Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
I got one recently too, and my rig was only pushing 260 or so in 3dmark 2011, which seemed ridiculously low as well..

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Sounds extremely good, but not too good to be true. That power supply must be ridiculously efficient.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Looks about right to me.

There are a few things to take into consideration:
  • PSU efficiency. If you're unit is 80+, then you'll be consuming less power from the wall compared to a unit that is 75% efficient.
  • Kill-A-Watt meters aren't very accurate with modern computer power supplies (sources).

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by un1b4ll
View Post

Sounds extremely good, but not too good to be true. That power supply must be ridiculously efficient.

It's an antec tpq which is bronze I believe so 80% unless I got some kind of miraculously good one.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Yeah it looks about right (but could still be slightly off). Your rig could easily be powered by a good 450w...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I know it is overkill. I had at once planned to go Tri-Sli and wanted plenty of headroom, but after a while I decided to curtail my plans but at least it is there if I change my mind.

I do have it plugged into a powerstrip surge protector so surge protector -> Kill a watt -> PC. Is this ok? Would it make a difference in accuracy?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino;14161227
I just got a kill a watt, and it is measuring idle at 170 watts, (with speedstep on) and 285 with a aida64 cpu stress test.

Does this sound correct? It is way less than I was expecting.
Those numbers are fine. You can add a chunk more if you hammer the GPU with a power virus (AKA Furmark) while you are loading up the CPU.

At stock settings the CPU is 130W TDP and a GTX 570 is around 220W TDP. Non-extreme overclockers may expect 10-40% more power draw depending on the settings. Those are the most power hungry part of your system.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap;14167504
Those numbers are fine. You can add a chunk more if you hammer the GPU with a power virus (AKA Furmark) while you are loading up the CPU.

At stock settings the CPU is 130W TDP and a GTX 570 is around 220W TDP. Non-extreme overclockers may expect 10-40% more power draw depending on the settings. Those are the most power hungry part of your system.
Yeah the cpu overclock was a very small difference in watts over stock.

Looks like I have enough power to add even two more 570's
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap;14167504

Um. No.

The CPU number you cite is TDP or the maximum permissible thermal dissipation need by design spec. This is only slightly related to actual electrical usage.

The GPU number you cite is actual power draw and not TDP according to Nvidia stock spec.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skripka;14167635
The CPU number you cite is TDP or the maximum permissible thermal dissipation need by design spec. This is only slightly related to actual electrical usage.
Dammit do I have to start putting disclaimers on everything I post again?

Until Intel releases "actual electrical usage" numbers, I'll keep using TDP as a guideline since IMO it is close enough.

People don't need to buy 2x more PSU wattage than their system uses.

Well, that is unless they want to.

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
So I was playing around with my KAW last night and could not get my rig to pull more than 380w. I tried furmark and prime, Linx and AtiTool artifact scanner, Crysis (with and without mods), running three instances of WoW and using Handbrake - all not luck I'm kind of amazed.

I thought that I should have been able to ramp it up pretty high with everythig under stress. I'm going to grab my brothers 580 this weekend and do some more testing.

Also, idle on the desktop I was pulling 99w.

Does this all sound pretty low?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tats;14187933
Also, idle on the desktop I was pulling 99w.

Does this all sound pretty low?
No, as long as all the power management is enabled and working properly.

My wife's rig is an overclocked 2500k with GTX 470. When I was initially doing the build, I had Windows 7 installed on an Intel SSD. With no additional drives or fans, the rig idled at... under 70W according to the KAW. That was using an 800W PSU that is merely 80Plus, no Gold or Platinum. Not even Bronze.

It isn't unknown for a Sandy Bridge setup using a single SSD and the integrated graphics to draw under 30W in idle conditions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts