Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to start fresh with basically a clean slate and a definitive timeline. This time I will be keeping it simple as the title indicates. No scotch bottles and no Ducati's!
I will be using the CL case and why not? I sold most of my parts from the last build, so I will be ordering a lot of new gear by the end of the weekend. My intention is to have this build finished by Labor Day, just in time for Rome II Total War's release.
The theme is a simple, clean powerhouse. I may do something monochromatic with regard to color, but I may change my mind. Since the case is white, black, silver and gold are options, but I am seriously considering blue. I have decided to use paracord PET for my sleeving and studying some of Lutro's color combinations, I have a lot of options.
If you recall from my last build I used a few Aqua components which CL powder coated for me and these will be used. You can see the two A5's, PA's and the Aquadrive in the case. I also added a CL RAD holder to the front, the last one I modded.

And the lonely inside of the case with the ASROCK, which I may not use. More on that later.....

One thing I learned from the last build, the Aqua Drive is heavy without any water, a little over 6lbs. I decided to add some support, another reason why I love CL cases and the many accessories.

I am not completely sold on using the ASROCK 11 since I cannot find an H20 block for the MB. I know, that is not in keeping with simple, but I have to cool the MB and the RAM, it's my style. So, if I cannot find a MIPS H20 block, I will have to opt for the RIVE.
mad.gif
I know it's great board, but I am sick and tired of red. However, I can take care of the red, just a little more work on my part. The rest is pretty much decided.
I decided to go with the SR-2. I have wanted to use this MB in the past and I finally decided to pull the trigger. I got lucky and found the MIPS SR-2 MB and RAM blocks thanks to Aquatuning.

Hardware:
CPU - 3930K I sold my 3960 and with the new E about to release.....why spend the extra? Dual 5680's
MB - TBD RIVE SR-2
GPU - 3 x GTX 780 evga
RAM - 32 GB Corsair 24 GB
HDD - 5 TB in Aqua Drive
SSD - 4 x 250 Samsung 840 Pro - LSI PCIe RAID Card w/ FastPath in RAID 0
SSD - 1 x 512 Samsung 840 Pro
PSU - LEPA 1600 Corsair 1200 Axi
Monitor - Overlord 27" 1440p

H20 Components:
CPU - Aqua Kryos Silver x 2
GPU - 3 x Aqua Nickel & Plexi EK SE.
MB - EK Nickel or Black MIPS Nickel & POM
RAM - EK Nickel & Plexi, I think? MIPS Nickel & POM
A5's - Aqua Blocks
Pumps - 2 x Swiftech MP35X2 w/heatsink and fans 2 x D5 in pedestal & 2 x D5 uptop
Res - 2 x Aqua Aqualis 450 Pro
Flow sensors - 2 x Aqua
Temp Sensors - 6 Inline Aqua
Rad - 2 x Alphacool 120.2 UT 60 1 Aqua Modularity 360 w/D5 pump & 1 AM 480 w/D5 pump
Rads - 2 x Feser 120.4 X-Changers, I have two new ones on the shelf
Fans - 20 x 120 mm NB eloops
Fans - 2 x 140 mm NB Pro
Tubing - Either Primo Rigid Acrylic or Norprene depending on the color theme.
Fittings - Monsoon, probably white
Dyes - Mayhems, once again, depends on the color theme.

Loops:
1. Pump - Rad 120.4 - Res - CPU - CPU - MB - RAM - A5's - HDD - Rad 120.4 - Pump
2. Pump - Rad 120.4 - Res - GPU - GPU - GPU - Rad 120.3 - Pump

Lighting:
sLight box made by me, probably two

That is pretty much it except for a few odds and ends. I will be painting the Rads and possibly a few other things. Now I have to decide upon the color scheme and the MB issue. Obviously I need to get busy!
Thanks for looking in and suggestions and critiques are welcome.
Cheers,
Rocky

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
cpachris may/may not be using his mips blocks for his board, now I'm not sure what his plans are with them but it couldn't hurt to drop him a pm regarding them.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthenshaw View Post

cpachris may/may not be using his mips blocks for his board, now I'm not sure what his plans are with them but it couldn't hurt to drop him a pm regarding them.
I contacted Chris last week. He will be using his MIPS block unless he can solve ND's block issue.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekeroffun View Post

I contacted Chris last week. He will be using his MIPS block unless he can solve ND's block issue.
Ah okay, let's hope for your sake he can
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthenshaw View Post

Ah okay, let's hope for your sake he can
biggrin.gif
Looks like I sold the ASROCK, so the RIVE it is. I also changed the water blocks for my GPU's and I edited my equipment list.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by last- View Post

This looks like it is going to be quite the awesome build.
Thanks! If all goes as planned and the parts arrive on time, I will be up and running on air cooling this weekend. Fingers crossed................

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0303 View Post

Got my attention, hope you get the parts soon!
Thanks, me too. The MIPS MB block will be here tomorrow and the Ram blocks should arrive Friday. The SR-2, Ram, VC's and CPU's should be here Friday as well. I have one order arriving from Frozen tomorrow and another to follow on Friday or Saturday. I have a few things to order today, so I should be able to bench test Saturday. Once that process works itself out, I will order the rest of the H20 parts and decide on the PSU.
I am looking forward to this.....
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Dayum! I couldn't think of a more fitting case for an SR-2! I'm sure you won't have the space constraints that I do in my SR-2 build
biggrin.gif
Can't wait to see it in there buddy.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

I'm here for fellow SR-2 goodness.
Thanks. I have the MB, MIPS H20 blocks, Ram, VC's and VC H20 blocks and no CPU's.
mad.gif
And now, I am rethinking this build again.....
rolleyes.gif

Many people in different forums are urging me not to build an SR-2 system for various reasons. However, I have wanted to do this for a very long time, the itch you can't scratch. Do I need it? no, can I make use of all those threads? sometimes. Nothing else really excites me from a build standpoint. Haswell is a disappointment and X79 is really my only other choice. I don't subscribe to the term "future proof" but 12 cores running at 4.4 - 4.6 does provide a lot of headroom. Then if you consider two or three Titans, it may be a while before I need anything else. Of course I could always upgrade to 5698's at some point too.....decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Subbed

·
Premium Member
12,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theseekeroffun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

I'm here for fellow SR-2 goodness.
Thanks. I have the MB, MIPS H20 blocks, Ram, VC's and VC H20 blocks and no CPU's.
mad.gif
And now, I am rethinking this build again.....
rolleyes.gif

Many people in different forums are urging me not to build an SR-2 system for various reasons. However, I have wanted to do this for a very long time, the itch you can't scratch. Do I need it? no, can I make use of all those threads? sometimes. Nothing else really excites me from a build standpoint. Haswell is a disappointment and X79 is really my only other choice. I don't subscribe to the term "future proof" but 12 cores running at 4.4 - 4.6 does provide a lot of headroom. Then if you consider two or three Titans, it may be a while before I need anything else. Of course I could always upgrade to 5698's at some point too.....decisions, decisions.
I pretty much share this exact thought. I've had so many systems, nothing truly is exciting. At this point I like the SR-2 because it's so big and has a certain "weight" to it. X5698s have tempted me a few times, but in the end I realize if I disabled cores/threads on my current chips I could probably hit same clock speeds. I downgraded to quad chips because I figured I wouldn't need 6 cores anymore, but I may go back.. we'll see.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts