Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!
I have a GALAX/KFA2 HOF 980ti that I've bought second hand a year ago, so no warranty here.
The thing is that 1 month ago the central fan started to go crazy, early O.S boot it started to go from 20% to 100% until after 5 minutes it stabilices.
After that, my computer started to crash when playing, always when "cold" bood, I mean, computer off 1 day, then I boot and start playing and it crashed, after that then boots normaly and no crashes again until it goes "cold" again.
The last time crashed 3-4 times in 15 minutes and I decided to dissasembly the card, clean it all and then mount it again, after that I'm getting beeps when trying to boot, 1 long, 2 shorts -> VGA problem, and did not boot again.

I think its a soldering problem and I'm seriously thinking about a professional reballing, 100$ aprox, but I'd like to get some opinions to know if someone had the same problem before.

What do you think guys?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
have you tried pressing the bios switch at the back of the card to see if the second bios does the same otherwise you need to get a bios for the card to see if you flash it will fix the issues.

Also plese describe the procedure in detail on how you removed the card and what thermal paste was used. Something doesn't sound right. I have the same card and one of my fans failed but I'm using a 120mm corsair fan for now to keep my card from overheating.

Other than a bad thermal paste application, bad/corrupted bios, bad overclocking I can't think of anything else it can be. The only other thing I think it can be is your pci-e slot maybe faulty. Do you have another pc to try the card in maybe a friends pc. You can also try to clean the pci-e slot and the gold contacts with an eraser to see if that helps.

DON'T REBALL YOUR GPU JUST YET TRY WHAT I SAID ABOVE AND I MIGHT ALSO BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU A STOCK BIOS YOU CAN TRY TO REFLASH YOUR CARD WITH IF THE SUGGESTED SOLLUTIONS DOESN'T WORK!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you tried pressing the bios switch at the back of the card to see if the second bios does the same otherwise you need to get a bios for the card to see if you flash it will fix the issues.

Also plese describe the procedure in detail on how you removed the card and what thermal paste was used. Something doesn't sound right. I have the same card and one of my fans failed but I'm using a 120mm corsair fan for now to keep my card from overheating.

Other than a bad thermal paste application, bad/corrupted bios, bad overclocking I can't think of anything else it can be. The only other thing I think it can be is your pci-e slot maybe faulty. Do you have another pc to try the card in maybe a friends pc. You can also try to clean the pci-e slot and the gold contacts with an eraser to see if that helps.

DON'T REBALL YOUR GPU JUST YET TRY WHAT I SAID ABOVE AND I MIGHT ALSO BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU A STOCK BIOS YOU CAN TRY TO REFLASH YOUR CARD WITH IF THE SUGGESTED SOLLUTIONS DOESN'T WORK!!!!!
Hello mate!
Yes, I'ver tried everything, this is not the first GPU I disasembly, old thermal was removed and cleaned correctly and new one well applyied, I consider I've got skills for that (I've succesfully delided my 4790K + liquid metal :p )
I've tried also the bios switch but no luck.
I've tried also to conect it to another PC and no luck too.
I've connected it as secondary VGA and windows recognice a 980ti but cant "enable it" neither read bios from it.
I've cleaned contacts also.

I've taken a good look at pcb and its perfect, no visual damage.

Tonight I'm trying to do a light oven reflow to see if thats the problem, if it works, I'll take it to a professional reballing.

Any other idea?

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finally I've cooked it.

First time, 195º 8 minutes, same result.
Second time, 210º, at minute 5 condensers started to "plop" and fly, so maybe they were faulty.

Now I'm going to change them all and try again for the last time because I've found that 980ti had a PCB design problem that makes them die, so maybe this is the problem...

·
Registered
982 Posts
I wonder when "reflowing" BGA chips will finally die, it's a temporary fix at best that isn't the cause of broken lead free solder joints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts