Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More of just a heads up to others: Disabled OCP in Furmark, set to 950Mhz and .1150v, and let the burn in commence... few minutes later, screen turned to solid color, then lost video. Tempts had been staying under 80c. Now it doesn't give video :\

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Wow. So it didn't die of overheating? Is that stock voltage?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain;13098839
I have done this once.

The GTX 580 is very resillient.

Tell me everything you have tried to get it working again and I will troubleshoot as best as I can.

Also what drivers were you using?
I haven't tried anything yet except letting it sit overnight to be played again with tonight
smile.gif
I have another GTX 580, same model, that I pop in and works fine...

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roweyi7;13098845
Fermi protection should have kicked in and shut the system down. Even with the furmark thingy crossed off!? shouldn't it?
Except he disabled the protection and on top of that used Furmark

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkSterr;13098877
Wow. So it didn't die of overheating? Is that stock voltage?
Stock I think is .1000 - I was running it at .1150, and is max MSI Aftermark lets us set... I've heard .1138 is safe for 24/7, but I think that was before .1150 was an available option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saulin;13098886
Except he disabled the protection and on top of that used Furmark
Interestingly, the other card I have has an older bios that doesn't have the built-in power throttling feature. With all the hell I had thrown at it, I figured this other one wouldn't be a problem given it was OC'ing much better (though I was having a hard time getting a good gauge on it's OC capabilities because of it's OCP, hence the furmark)

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Do you have a back plate on the bad one, can you inspect for any burning/scarring? Otherwise you might have to take off the cooler and check the VRMs for damage.

Try using the other DVI connector.

Letting it cool down sit over night is a good idea, but I would have pulled it from the system for an inspection. Verify that when you turn on the computer, the fan on the card spins. If it comes on full blast and stays that way, thats asymptomatic there is a physical problem with the card.

The cards can run up to 1.203v max in BIOS. Some cards just get no benefit after 1.153/1.160v. In other words their max overclock is GPU/Heat related and not voltage. From my experience if the temps were good, 1.153v even without OCP, is not enough to fry a GTX 580. Although, it may clearly not be the case.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared;13098946

OP can you RMA?

Take it apart, see if there is any physical damage.

Also post screens if there is we love overclocking carnage.
Yeah, am just hesitant to pull up the manufacturer's warranty page to challenge my RMA ethics if it isn't covered... a moral debate with myself for later
wink.gif
If I do RMA, I'm then hesitant to pull apart the card to inspect, but I know ultimately I won't be able to resist
tongue.gif
Lets see what the night brings...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain;13098972
Do you have a back plate on the bad one, can you inspect for any burning/scarring?

Otherwise you might have to take off the cooler.

Try using the other DVI connector.

Letting it cool down sit over night is a good idea, but I would have pulled it from the system for an inspection. Verify that when you turn on the computer, the fan on the card spins. If it comes on full blast and stays that way, thats asymptomatic there is a physical problem with the card.
Thanks.. yeah, meant to mention I did leave it out of system. It does have a back plate. Tried using other DVI connector too, should've mentioned as well
smile.gif

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain;13099033
Is it in the system now? Are you able to trouble shoot it?
Nope, it's being left out of system while I'm at work... will be able to play with it in 5 hours
smile.gif

·
Software Developer
7,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valdamax;13099045
Nope, it's being left out of system while I'm at work... will be able to play with it in 5 hours
smile.gif
Do me a favor then, before you RMA it, which is still an option, PM me, and I will help trouble shoot it with you, and if you need advice taking the heat sink off let me know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain;13099088
Do me a favor then, before you RMA it, which is still an option, PM me, and I will help trouble shoot it with you, and if you need advice taking the heat sink off let me know.
Sounds like a plan, thanks
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Probably more to do with furmark than voltage & OCP, the only thing furmark is good for is too see how much power it can draw & how hot you can make it get , does pretty much nothing for testing stability.

I have run close to 1.3V through a 580 while OCP was disabled running heaven bench (disabling OCP didn't help get better clocks BTW), the gpu was sub-zero but the VRMs still got pretty toasty, card still works fine.

I also have a (different) dead 580 I confirmed on the weekend, haven't seen this before but a few of the gold colored contacts on the tab that goes into the PCI-E slot are broken & starting to peel off. RMA under way...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts