Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
MMO Enthusiast
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the surprise of its customers, Amazon users have increasingly been receiving photographs of their own door after a delivery has been made. It turns out that this is one of the company’s new security methods that it has quietly been trialling for the past few months in an attempt to quell the theft of parcels while in transit.
The photographs are included within the notice of the successful delivery and show exactly where the parcel has been left in an unobscured manner. Dubbed “Amazon Logistics Photo On Delivery,” the method is an attempt to deliver indisputable proof that the item has been delivered when the resident is not at home to collect the parcel.
Link: https://www.kitguru.net/tech-news/d...f-their-front-door-in-flawed-security-effort/

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yeah, and Amazon also offers a service where their delivery drivers have ACCESS TO YOUR HOUSE, but its ok there is a camera watching the front door! This wont at all result in duplicitous drivers telling their "friends" or rather, "cohorts" about a house packed to the brim with expensive stuff that's easy to case and rob.

Nope. Please by all means allow random unknowns ACCESS TO MY HOUSE, alongside pictures of the front which may reveal any security or easy to access windows and entrances. I 10000% trust random people I do not know to access my house and not at all tell any cohorts about how easy it would be to rob me of my 4,000$ TV I just had delivered through amazon.

Do people actually sign up for this stuff? When I had first heard about the allow delivers to be left inside your house I was like, "ok, that is a really stupid idea. Even if drivers don't come back to rob you, I'm 1000000% sure that some less than honest drivers will tell people to go back and rob you, and split it." Now they're taking photos of your front door and the outside of your house to "increase" security?

This should just be labeled what it is "WAYS TO DECREASE LIABILITIES FOR ROBBERIES FOR AMAZON". But once again, when that less than honest driver, who NOT ONLY HAS ACCESS TO THE ENTRANCE OF YOUR HOUSE, AND CAN SEE ANY SECURITY FEATURES YOU MAY (OR MAY NOT) HAVE IN THE FRONT ENTRANCE WAY, AND NOW ALONGSIDE A LITERAL PICTURE OF THE FRONT OF YOUR HOUSE? Yeah, it might not be them because when they come inside a photo is taken of them "leaving a package" but it wont be them who are the ones robbing you: the less than honest ones just tell their buddies who are even less honest than them about how easy it is to rob you, and 2 months later, after you get 10 thousand dollars worth of Amazon deliveries, you get robbed. Well at least now its not on Amazon!

Absolutely ridiculous. Anyone who is signing up for allowing random drivers access to your house (even if they undergo STRINGENT background checks, again it doesn't have to be them. They just have to tell someone about how easy/hard it is to rob X, Y, Z houses) now they are literally being told to "case" your house, taking photographs of the outside of your house, and learning even more about how easy/hard it is to rob you.

"Oh this house seems to hard to rob, lets check out the photo of the next one! Oh this one seems REALLY easy to rob, and you tell me you've made deliveries of 2 4k TVs, a 500$ Roomba, a dishwasher, and a 2000$ laptop within the last 2 months? I know where I'm going tomorrow!"

Is anyone here signed up for any of these services? I'm really curious. These "services" just have bad idea written all over them in my opinion. These are just like.....just madness to me. Whats the point of Amazon lockers anyway if you can just give someone electronic access to your house? And lets not even mention how much easier it will be to 'easily' gain illegal access to someones house electronically, as opposed to a neighbor seeing someone crowbar open your front door, and stepping outside to walk the door and seeing your doorframe splintered all over the place.

Just terrible, terrible, terrible ideas in my opinion. And who are the MOST LIKELY to use these services? Rich people who have big houses who don't want to have to bother with dealing with delivery men and possibly have foyers and areas in the front of their house they don't mind some random delivery driver having "access" to because oh its just a 'mud room' never mind that they can see all the security features as soon as they come in there.

Sorry for the rant. I just see all of this amazon having access to your literal home as you know, not a good idea.

·
*THIS SPACE FOR RENT*
595 Posts
Yeah, and Amazon also offers a service where their delivery drivers have ACCESS TO YOUR HOUSE, but its ok there is a camera watching the front door! This wont at all result in duplicitous drivers telling their "friends" or rather, "cohorts" about a house packed to the brim with expensive stuff that's easy to case and rob...
It not so many words, I have to agree. For the 99% of drivers that are honest, good workers, it only takes one abuse the system and cause a lot of headaches. I definitely wouldn't take advantage of the ability for delivery personnel to deliver inside my home. However, I can't say I'm quite as concerned as the picture verification, as far as the security aspect goes. With Google maps, it's not hard to see my entire front yard, entryway, etc.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I totally agree that this is totally creepy and a way for Amazon to dodge responsibility when something gets stolen by "porch pirates". What really bites my ample asset is I spend a lot of money every year to have my mail and packages delivered to a UPS Store so they can be kept in a secure location until I can pick them up but Amazon's delivery morons will drop packages outside the door when store is closed. The store is located on an outside corner of a busy strip mall. They did it to me once (I haven't given them any more chances to do it). It's one of the reasons, except for eBooks (and I'm about ready to start buying them elsewhere), I'm not doing business with Amazon anymore.

·
Registered
634 Posts
A thief can just steal the package after the picture is taken. So it can't really be used to prove anything wasn't stolen.

Most likely this is just a way to discipline delivery drivers. Drivers are under ridiculous amounts of pressure from management to make their numbers and falling behind due to traffic etc. would be tempted to scan packages as delivered before actually making the delivery.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As I said, they should just call it what it really is "WAY FOR AMAZON TO CLAIM NO LIABILITY FOR THEFT OF PACKAGES".

"OH well we have a photo of the package successfully delivered at 10:03AM. So sorry that it was missing when you got home from work at 5PM, but that's your problem not ours" Ha ha ha!

Get out of here. You want to deliver stuff INSIDE of my house, but I wont let you. Now you want to take a picture of the outside of my house (which I don't want you to do anyway) just to show it got delivered 2 hours after I went in to work, but 7 hours before I got home. But its my fault.

Oh I guess you want me to use those Amazon delivery lockers you have located at places like 7/11 and the likes for a "nominal fee'.

Count ourselves lucky that we GET TO pay Amazon a nominal fee on top of the delivery fee from now on to ensure that what they deliver doesn't get stolen! What ever happened to the option of "Sign for delivery" or leaving it at a UPS/Fedex/DHL for another night and if no one can sign for it for 2 days we have to go pick it up ourselves? We
We're so lucky we get to pay EXTRA MONEY ON TOP OF SHIPPING & HANDLING to have our items delivered to some random spot to ensure they're not stole off our front porch!

What a bummer, they cannot fit my 50" 4k TV delivery in the 1.5'x1.5' amazon lockers at 7/11, but they sure as hell can leave it on my porch/outside my apartment in a populated neighborhood and take a picture after they do to ensure "Well, at least we don't have to cover it now if it gets stolen between now and the 6 hours from now until the person gets home form work! And it'll allow our drivers to make more deliveries too since they will always be able to drop off a package no matter what, as long as they take that photo absolving us of any liability!"

They want to "Make life easier!" when the cold harsh reality is they want to make it cheaper (and quicker, which equates to cheaper) for themselves, Amazon, to make deliveries.

"Here's your 3,000$ TV, we just left it outside of your home in a heavy urban area where crime is high, but we took a photo showing that we delivered it! Oh and make no mind of if the 0.001% of drivers who are not on the up and up and simply called a friend and told them they just made a delivery that they suspect is a TV/XBOX One/thousands of dollars worth of computer parts/expensive clothes or sneakers/an entire kilogram of expensive whatever worth hundreds of dollars, please pay no thought to that at all! That will never happen!

Because you see we took a photo proving we left it on your doorstep!"

Just a gigantic joke in case I didn't emphasize that enough.

Again, I refer you to the previous statement of how not long ago where that was called keeping it at the UPS/FEDEX/DHL center and having to drive there to pick it up, at 0 extra cost. Nope, now you have to pay to get your items delivered to some random store in the middle of wherever is most inconvenient for you. Again, it's just a nominal fee! Free to KEEP IT? Sorry you have to pay to STORE IT NOW at our shipping centers. Or pay to store it at 7/11. Nope, nothing is free around here. Because you're paying for convenience! Besides you're spending less with our store anyway, so its like, the same as if you bought it from someone else for more money! Oh what's that, you would've paid the other store more money to keep them in business? WELL SORRY ABOUT THAT BUT NOW THAT SEVERAL YEARS HAVE PASSED, WE HAVE RUN MORE BUSINESSES INTO THE GROUND THAN ANY OTHER COMPANY I CAN THINK OF IN MEMORY. SO NOW YOU HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO PAY US, AMAZON, THE SAME AMOUNT YOU MAY HAVE PAID TO MR&MRS MOMPOP'S LOCAL STORE TO KEEP THEM EMPLOYED AND IN BUSINESS, BUT SINCE WE RAN THEM OUT AND THEY NO LONGER EXIST ANYMORE, YOU CAN NOW PAY US THE SAME YOU WOULD HAVE PAID TO KEEP THEM IN BUSINESS, BUT NOW YOU MUST PAY IT TO US, AMAZON, BECAUSE THEY DONT EXIST ANYMORE!

·
Overclocker
11,650 Posts
Yeah well I guess Amazon in US has not learned yet to use reliable couriers that will only give the package hand to hand to the customer (verified by ID at best etc.) and no one else and absolutely not leave it somewhere in front of customer's door LOL How can anyone sensible even use such couriers. And if Amazon is using their own courier service in US that does this... well then that is one pathetic courier service if they just leave stuff out on the "front lawn".

Smaller shops? Depends, there didn't seem to be that many in US to begin with and everything quickly got gobbled up by the huge corporations that offered better services and prices. Decent shops survive the Amazon invasion quite fine when they offer better services and similar prices since they all still get stuff in large quantities from quite the same distributors anyway. In Canada people cry there are no computer shops to buy stuff from even yet none go and start some, what is there magically dies from poor services and people shop across the border from US instead... So who's to blame sometimes. Amazon doesn't offer a product in Canada neither do local shops that may still survive and people are forced to get the product elsewhere abroad. This may not seem so common to US populace but in EU it's quite normal that each part falls into different distribution channel and getting a product sometimes requires to shop international to be able to get it at all even when local shops are "healthy" and not killed off by Amazon and the like.

Amazon can be competed with as long as shops aren't overly greedy or have terrible expenses due to their inefficient internal processes. Many shops though are often stuck in middle ages at times and won't last long, doesn't matter if it's Amazon or other local big shop attracting the customers over eventually.

·
Still here...
3,332 Posts

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
Here in Casnukastan They will ship with Canada post and also retain it at the post office sending a email to let you know its ready for pickup. I use this method all the time, saves me from having to go home to get whatever.

I have had a few wars with UPS, Purolator and FED EX about deliveries. With them claiming to have been and left a note but them NOT actually coming in the drive (about 1KM long). Reps gets testy when i tell them their drivers are full of **** and liars that they were in the driveway and no one was home. Left a note... yup ok. Seems the security cameras are blind to your delivery vehicles but can pick up the rabbits mating at night 100+ feet away.
Furthermore had the liar been at my house he would of seen the release form taped to the door saying to leave my crap and go. Purolator and UPS is a ~50km (one way) drive to the depot, fedex is a 20km drive (one way).
/Rant

Cheers

·
Still here...
3,332 Posts
Yeah, I've heard such horror stories from others this side of the border and I can understand the sort of frustration that might be associated with them. But (knock on wood) I've never had such bad luck myself, perhaps because I work from home and usually am here when deliveries arrive. I also stay on top of tracking info and make an effort to be home when deliveries show up. That said, I do have regular UPS and FedEx drivers who know me well and treat me well, who get stuffed envelopes at Xmas time.

·
RGB Rainbow Vomit!
990 Posts
A thief can just steal the package after the picture is taken. So it can't really be used to prove anything wasn't stolen.

Most likely this is just a way to discipline delivery drivers. Drivers are under ridiculous amounts of pressure from management to make their numbers and falling behind due to traffic etc. would be tempted to scan packages as delivered before actually making the delivery.
Amazon dont care about that. The photo is to show that Amazon have done their part and can ignore any complaints from customers claiming items were not delivered.

·
Overclocker
11,650 Posts
Amazon dont care about that. The photo is to show that Amazon have done their part and can ignore any complaints from customers claiming items were not delivered.
In civilized world a delivered package means that the customer has personally taken the package not that it was left somewhere unsecured unattended. It has indeed by all means not been delivered if they simply throw it at your lawn or in front your door hoping no one will steal it before the customer comes home. Why do they even use such pathetic shipping companies is beyond me. If the customer can't be reached then they should attempt to deliver at a later date again, all with notifications and if you cannot be reached via phone and be there to pick up your package multiple times, well then that's your problem and package should get returned to the sender/Amazon not be left somewhere to rot/be stolen.

This doesn't seem to be an Amazon problem if Amazon is not running the delivery company but rather the poor unreliable couriers in US if they leave packages where ever they want.
Of course Amazon could stomp on them and require a signed delivery as is common in civilized world where only the costumer in person can receive a package from courier and no one else.
No wonder there are so many Amazon scams in US and people claiming packages not delivered left and right whether legit or not. Try this sort of crap in EU and you will have cops investigating it in no time since most deliveries the driver already knows you, it's signed or should be signed, everything is tracked, etc. The driver sure won't let it go if you claim your 2k USD/EUR TV wasn't delivered, there would be an investigation from the courier and cops are involved. Even if you get away with it somehow you'll probably get blacklisted with the courier etc.

There are whole forums about Amazon scamming, so it's no wonder Amazon is trying some ways to prevent it though they really should just use reliable couriers instead of silly photos that IMHO should have absolute zero value for anything law wise.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
you're a special kind of tightly strung *******, aren't ya?
Really? So I'm supposed to meekly accept that Amazon negates the reason I pay a large amount of money for a safe, commercial shipping address to avoid the very problem their drivers are creating? Are you offering to pay for my private mail service and cover any losses caused by Amazon dropping off packages at the door of a commercial address after hours?

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
Just register for hub pickup if them taking a picture of your door bothers you...

I have HUGE issues with the whole home-access thing. Not a chance of me using that. This though? No big deal. They are trying to protect themselves from claims of packages never being delivered. If they deliver a package an hour after you left for work, and someone steals it, it should NOT be Amazon's fault. It is your fault for not using one of your many options (delivery instructions to leave in porch or hidden area, hub pickup, locker service, etc). Not Amazon's fault if your sketchy neighbor yanks a package that sat in front of your door for 6hrs, and its not Amazon's fault for not knowing your schedule.

Amazon is simply proving packages are being delivered on their end. That's it. What happens to the package once it is no longer in their possession is not their concern, but customers are blaming them and claiming "never delivered" and this protects them from that.

·
Gaming enthusiast
843 Posts
Amazons couriers dont even knock on my door if im home or not. They just drop and go.

·
User
2,334 Posts
lol who thought that no signed delivery is a good idea let alone leaving packages on the doorstep. where i live everything requieres signature except ordinary mail

·
Overclocker
11,650 Posts
lol who thought that no signed delivery is a good idea let alone leaving packages on the doorstep. where i live everything requieres signature except ordinary mail
Americans, where crime is 0.00001% except the occasional children shooting each other. ;) So far US sounds like thief's heaven. Just follow an Amazon courier and "pick up" packages. "How hard can it be".

1 - 20 of 67 Posts