Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PC Gamer
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm test driving Ubuntu 17. It's the first time I've really looked at Linux. I have it set to dual-boot with Windows 10 Pro. Everything is set up (I believe) correctly and both OS will boot fine. What's puzzling me is why every time I switch back from Ubuntu to Windows it moves the clock ahead 5 hours and I have to manually reset it. The clock in Ubuntu is correct, as is Windows before changing OS. Anyone seen that before?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Never seen it, but what I guess is happening, is the Linux system is setting the hardware clock to GMT, then using regional settings to move it forward 5 hours. I'd do some googling and look into the NTPD service that runs (you should see that running in the system monitor). It's probably setting the hardware clock, then regional settings are adding an offset for time. You might need to disable NTPD in Ubuntu. OR it might be windows time that is upsetting things. But i'd try looking at NTPD first, and see if it solves it, since it seems to be Ubuntu causing the issue. I'm not fully up on how to do it, just trying to give you somewhere to look, I run Linux Mint, which I think runs similar services to Ubuntu.

Edit - What it might be worth doing, is as you boot between systems, go into the BIOS and check the time in there, then you can get a handle on which one is changing the system time, if they are, and which way. It might help you find the culprit, and whether its the Ubuntu NTPD or windows time services that need to be looked at.

·
Registered
634 Posts
This happens because Linux uses UTC and Windows uses local time.

The easiest way to fix this is tell Ubuntu to use local time, so open a terminal and enter:

Code:

Code:
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
If that doesn't work,

Code:

Code:
sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1
(there is conflicting info whether it needs sudo to change the time zone)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts