Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment my 3700 Sandy is totally stable at 2.86Ghz with a Vcore of 1.45 (rises up to 1.47 when the computer is under full load). The CPU idles at 29C and rises to 41C on full load. When I try and overclock slightly more without raising the Vcore the system becomes unstable after about 20 minutes on Prime95. Should I keep on overclocking further, by raising the Vcore? Will this shorten the lifespan of the CPU?

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you stay under 1.6V you should be fine. Anything over that and you will probably shorten the lifespan of your cpu (debatable).

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
you are probably close to the limit or "edge" of that chip, but definetly go for more. Theres nothing wrong with running 1.5-1.55 vcore thru your chip for daily use. When you get into the 1.6's then you have to watch your temps, and still that's not that bad of voltage.
I say go for more, your temps are fine...
As far as shortening the life, sure more voltage will shorten the life....so instead of your CPU operating for 10 years, it might last you 5 instead....that's if you plan on keeping it for 5 years lol.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right then, you have spurred me on to keep on OC'in. What do you think a suitable load temp and Vcore would be if I wanted to keep the CPU for around 3-4 years

·
Registered
365 Posts
Load temp should be under 55, under 50 is preferable though. As for Vcore, try to stay under 1.6 if you can. Also, if your BIOS supports it, try upping your chipset voltage as well, you might be giving your CPU more power than it needs, while the chipset may be underpowered. It's a balance.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
It will probably last longer with the way you have it. I would set a goal of 2.9 if you can, and test for the best combination of memory and cpu clocks. 2.9 is quick.
You could always test your voltage and temps if you can get to 3.0, you might have a good chip that doesn't need that much more vcore to reach it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.