Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to build a chepa comp for a friend...

He has a dell 2.8 celeron lol

He dosn'et have MUCH to spend, but im trying to do the best I can for the money...

http://www.partspc.com/store/product3971.html
would that motherbaord be decent? It only supports up to pc2700 ddr =\\

Im wanting to match the board up with this proccesor
http://www.bestbargainpc.com/pe42531mbcar1.html

And hopfully liquid cool and OC it to 3.4-4ghz

Would this make do? Or do you have any other budget products to recomend?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess what im really asking if 2700 is gonna be enough?

since the board says its takes up to 2700, and I believe 2700 only goes up to 166fsb? and the board has stock 133fsb?
What kind of overclocking woudl this give?

Then again I guess we could up the multiplier...

Or should we look for a board that supports 3200 or 3600? will it be worth the cash? were trying to stay cheap as possible but still get some pretty good performance (I convinced him to go water cooled and oc
)

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
P4 Multipliers are locked...
533MHz FSB chips use dual channel PC2700 ... so I don't know what you're asking?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
RAM frequency is determined by the FSB, since it says it'll support 800MHz FSB by overclocking, you can use PC3200 RAM with it... but it probably won't go any higher than that, so you'll likely need a different board.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whats the min ram type you'd suggest for overclocking a good bit?

I think hes gonna go with a 2.8 since its the best deal for the money.. And we wanna hit as high as he can hit with a basic cooling setup (in other words, no chiller)

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
If the mobo supports 800 mhz FSB CPU's (which it does, as does the 865 chipset in general), then it will support PC3200, regardless of what their incorrect product description says. However, the Celeron 2.8 is only a 400 mhz FSB, which equates to a stock system bus of 100 mhz. Even PC2100 (runs on a stock system bus of 133 mhz) would work nicely in conjunction with that CPU, and allow for some good headroom for overclocking. PC2700 (runs on a stock system bus of 166 mhz) would even take it a step further, allowing for overclocking and running a divider that allows the RAM to run faster than the CPU. PC3200+ would just plain be overkill, unless the CPU is a massive overclocker.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I think they're looking to upgrade to a 2.8 P4 at the same time.

And I just noticed you picked a s478 board with a LGA775 processor, gonna have to get either a LGA775 board or a Socket 478 processor.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

I think they're looking to upgrade to a 2.8 P4 at the same time.

And I just noticed you picked a s478 board with a LGA775 processor, gonna have to get either a LGA775 board or a Socket 478 processor.

I was gonna get a socket478 proccesor I think (unless theres a good reason to go with 775 on a cheap system) I must have sent the wrong link.. I did have a 2.8 prescott picked out however that was 478 I think..

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well, if you're doing Socket 478, Northwood would be a better choice since they run quite a bit cooler on Socket 478 and at anything less than 3.6Ghz, Prescotts are slower anyway. LGA is "the wave of the future" but I don't think LGA and cheap can be put into the same sentence just yet

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Well, if you're doing Socket 478, Northwood would be a better choice since they run quite a bit cooler on Socket 478 and at anything less than 3.6Ghz, Prescotts are slower anyway. LGA is "the wave of the future" but I don't think LGA and cheap can be put into the same sentence just yet

well were wanting to OC alot if we can with a decent cooling setup..

I dunno.. Might look into northwoods
I just want to get him somthing that can actually play games.. His dell dosne't evne have a AGP!
my 1.4ghz I built 3 years ago RAPES his in everygame

He can't keep up in games at all cause of lag

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well it's my understanding that LGA775 is where Prescott shines, and on Socket 478 it's pretty much a stinky pile of :turd: a 2.8 Northwood is by no means a slow processor you know...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts