Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll.

I built a new rig(in the sig) the allendale is OCd to 3.1 ghz and the gts is OCd to the "OC2" cards u can buy,namely 580/875. the OS is vista ultimate 32bit price €1600 ....€500 overbudget
great rig,looks amazing etc...

plays most games on max with the slightest lag..or should i say "played"
the ram usage is completey screwing me,all new games use up huge amount of space, eg bf2142 uses 1.4 gb!!!
I figured that the reason it didnt happen at the start was because vista didnt know what files i used most-and hence didnt waste my ram by loading up what it thinks i need.
before this rig i had A64/1gb ddr/7600 gt
result: i get the same f-ing performance i had with my old athlon rig...pretty graphics but as scratchy and jumpy as ...hell.

this is extremely frustrating to say the least,having spent all that time and money to be able to play multiplayer games smotthly and ending up with this laggy crapcake.

I realise that i will have to go to for 4gb soon but untill i get the money together here are my questions

*do i need 64 bit OS to go to 4gb?
*can i do anything right now to stop this stupidity..some software to free my ram
*is microsoft full of *********** ? ..this one is a rhetorical one...im just venting

any suggestions are welcome.i am off to work but will reply/repup afterwards

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
1. well, the 32bit system will only run up to 3.2GB of ram and wont recognize the rest. if you run 64-bit, you dont NEED 4gb yet, 2GB did fine for me on ultimate 64bit
2.lets see, run an anti-adware (adaware or something), check the processes that are running on your PC and tell me of some weird ones.
3. yes microsoft is full of shiznit. and i dont mean shiznit in a good way.

Other solutions:

1. FIND OUT WHICH PORT BF2142 USES ON YOUR COMPUTER TO ACCESS THE INTERNET and open it in the firewall aswell as your modem/router's Port mapping application. also set your computer as the DMZ host.
2. try the new nvidia drivers, or if you're using the new ones, try an older version.
3. try clocking the video card to its original 800mhz memory and 575 core and turning up the fan.

final solution: go back to windows xp and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
well lets say this,

vista by no doubt has the biggest footprint of all Microsoft's OS's released.

because of this it acutally runs slower than running windows xp.

now like the above posts said with x86 vista it won't use all 4 gb of ram. may be 3.2-3.5 at max will be reconized. but not all of it will be used.

if you want some good ram for cheap:
http://www.overclock.net/online-deal...m-rev-2-a.html

when i idle on my x64 vista it uses almost 1gb of ram, i thought that was crazy from my xp idle, using almost nothing.

when gaming i see no difference when playing cs on xp or vista x64

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by this n00b again
View Post

well lets say this,

I would love to see proof of that - My Vista runs MUCH faster than my XP........

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
He said she said ... Vista and XP.
Gaming performance has proven to suck on the "V" compared to XP and that is not an opinion but based on benchmarks.
As far as other progs and the OSs are concerned... not a clue for sure!

But, IMHO, no Vista... at least not until my you know whats are in a vise!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by this n00b again
View Post

well lets say this,

now like the above posts said with x86 vista it won't use all 4 gb of ram. may be 3.2-3.5 at max will be reconized. but not all of it will be used.

Well... ALL new Windows version will have a larger footprint and will always need more resources.

The issue with the memory isn't Vista's fault. It is the fact that 32-bit just does not have enough address.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Maybe flash the bios to the newest version on the gigabyte website. When I started dual booting xp and vista, vista wouldn't recognize my hard drives correctly. After flashing the bios, vista picks them up and everything is running smoothly. I'm slowly converting everything to vista now because it is working great for me.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
with my system i dont notice any difference in gaming with vista 64bit and xp. and vista runs smoother then xp did. Im not saying vista is better or anything all im saying is in my experience vista didnt slow down my gaming at all. and this was also true wiht my 1900xt

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Well... ALL new Windows version will have a larger footprint and will always need more resources.

Why can't they make an efficient OS? You can have a 3d window manager in linux, and you can do it with 6-7 year old hardware. Why should vista require so damn much? I've yet to game with Vista 64bit, but I must admit it did seem more responsive. Maybe it is efficient? It just loads a lot more to RAM than XP did.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50
View Post

yes, except Berl is useless, and after 5 minutes is kind of stupid. Also good luck getting it to work!

Well, I'll admit getting it to work is iffy, but it's still in beta, and it's actually merging with compiz. As for it's usefulness, that's relative to the user. Can you really tell me the effects in Vista are "useful"? I need a video card to be certified for what exactly? Vista looks polished and all, but the fluff just isn't what it should be for having the money and development time it was given.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey guys just back,skimmed over the posts and im kinda sad that there's no way for me to play games properly untill i get 4 gb/64 bit os...like i said my 2142 uses upto 1.4 gb of ram so it rules out most problems that were suggested and just shows that vista loads up all the maps that i play frequently while im in game and just shoots itself in the foot because the it makes the game extremely laggy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts