Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking in to upgrading from a 650i to a 780i, I have win7 retail. Would everything work okay? How can I do this without reinstalling Windows? Deleting chipset drivers? Running a repair install? I went from 1 650i to another with no issues at all (rma).
Thanks,
sgdude

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Fortunately, it's such a similar chipset that it should be very smooth. I recommend trying it just to see what happens since it's not like you're going from the 650i to the Intel X58 or something drastically different like that.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Going from one 650i to another should never be an issue.

Moving from a 650i to the 780i (meaning, different motherboards) might be.

Most likely, you'll be able to plug everything in and run Windows fine. I'd still recommend doing a clean install, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Fortunately, it's such a similar chipset that it should be very smooth. I recommend trying it just to see what happens since it's not like you're going from the 650i to the Intel X58 or something drastically different like that.
Then should I go ahead and sell my 650i? I only want to sell it if it would be a smooth transition. I don't have the 780i yet.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
Then should I go ahead and sell my 650i? I only want to sell it if it would be a smooth transition. I don't have the 780i yet.
Back up whatever you need to save, and worst case scenario you end up having to do a clean install.

Or, just wait until you get the 780, and you can test it out and know for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgdude View Post
Yeah. I would say that there's nothing to worry about. But prepare for the slight possibility of reformatting and starting over. That way you'll have complete confidence.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I actually went from a Asus P5Q-E to a Foxconn Bloodrage X58. Completely new setup except the HDD (with Win 7 beta) hooked everything up pressed power and . . .. it turned on. I was kinda suprised that there were no errors but it worked with no problems.

I reinstalled the OS when win 7 retail came out though.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
You shouldn't have any errors, but when I switched from an old Dell mobo to my current ASUS I had to validate Win7 again.

Good luck.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan17z View Post
I actually went from a Asus P5Q-E to a Foxconn Bloodrage X58. Completely new setup except the HDD (with Win 7 beta) hooked everything up pressed power and . . .. it turned on. I was kinda suprised that there were no errors but it worked with no problems.

I reinstalled the OS when win 7 retail came out though.
Well, I'm just saying that the chances of it being smooth are greater when going from one nForce board to another. At the very least, Windows will probably have to be re-activated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts