Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read POST #7

So I am kind of new to Intel. I heard that Nvidia goes very well together with Intel and now that I have money on my hands I want to get started biulding my rig. Right now I have about $500 dollars and more will be coming in, especially over the holidays. I want to play crysis maxed out as well as play GTA 4 maxed out. I am not looking for any hardcore i7 parts but want more than a teeny little i3. Here is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760 2.8 Ghz -$210
GPU: GTX 465 Twin Frozr 2 -$200 after rebate
Case: HAF 912 -$60
Mobo: ASUS Maximus III Formula OPEN BOX -$170
PSU: COOLER MASTER GX Series 750w -$80
HDD: Samsung F3 1 Tb: $75 (Maybe upgrade to SSD in future)
Ram: G.Skill 4 Gb DDR3 -$90
DVD: ASUS SATA 24x -$25

So, what do you think? The total is above $500 (Obviously) but I will save up.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
In a lot of tests and reviews, the GTX 460 outdoes the GTX 465. Might want to look up some and think about it. It's a newer GPU design and has lots of potential. Also, any thoughts on CPU cooling, or were you going with stock?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorkseid View Post
In a lot of tests and reviews, the GTX 460 outdoes the GTX 465. Might want to look up some and think about it. It's a newer GPU design and has lots of potential. Also, any thoughts on CPU cooling, or were you going with stock?
I was going to get a H70 later on as part of a future upgrade, Also, if I unlock the GTX 465 to a GTX 470 it will outpreform the GTX 460. I also like MSI because of their quality parts, and the Twin Frozr 2 is one of the best GPU coolers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
When you mean upgrade more parts later how soon will that be? I ask because if going to i3 and being able to pick up a better monitor is an option I say go for that. There are plenty of i3 combo deals for $200 then you can use the other $180 or so for a nice monitor and better resolution gaming.

Disregard what I wrote if you will be able to save another $200 for a monitor shortly after you build that rig.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhamanx
View Post

When you mean upgrade more parts later how soon will that be? I ask because if going to i3 and being able to pick up a better monitor is an option I say go for that. There are plenty of i3 combo deals for $200 then you can use the other $180 or so for a nice monitor and better resolution gaming.

Disregard what I wrote if you will be able to save another $200 for a monitor shortly after you build that rig.

I am not looking to save up on a monitor as I find them extremely expensive. I would rather game on my Samsung 1080p LCD TV and maybe buy a Nvidia 3D TV set as my TV can do 120 Hz. I am not a fan of anything below the performance of an i5 and nothing lower than 4 cores. I also have a laptop screen with a resolution of 1240x1024 so I can just buy one of those adapters to connect my DVI to the screen and have a nice low-res monitor. Anyways I am not looking for any monitors as of the moment.

·
Registered
780 Posts
that all looks fine. you might want to wait until after the hd 6000 series launches sometime in oct/nov. even if you still went the nvidia route it'd likely be a bit cheaper

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, I'm trying to bring this topic from the dead as I am still thinking about this rig. Anyways, are there any parts where I can shave off a bit of money and not really have a big performance decrease?

There is a ton of motherboards out there that are cheaper than the ASUS for $170, and the ASUS might be missing something like the sound card and other accessories. I want a Mobo with good OC'ing abilities, more than 1 PCI-E slot, a nice theme, and from a company that has a good reputation.

The GTX 465 costs more than $200 now and is beaten by the 460 in many benches, so I am looking for a GTX460 from a good manufacturer.

I am looking for a cheaper DVD drive, there are plenty sub $20 out there, but I cant find a good one.

Any cheaper processors than the 760 and not noticeably slower, or should I go AMD?

Any cheaper PSU's out there that are still good and have a low failure rate?

Anyways, here are some of my questions about my planned rig. I do not want a noticeable performance decrease, but I want a significant price drop in the cost of my rig.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts