Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 v1 reference 7970s (1 DVI & voltage control) in CFX, pushing 2560x1440. Should I sell them and get a Titan?

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
No, for gaming the 7970s are superior.

·
Slave to IaaS
2,107 Posts
No.

Titan is designed really for 1600p and higher to get it's full use from.
Can I ask why you feel the need to upgrade from CF 7970's? Is it a lack of power from them or perhaps CF issues?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Amik Vase View Post

No.

Titan is designed really for 1600p and higher to get it's full use from.
Can I ask why you feel the need to upgrade from CF 7970's? Is it a lack of power from them or perhaps CF issues?
I haven't opened my case for months, and even then it was just to swap HDD's
rolleyes.gif

I think I'll wait till I have enough money to buy a Titan without having to sell anything (probably on release day lol)

·
Slave to IaaS
2,107 Posts
Titan will have less performance than your two 7970's. Currently two 660Ti's in SLI can match it's performance so you'll be spending money to go down in performance.
However if you wan't it because it's shiny and you want new stuff (Can't blame you to be honest haha) then get it, you'll be happy with it I'm sure

Heres a little more benchmarks if you wan't to see some more on titan -

·
Premium Member
9,327 Posts
Why to sell your 7970 for lower performance. 1 single titan over 7970 cf dont make a sense. Now if you talk about 2 then yes

·
PC Evangelist
47,498 Posts
Unless you have money to get 2 x Titans dont change.

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
7970 crossfire>Single titan, Keep the 7970s

·
Registered
442 Posts
My brain tells me that your current setup is better but there is still a part of me that likes to tinker and go with the GTX TITAN.

I say if you have the money and you like to fiddle then do it. The performance hit won't be that much hit and if it is... trade it back in or buy another TITAN.

Ah. To be made out of money.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing is frame latency and dropping, which is better, not only on nVidia, but a single card. I'm not necessarily after the highest FPS. I'll compare the 2 in a month or so
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
You wouldn't gain anything by paying the ridiculous amount of money for the Titan, even if you play @ 1600p. The only reasonto sswitch would be CFX issues, andeven then I wwould recommend a pair of good 670s (EVGA 670FTW) or possibly 680s (Lightning, Classifieds, etc) over a single Titan. The 670s would total around $720-760, and the 680s would be $850 or so... That would leave you with $250 or so to put elsewhere, while giving you better performance than a Titan. The money you save could go into a water loop, a top of the line SSD or multiple hard drives, some very fast RAM, a new case, better fans and heatsinks, a MB+CPU Upgrade, a new power supply, a high end sound card + headphones (Ti HD $120 + ATH-AD700's $100), a mechanical keyboard and new mouse, a new monitor (Dell U2312HM, U2412HM, Auria EQ278 IPS 1440P, Catleap, Shimian, etc), a dedicated PhysX card (650Ti for $115), a HardwareRAID card (PERC6/i or better) with a few drives, an external dual-drive setup, custom sleeving for your PSU, etc.
Any of which would be a far better use of the money than a Titan (instead of 2x 670s/680s).

·
Registered
827 Posts
Dirtyworks, if you're not facing any CF issues, then don't change to a Titan. It'll be a downgrade and most likely a sidegrade at best.
If you're gonna go 2xTitans, that's a different story
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

You wouldn't gain anything by paying the ridiculous amount of money for the Titan, even if you play @ 1600p. The only reasonto sswitch would be CFX issues, andeven then I wwould recommend a pair of good 670s (EVGA 670FTW) or possibly 680s (Lightning, Classifieds, etc) over a single Titan. The 670s would total around $720-760, and the 680s would be $850 or so... That would leave you with $250 or so to put elsewhere, while giving you better performance than a Titan. The money you save could go into a water loop, a top of the line SSD or multiple hard drives, some very fast RAM, a new case, better fans and heatsinks, a MB+CPU Upgrade, a new power supply, a high end sound card + headphones (Ti HD $120 + ATH-AD700's $100), a mechanical keyboard and new mouse, a new monitor (Dell U2312HM, U2412HM, Auria EQ278 IPS 1440P, Catleap, Shimian, etc), a dedicated PhysX card (650Ti for $115), a HardwareRAID card (PERC6/i or better) with a few drives, an external dual-drive setup, custom sleeving for your PSU, etc.
Any of which would be a far better use of the money than a Titan (instead of 2x 670s/680s).
ITT: someone who hasn't read my sig.

To elaborate;
I already have a water loop, a total of about 10 hard drives, 6 SSD's, a Lian-Li, 40 GentleTyphoons (don't ask), 3 mechanical keyboards and 3 back-up deathadders (for when they EOL), significantly better audio hardware than you mentioned, a U2211H and a Overlord Tempest (basically a korean 1440p with North American warranty), choice between a GTX560 Ti and GTX680 for Physx and already have amazing sleeving for a seasonic..

PS
As I mentioned, I'm not interested in maximum FPS. And as for RAM, my system doesn't like anything less than CAS7.. I've tried Samsung Low Voltage (I OC timings and not megahertz
smile.gif
).

Back on topic - I've decided not to get a Titan (and probably skip the next gen cards) and instead I've put a down payment on something akin to this:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post

To elaborate;
I already have a water loop, a total of about 10 hard drives, 6 SSD's, a Lian-Li, 40 GentleTyphoons (don't ask), 3 mechanical keyboards and 3 back-up deathadders (for when they EOL), significantly better audio hardware than you mentioned, a U2211H and a Overlord Tempest (basically a korean 1440p with North American warranty), choice between a GTX560 Ti and GTX680 for Physx and already have amazing sleeving for a seasonic..

PS
As I mentioned, I'm not interested in maximum FPS. And as for RAM, my system doesn't like anything less than CAS7.. I've tried Samsung Low Voltage (I OC timings and not megahertz
smile.gif
).

Back on topic - I've decided not to get a Titan (and probably skip the next gen cards) and instead I've put a down payment on something akin to this:
Sweet! Wish i could afford a signature guitar myself. Like one of Steve Vai's sig axes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2.

·
Banned
9,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyworks View Post

To elaborate;

PS
smile.gif
).

I did the same thing. Took the cheap way with quad 7970's and bought this

1 - 20 of 39 Posts