Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 gigs of PC4300 (DDR2533) and I was wondering if I would be forced to run a divider with Kentfield (K6600). Before, when discussing conroe, someone said that 533 was fine for conroe if you didnt overclock. It was actually the memory meant for it (huh?), but most people use 800 to get uber overclocks. Well, I wasn't initially planning on overclocking a potential kentsfield, but I am wondering if it would be fine under DDR2 @533 simply because its 2 E6600s on one die.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Put in DDR2.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I thought skt775 was DDR2 not DDR?

Are you getting a motherboard that can handle both or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine

Sry guys, I have DDR2. DDR2 @ 533. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Ah ha lol thats ok then

Shold be ok for stock FSB but may need a divider for an o/c.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome. Now all I gotta worry about is the price. Hopefully by late Jan the price will have settled a bit.... *pray* thanks guys. +rep

Any more comments are welcome =D

·
Registered
883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by killnine

I have 3 gigs of PC4300 (DDR2533) and I was wondering if I would be forced to run a divider with Kentfield (K6600). Before, when discussing conroe, someone said that 533 was fine for conroe if you didnt overclock. It was actually the memory meant for it (huh?), but most people use 800 to get uber overclocks. Well, I wasn't initially planning on overclocking a potential kentsfield, but I am wondering if it would be fine under DDR2 @533 simply because its 2 E6600s on one die.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Put in DDR2.

Your performance will be bottlenecked by your ram. And it will be significant.

When I got my C2D I benchmarked almost every setting from stock all the way up (just for fun) and you will find with that ram speed that your superPI 1M times will be much higher than everyone else's, perhaps as much as 5-8 seconds

You will want at least PC6400

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damnit. After upgrading my case, PSU, CPU and Graphics card, now I have to upgrade my ram?

I might just sell my 2gb kit now while prices are high ^.^

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
well, what are its timings? if youve got ddr2 533 memory at 3-3-3-8 then sure, loosen those timings to 4-4-4-12 (or 5-5-5-15 for that matter) and get to overclocking. you're better off with a kit rated at ddr2 800 or ddr2 667.

maybe you could just run a small memory divider and then overclock it to ddr2 533 like its rated at, and just overclock the cpu and its fsb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts