Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get opinions here: when do you think nVidia will release the GTX 580- equivalent of there next GPU series? I've seen the so-called "roadmap" but I honestly don't think it's real. There's been so little concrete information about nVidia's next series, sadly enough. I guess I might just end up going with the 7970 6 GB model when it comes out. I'm hoping to see a 680/780 (which is it, by the way?) in the summer. Is this a possibility? I wish nVidia wouldn't be so late to the party
frown.gif
Just looking to get some opinions. You're welcome to share your thoughts, too.

Thanks!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyman View Post

Speculation puts the 760 in 2-3 months. The wind is saying the high end cards will release after that, so look at 4-6 months out. You never know though, nvidia can surprise us. They've done it before.
So we could very well see a 680/780 in June or July? But which is it? I've seen the next generation referred to as both.
tongue.gif
 

·
!
Joined
·
9,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyman View Post

Speculation puts the 760 in 2-3 months. The wind is saying the high end cards will release after that, so look at 4-6 months out. You never know though, nvidia can surprise us. They've done it before.
This is just about how I've interpreted the most recent rumors as well. Something from Nvidia around April that is supposed to compete with the 7970 either in performance or by offering less performance for much cheaper.

I don't know what they are supposed to be called 7xx or 6xx but I don't see how that matters.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Blackout621

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,305 Posts
I'm hoping nvidia settles the current pricing model back down. AMD came in and priced their "next gen" cards relative to the performance of last gen cards, so all the market points have simply been shifted up about 200 dollars or more (7970 is 200 more than the 6970 it replaces and the 7950 is about 200 dollars more than the 6950 it replaces.) I was hoping they would come in and put the 7970 a bit above the 6970 as to make a stand and say this is the next gen. However, they came in and priced the 7970 relative to the 580's performance (which the 580 was already an expensive card when it was launched.)

The 7870 and the 7850 are pretty much pointless because they perform on par with the 6970 and 6950 respectively, but cost the same if not more...

Hopefully, nvidia sets the pricing back to normal. I really don't want to pay 299 for a 7870 that performs like a 6970.
wink.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyman View Post

I'm hoping nvidia settles the current pricing model back down. AMD came in and priced their "next gen" cards relative to the performance of last gen cards, so all the market points have simply been shifted up about 200 dollars or more (7970 is 200 more than the 6970 it replaces and the 7950 is about 200 dollars more than the 6950 it replaces.) I was hoping they would come in and put the 7970 a bit above the 6970 as to make a stand and say this is the next gen. However, they came in and priced the 7970 relative to the 580's performance (which the 580 was already an expensive card when it was launched.)
The 7870 and the 7850 are pretty much pointless because they perform on par with the 6970 and 6950 respectively, but cost the same if not more...
Hopefully, nvidia sets the pricing back to normal. I really don't want to pay 299 for a 7870 that performs like a 6970.
wink.gif
Wow, I never thought about that. Good point!
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Blackout621

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,822 Posts
Does anyone know the expected price drop of the 580 in june/july when we get a few models of kepler out? $50-$100 drop?

What has it been in the past?

I want a 580 but im waiting till kepler is out, 1 to see their performaces, and 2 to get a price drop on the fermi chips...But who knows, maybe kepler will be a big wow and will be worth the $$$...who knows???!?!?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts

·
Retired Moderation
Joined
·
10,672 Posts
An OCN member last week was invited to a Q & A with Nvidia CEO and posted on OCN asking members what questions they might have so he could bring those questions to the meeting.

Sounds like we got five to seven more weeks before first cards release. It's speculated the 670 is going to outperform the 7970 and the 680 even more so. All he could say was if you haven't purchased a 7970 yet to wait for Keplers release before making up your mind. It's worth the wait if your system is not struggling performance wise right now.
wink.gif
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Coach Mcguirk

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subyman View Post

I'm hoping nvidia settles the current pricing model back down. AMD came in and priced their "next gen" cards relative to the performance of last gen cards, so all the market points have simply been shifted up about 200 dollars or more (7970 is 200 more than the 6970 it replaces and the 7950 is about 200 dollars more than the 6950 it replaces.) I was hoping they would come in and put the 7970 a bit above the 6970 as to make a stand and say this is the next gen. However, they came in and priced the 7970 relative to the 580's performance (which the 580 was already an expensive card when it was launched.)
The 7870 and the 7850 are pretty much pointless because they perform on par with the 6970 and 6950 respectively, but cost the same if not more...
Hopefully, nvidia sets the pricing back to normal. I really don't want to pay 299 for a 7870 that performs like a 6970.
wink.gif
that is a very good point indeed, and it is the obvious business solution because the competition isnt here yet. who would want to compete with themselves afterall?
not to mention amd wasnt making enough money out of graphics despite the good sales, this is why amd has focused on designing chips with smaller die sizes and higher clocks to compete with nvidias big die sizes(which are problematic in the manufacturing side, and causes nvidia alot of headache almost every time)

