Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow Interesting take a read :

Quote:

THE NEWLY-UNVEILED Core 2 Extreme QX6700, the first quad-core dual-die PC CPU, is a hot chip - both in terms of performance and demand for it, as well as, literally, its heat.
After all, two Core 2 6700 dies put together will more-or-less create double the warmth when operated at the same original speed - or 130W in this case, same as my old Pentium XE965 (which has only two slower cores on the same 65nm process, to be fair).

The bundled Intel heat sinks have never garnered a great reputation in matching these expensive and fast CPUs - if I was Intel retail group I'd bundle at least an equivalent of CoolerMaster or Thermaltake high-end copper model, if not the Zalman 9700, with such a $1,000+ chip.

Quote:

The system, based on Intel's D975XBX2 "overclocker friendly" mainboard and fast, low-latency Corsair XMS5400CL3 memory (running at DDR2-533 CL 3-2-2-6 at 1.8 volts), was set up on a clean white table within like five minutes, and, for good measure, I plugged in the fast (and just as hot) HIS IceQ 3 X1900XTX card - the one whose Arctic Cooling gadgetry allows smooth 700/1600 GPU/memory operation (see photo). A 500W MGE power supply with LCD display showing power consumption came in handy to compare the power usage in different configurations and loads as well.

More Here:http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35506

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I think I read about 48C on idle with a good air cooler. But i'd think that the chips threshold would be more than 60C.

·
I remember when......
3,812 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
I think I read about 48C on idle with a good air cooler. But i'd think that the chips threshold would be more than 60C.
Why? Kentsfield is simply 2 Conroe cores on one die......the thermal limit will likely not change. High end air cooling will simply be required to harness the power of these beasts......and I wouldn't call a 9700 "high end", but that's the Inquirer for you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts