before because this feature reduce the CPU cycles. Unpark CPU as well if not done yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's no where near throttle territory though so why would that setting even have an impact? I did disable C-states already. All the cores are active at 100% in the power profile (except the multiplier went from 45 to 42 across the board) so it's not a parking issue, and isn't parking just when a core enters C6? Have you noticed any of these issues with the stability test yourself?

Thinking outside the box maybe it's not an OS or UEFI setting but could the vrm just be overheating? I'll try disabling thermal throttling and put a case fan directly over the vrms tonight.

·
Registered
98 Posts
DUDE :)
DISABLE CPU THERMAL THROTTLING :) THATS THE REASON. This feature throttles the CPU. its not what you think it is. It makes your CPU work less to preserve power & avoid higher temps. With this enabled the CPU will never get "near the throttle territory". Thats the point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gotcha! It didn't work. I'm about ready to throw in the towel.
I betcha it is the AVX offset parameter that is set on your system.
If the x264 stress test does AVX workloads, then the CPU will lower its multipliers as not to generate too much heat. This offset can be set to 0 in the BIOS. Then normal and AVX workloads all run at the same multiplier.

This is why many people stress test with Prime95 26.6 small fft, which does not use AVX workloads, instead of the newer Prime95 versions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello guys and first of all thanks OP for the guide

This is my first time getting into overclocking I have (or I think I do) an issue with temperatures. I tried the 4.8Ghz and safe voltages from the guide and the temperatures are getting like 85-90º when doing stress test. My humble experience on CPUs tells me that those temperatures are a bit high, even dangerous if it keeps that way for long. My CPU cooler stands for 150W TDP

So, are those temperatures normal? Should I delid? I've been reading lot of temperatures improvements, like 15-20º that's insane.

My Specs:
MSI Z270 Gaming Plus
I5-7600K
Ballistix Sport LT BLS16G4D240FSE 16GB
Cooler Master Hyper 612 V2

Thanks again

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have a Asus Z270 Apex with a I7 7700K and want to test the 5.0 OC for stability..I have it now at 1.380v and not every time but alot when watching Hd videos my pc locks up and freezes,and the odd time I get DPC Watchdog violation blue screen..Mostly just lockups and freeze where I have to reboot the computer manually..So,whats good software to run to check stability on my overclock of the Cpu for start,and whats good to check the memory OC for stability also..Any suggestions appreciated...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a Asus Z270 Apex with a I7 7700K and want to test the 5.0 OC for stability..I have it now at 1.380v and not every time but alot when watching Hd videos my pc locks up and freezes,and the odd time I get DPC Watchdog violation blue screen..Mostly just lockups and freeze where I have to reboot the computer manually..So,whats good software to run to check stability on my overclock of the Cpu for start,and whats good to check the memory OC for stability also..Any suggestions appreciated...
ROG stress test

1.4v is a lot

·
Registered
750 Posts
ROG stress test..I have it..How long should I let it run for..Also,do you think I am giving it too much juice..Should I cut it back some..Would too much volts also cause what symptoms my pc has..

·
Registered
101 Posts
ROG stress test..I have it..How long should I let it run for..Also,do you think I am giving it too much juice..Should I cut it back some..Would too much volts also cause what symptoms my pc has..
I think it depends on what you intend to use it for. If you are just going to game and you have an avx offset enabled, I would do 2 to 4 hours and be comfortable with it passing there. if you are using an AIO, you will probably see temps that start to get pretty uncomfortable on 1.4v. I prefer not to hit much above 80C. I'm at 5ghz on 1.328v and I think my peak temp is probably low 80's over a stress period of that duration (I use an offset of -2, for 4.8ghz on AVX).

·
Registered
750 Posts
I cut the cpu adaptive core volts back down to 1.330 and she booted fine into windows..My LLC is set at Level 4 also..I will run ROG- RealBench V2 once I find out how long I should let it run for..I will try the 15 min test for a start and see what happens..

·
Registered
750 Posts
Whats your core cache set at..Mine is 4.8,should I leave that alone or drop it back some..I also have good liquid cooling on her..Swiftech H240x..My temps rally never got over 75 cel when stressing before,even with 1.400v and the cpu is also delidded with liquid metal last year.The only gaming I do on this pc is Play World of Tanks,boom boom..And edit and play some hd videos occasionally..

·
Facepalm
9,499 Posts
Going to have to run a battery of tests. Whatever you do, do NOT run small FFT AVX prime95. Only use AVX as I instruct here below..

First, download prime95 29.4 https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Run it then close it then open the file LOCAL.TXT and add these lines at the top:

CPUSupportsAVX=0
CPUSupportsFMA3=0

Grab HWinfo64 (another nice program) while you're at it and have it running the same time as prime95). https://www.hwinfo.com/download/
Now you can do some more reasonable tests.

First do a CPU core reliability test by doing a small FFT stress test. This will put a strong load on your CPU without it getting out of control. Don't let it run 12 hours. I personally find that you don't need to let it run more than 30 minutes, as it can test the entire 8k-16k range by then. But if you really want to be sure, you can run it an hour. Have the program HWINFO64 running and look at the bottom for WHEA or CPU L0 errors also.

If that passes, now do a Vcore reliability test by running a custom test, checkbox "run FFT's in place" and enter 1344K-1344K for the range.
This stresses vcore stability more than heat stress. You absolutely MUST pass this test. 1 hour is enough for this. Half hour if you're in a hurry.

Then when you're done, you can stress the computer's IMC and main memory by doing a custom test, uncheck FFT's in place, and enter range 512K-4096K and set the memory size to 75% of your system memory. Example: if you have 32 GB of RAM, the total is 32768, so set it to 24576. For 16 GB, it's 75% of 16384. Ezpz.

This test will take much longer to do. Might have to leave it running overnight as this tests a lot of ranges now.

Finally, you should test the AVX stability test. This is similar to the 1344K test.
Open the file local.txt and change the 0 to a 1 for AVX.
Do not change FMA3.

Then run the same 1344K (don't forget to checkbox in place fft's) and it will run with AVX. This may run a bit hotter than small FFT without AVX (oddly enough it runs cooler on a 9700K and 9900K), so let it run for up to an hour.

Always monitor HWinfo64 for WHEA errors or CPU L0 errors if a thread doesn't crash.

This will take you awhile. Post your results when finished.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Damm..I just got a blue screen 10 min into Rog Real bench stress test..DPC Watchdog Violation..I will try prime95 29.4 as per your instructions also.My memory is overclocked also..Should this be set all back on auto and take the oc off when stressing the cpu.Is DPC Watchdog Violation a memory error or cpu..

·
Facepalm
9,499 Posts
Damm..I just got a blue screen 10 min into Rog Real bench stress test..DPC Watchdog Violation..I will try prime95 29.4 as per your instructions also.My memory is overclocked also..Should this be set all back on auto and take the oc off when stressing the cpu.Is DPC Watchdog Violation a memory error or cpu..
Basic rule is you stress ONE component at a time.
I would set the memory to stock (or XMP), whatever you know is 100% stable, and then start from there. You never want to have two things holding you back at once. That becomes messy.

I did include the memory / IMC testing in my above post, but if your CPU is already unstable, that will also fail too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ok thanks..I will drop the oc on the memory and set the memory to xmp and give it a whirl and report back..

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Basic rule is you stress ONE component at a time.
Should be the site motto.
Clock and stress for one thing till it's no longer a variable.
Set cache and ram speed and voltage to manual stock or JDEC. XMP isn't advised, nor is a GPU OC. One variable at a time.

·
Banned
403 Posts
Not really it may take 1.35-1.4v to pass something like RealBench.

4981 - 5000 of 5017 Posts