if you have been keeping up with specs you will notice nvidias mid-high range 660 to be close to amds high end hd7970 in tdp and die size. and looking back at the hd6970 and their nvidia counterpart you will see the same thing happening, only difference last time amd couldnt price their chips like they intended, but they sure did this time which is exactly why they rushed as much as possible with the hd7000 series to have as much time as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone see the 7970 competitor from nVidia being here by June?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout621 View Post

I want to get opinions here: when do you think nVidia will release the GTX 580- equivalent of there next GPU series? I've seen the so-called "roadmap" but I honestly don't think it's real. There's been so little concrete information about nVidia's next series, sadly enough. I guess I might just end up going with the 7970 6 GB model when it comes out. I'm hoping to see a 680/780 (which is it, by the way?) in the summer. Is this a possibility? I wish nVidia wouldn't be so late to the party
frown.gif
Just looking to get some opinions. You're welcome to share your thoughts, too.

Thanks!
thumb.gif
Can you define what you mean by 580 equivalent. Do you mean the gpu tier or the performance equivalent of a 580? It sounds like you want the tier... And rumors in the wind say late this year. Pure rumor from spending way too much time Googling looking for dates myself. You will probably be better off with a 7970 instead of waiting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 916ninja View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout621 View Post

I want to get opinions here: when do you think nVidia will release the GTX 580- equivalent of there next GPU series? I've seen the so-called "roadmap" but I honestly don't think it's real. There's been so little concrete information about nVidia's next series, sadly enough. I guess I might just end up going with the 7970 6 GB model when it comes out. I'm hoping to see a 680/780 (which is it, by the way?) in the summer. Is this a possibility? I wish nVidia wouldn't be so late to the party
frown.gif
Just looking to get some opinions. You're welcome to share your thoughts, too.

Thanks!
thumb.gif
Can you define what you mean by 580 equivalent. Do you mean the gpu tier or the performance equivalent of a 580? It sounds like you want the tier... And rumors in the wind say late this year. Pure rumor from spending way too much time Googling looking for dates myself. You will probably be better off with a 7970 instead of waiting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
That's correct. Rumors point towards Q3 2012 being release date for GK110 or the 580-equivalent.
 

·
Burritos are B7
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
My understanding, (from what I read yesterday), is at the end of this month the 600 series will be released. I believe the 680 will be out at that time. $$$ in bank, waiting on kepler and Ivy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zantrill View Post

My understanding, (from what I read yesterday), is at the end of this month the 600 series will be released. I believe the 680 will be out at that time. $$$ in bank, waiting on kepler and Ivy.
I hope this is true, lol.
redface.gif
 

·
Burritos are B7
Joined
·
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Though the official launch of the GeForce GTX 680 is rumored to be scheduled for March 23, it is said that the Santa Clara, California-based company will speak of the board a bit sooner.

According to VR-Zone, NVIDIA will reveal some details, in official capacity, on March 12 this year (2012).

That is less than a week from now, so this calls for a tally of what is known about the product so far.

There will be 1,536 stream processors in the GK104 graphics processing unit, though NVIDIA calls them CUDA cores.

Speaking of which, the shader hotclock will be in effect: the SPs will run faster than the GPU, despite what rumors have been saying.

To elaborate, the graphics chip will operate at 706 MHz and the CUDA cores at 1,411 MHz.

The memory controller will exhibit some improvements as well, actually pushing the VRAM to a 6 GHz performance.

As such, the memory bandwidth will be of 192 GB/s, the same as the one on the GTX 580, despite the memory bus being narrower.

NVIDIA previously said that the Kepler would be unbeatable when it finally arrives, and what we have seen so far shows that it is at least possible to live up to that boast.

Moving on, the high-end video controller possesses two SLI connectors, leading to 3-way SLI multi-GPU support. The weird power plugs may interfere with this capability though.

Finally, there are two DVI video outputs available, plus an HDMI and a DisplayPort. Not exactly the same multi-display support as AMD's Eyefinity, but 4 monitors is still a large number.

We continue to hope that the experimental, stacked PCI Express power connectors don't make it into the final incarnation of the Kepler. Perhaps NVIDIA will say something about this at the upcoming event. If not, we'll just have to wait and see.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/12-March-is-When-NVIDIA-Will-Reveal-GTX-680-Kepler-Details-256836.shtml
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top