Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
CONES!
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source
Quote:
Sony, the company who created Audio CDs which installed a rootkit on Windows computer to try to stop people copying music has pirated KDE artwork.
Oh the irony.
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: I'm not sure if this belongs here in Technology news or in Software news so Mods, if it needs moving please do so.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
Eh, one of their million employees was lazy and did a google image search. I mean, it's a single thumbnail, they must have 100k thumbnail images spread out through their products and web pages...

·
Linux > All
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Eh, one of their million employees was lazy and did a google image search. I mean, it's a single thumbnail, they must have 100k thumbnail images spread out through their products and web pages...
Still doesn't make it ok. Right now I can google search for free music downloads and get hundreds if not thousands of torrent links... All pirated stuff. We can't use that excuse for downloading pirated music so they failed. This is true irony though as mentioned about the rootkit debacle years ago. Curious to see what if anything happens, or will it get another corporate pass while the little guy gets stomped in court as usual.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadaen Sylvermane View Post

Still doesn't make it ok. Right now I can google search for free music downloads and get hundreds if not thousands of torrent links... All pirated stuff. We can't use that excuse for downloading pirated music so they failed. This is true irony though as mentioned about the rootkit debacle years ago. Curious to see what if anything happens, or will it get another corporate pass while the little guy gets stomped in court as usual.
There's a significant difference between unknowingly pulling a picture off of google image search and knowingly downloading a torrent.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsumi View Post

There's a significant difference between unknowingly pulling a picture off of google image search and knowingly downloading a torrent.
There sure is. I say give them a little time and if they don't change it to comply then nail them.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Are you that dense? I hate to be rude but I'm beyond annoyed with how pro-corporation people are nowawdays.

NEWSFLASH: Sony is a billion-dollar corporation. They shouldn't searching Google images for anything. They have paid programers, webdesigners, web admins and an entire creative staff with graphic artists. How you can defend them searching for a free icon to steal is beyond me. I guess creative theft is OK as long as it's done by a big company

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAverageJoe View Post

Are you that dense? I hate to be rude but I'm beyond annoyed with how pro-corporation people are nowawdays.

NEWSFLASH: Sony is a billion-dollar corporation. They shouldn't searching Google images for anything. They have paid programers, webdesigners, web admins and an entire creative staff with graphic artists. How you can defend them searching for a free icon to steal is beyond me. I guess creative theft is OK as long as it's done by a big company
Billion dollar corporations don't have time to check that every lazy employee is doing their proper work.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrAverageJoe View Post

AND, they pay for access to royalty free images they can use...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Quote:

Billion dollar corporations don't have time to check that every lazy employee is doing their proper work.
Does that make it right either?

Sounds like the excuse the banks used; "We're too big to fail"...

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:

They knowing pulled a picture off Google. It is no different than knowing pulling an MP3 off a site or torrent.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

They knowing pulled a picture off Google. It is no different than knowing pulling an MP3 off a site or torrent.
The employee may have pulled the picture off of Google knowing it was copyrighted. It is much more likely he/she pulled it off of google without knowing it was copyrighted so that he/she can spend more time on facebook instead of creating a proper original design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbozo View Post

Does that make it right either?

Sounds like the excuse the banks used; "We're too big to fail"...
How is that in any way similar?

If they tell Sony about it, and Sony changes it within a reasonable amount of time, it's fine. If they don't bother changing it even after having received the warning, then they're in the wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:

The employee may have pulled the picture off of Google knowing it was copyrighted. It is much more likely he/she pulled it off of google without knowing it was copyrighted so that he/she can spend more time on facebook instead of creating a proper original design.
All images are copyright the creator or owner ( if the creator sold it ). This is pretty common knowledge. Anyone in charge of graphical or web design should know this, and at least not use it without getting prior permission to do so. Even more so when it comes to such a large company like Sony.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

All images are copyright the creator or owner ( if the creator sold it ). This is pretty common knowledge. Anyone in charge of graphical or web design should know this, and at least not use it without getting prior permission to do so. Even more so when it comes to such a large company like Sony.
And if the employee passes it off as their own custom design creation, how would they be they know it wasn't? I highly doubt they're going to google image search each and every icon to make sure their employees didn't rip it off of someone else.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Quote:

Sorry ahem.."Copyright infringement is not a victim less crime!".
wink.gif

Burn em!! j/k

Seriously it's a simple mistake on the order of number of pixels the image has. However scale wise, think about every frame in a movie...lots of pixels per frame and the entire body of work when copied wholesale. It's actually a shame this is considered newsworthy, but today "Anything" that drives views "Is Currency" and that's the first thing they teach now at Harvard. (HBS). No source, I made it up.
biggrin.gif

1 - 20 of 84 Posts