Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want your input between these two boards.

I want to go ahead and do a brown cherry switch and a Keyboard with back lighting.

I am looking at either:

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

OR

Ducky Shine

Also, does anyone know the cost of a ducky shine keyboard?

As of now im leaning more towards the Ducky shine for quality reasons. But what do you guys think would be best?

Final question. If comparing the ducky and blackwidow stealth to a DAS keyboard, am I sacrificing quality for getting a backlit keyboard? Would a das be a better option if I were to ditch the backlight issue?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Ducky Shine.

Razer build quality is absolute nonsense. Plus you will have many more options as far as switch choices go with the Shine.

If you're going to ditch the backlight issue then get a Filco.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
I am with Evtron here: the Black Widow boards just aren't worth the price they're charging. The Ducky Shine is quite superior.

Edit: Actually, I just realized I'd better respond to specific points:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack;15257572
So I want your input between these two boards.

I want to go ahead and do a brown cherry switch and a Keyboard with back lighting.

I am looking at either:

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate

OR

Ducky Shine

Also, does anyone know the cost of a ducky shine keyboard?
I don't, but I'm not worried about it because I know someone else will know.

Quote:
As of now im leaning more towards the Ducky shine for quality reasons. But what do you guys think would be best?
Between these two, I think the Ducky Shine wins hands down.

Quote:
Final question. If comparing the ducky and blackwidow stealth to a DAS keyboard, am I sacrificing quality for getting a backlit keyboard? Would a das be a better option if I were to ditch the backlight issue?
The Black Widow will be fine, but only at first. For some reason, these things start showing problems in less than a year which is ridiculous because mechanical keyboards should last "forever".

So I do think that going with the BW is an unnecessary sacrifice unless you absolutely, positively require backlighting.

Otherwise, I say that it's almost a toss-up between a Ducky Shine, Das, or even a Filco Majestouch. Or, a Leopold Tactile Touch.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'd say get the ducky.

I have a DAS and a BW both with blues and personally I'd say the DAS doesn't feel a lot more superior, but i'd recommend against BWs simply because of the amount of people i've seen having problems with them, even though i've had mine without any issues almost since their release.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Definitely go for the Ducky Shine unless you're getting the black widow for a very low price (only reason I have one
tongue.gif
). The black widows build quality feels very cheap compared to my happy hacker and my brothers Das keyboard. Also I don't know if they fixed this already or not but the shift key can get stuck at times.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
alright, Thank you so much for the quick responses and all of your help. I think my final decision on a mech. keyboard will be the ducky shine. I am not to concerned about the price considering I was willing to spend 140 on a black widow ultimate stealth... if the ducky shine has better quality then the higher price is more justified and it wont bother me at all. Hopefully the ducky shines come in soon enough.... i want to try a mechanical keyboard compared to my cheapo dome keyboard..

Again, thank you very much for the responses and all of your help.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack;15257677
alright, Thank you so much for the quick responses and all of your help. I think my final decision on a mech. keyboard will be the ducky shine. I am not to concerned about the price considering I was willing to spend 140 on a black widow ultimate stealth... if the ducky shine has better quality then the higher price is more justified and it wont bother me at all. Hopefully the ducky shines come in soon enough.... i want to try a mechanical keyboard compared to my cheapo dome keyboard..

Again, thank you very much for the responses and all of your help.
You're very welcome!

I paid $139.00 for my Filco Majestouch, and I absolutely love it. I have had it ever since March 9th of last year.
smile.gif

·
Banned
11,670 Posts
See my post! Unless you want to wait for the OCN-branded version, it is available for preorder for $160. If I were in the market for a backlit KB, I would snatch the chance.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
omg..... I totally forgot that the Ducky Shine is a backlit keyboard. I only learned this once and then I kind of mentally dismissed it because I already have a mechanical that I love. So over the course of time for some reason, I started thinking "shine must be referring to a high-gloss finish".
doh.gif

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725;15257779
There is already a pre-order on Geekhack, a keyboard enthusiast site:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?21910-Group-Buy-Ducky-shining-pre-order-arrived-on-9-25-159.99-shipping-all-4-Switches
should I go through them? or should I wait it out till the end of the month and buy it from overclock.net (here)....

I have never even done anything on their site so i dont know... i feel like i trust the people here more...

and they are 20 bucks for shipping... would it be that much through tank guys?

·
Banned
11,670 Posts
@TC - That's OK, even you make mistakes.
tongue.gif

@OP - I've purchased many things on geekhack and from this seller in particular. Take it from me, you can trust the site wholeheartedly, these are dedicated keyboard enthusiasts and addicts. Shines will hit OCN (TankGuys) early 2012. The decision is up to you. It will probably be $20-40 cheaper on TankGuys but it'll only be there in 3-5 months.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725;15257845
@TC - That's OK, even you make mistakes.
tongue.gif

@OP - I've purchased many things on geekhack and from this seller in particular. Take it from me, you can trust the site wholeheartedly, these are dedicated keyboard enthusiasts and addicts. Shines will hit OCN (TankGuys) early 2012. The decision is up to you. It will probably be $20-40 cheaper on TankGuys but it'll only be there in 3-5 months.
alright, well I dont think that I really want to wait 3-5 months for the possibility of only saving 20 bucks.... I will probably go ahead and order now then. Thank you very much for the help.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,936 Posts
hehe even I make mistakes. I liked that one.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725;15257889
No problem.
thumb.gif

Which switches are you going with?
Cherry MX Browns. Where have you been?
biggrin.gif
upsidedwnsmiley.gif

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm725;15257889
No problem.
thumb.gif

Which switches are you going with?
alright, just placed my order. And I went with the brown switches.. seeing that I type alot as well as play games it seemed like a good choice since its kind of the middle ground. I tried blues before and I wasnt a fan of the noise... Blacks seem to stiff (dome board causes my fingers to get tired when gaming) so since brown switches were quieter, pleasant to type on and only requiring 45g of force to actuate, it seemed like the best deal for me.

When it gets here I will make a video or something and post it so you guys can see it.

Again, thank you VERY MUCH for the help. I dont know what I would have done without the input from everyone on this site... I would have probably gone crazy trying to figure out what board to get. Its hard to tell when you cant go down to a store and really test them out.

·
Banned
11,670 Posts
Awesome, I think you are going to love your keyboard. Good choice, Browns are a nice way to gauge what switch you like. After typing on two MX Brown boards, I realize I want a lighter switch, so I am moving on to MX Reds.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts