Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I cant quite figure out what is wrong with my Ram.....and I know its my Noobishness with all the settings I dont dare tweak in asus bios without knowing what good it will do.

Ive been tweaking for 2 days and its comes back to the issue of RAM holding me back on the OC side of things.

By the book these should be running at CL8.....and before asus updated and put in 15 different things to tweak I used to be able to do my own timings.
running 9-9-9-24-33-1T and asus has so many rotten different settings I cant figure them all out.

Auto and 800mhz memclock value sets it to cl7 and crashes. So I have it set to 667mhz. Also my ram is running 1.5 volts yet i hear its rated to 1.7-1.9v

Any time I try to tweak my ram under manual settings I get checksum errors so I know thats my fault.

Dram Freq: 733.3mhz
FSB
ram 3:10
NB Freq 2200

any help will be appreciated,especially if someone can get the lowdown on all the settings necessary to adjust my ram in Bios.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well that was fun.....between playing around with multipliers and NB freqs and doing Prime95 tests i finally figured out what was wrong with my system. My Athlon II 550BE had a Bad core when I unlocked the other 2. Fixed that in BIOS to where I am running 3 and I have been passing Prime95 and my cpu temps are rock solid at 52C.

After I find a stable OC I will play with my ram timings again.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a nice stable OC at 3.6ghz,only problem I see holding me back is the ram voltage,have it set in Bios to 1.65v and in CPU-Z still says 1.5v and its rated for 1.65. CPU-Z error? My P95 tests got a lot better after changing the voltage to 1.65v in Bios.

Still running a NB freq at 2400mhz....wondering if this is too high?

Changed my multiplier to x15 and bus speed to 240, was set to x15.5 ( auto ) and 230,anything above that before the volt change in Bios resulted in BSODS.

·
Iconoclast
30,945 Posts
That memory was likely intended for X48 and i790 boards. It's not often easy to run such high memory speeds on AMD's IMC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
which is funny because the mobo is rated for it....1800+,why I bought the Kingston memory for the board.

unrelated but yet keep hearing about it? running win7 x64 and wondering in the limit is 3.8ghz no matter if I upgraded to the 3.4ghz amd chip Deneb 965?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
New Bios out by the way version 604 brand spanking new and they fixed the USB issue with mass storage drives. My bet is my cheap illuminated usb keyboard will work now.....

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwazywabt
View Post

New Bios out by the way version 604 brand spanking new and they fixed the USB issue with mass storage drives. My bet is my cheap illuminated usb keyboard will work now.....

First and foremost, the Dram voltage reading in CPU-Z is NOT the actaul set voltage. What you are reading are Preset SPD's. Or Serial Present Detect settings. These are preprogramed timings and voltage to ensure POSTing on any setup so you can at least run them. But it is best to manually set the timings and Voltage once POST is successful!

Now, as far as this board and Kingston Ram... I have a 4Gb Set of Hyper's that hit 1952Mhz on this board with AUTO timings set. The Board set it to CAS 11 but it was running at 1.71v. So this board can handle the speed. I have had my C3 965 to 4Ghz with the CPU-NB @ 3Ghz. So even with only a 4pin CPU power plug this board is a BAMF to say the least.

You need to set the DCT Mode to BOTH in the timings section and manually set both Channels timings. You will need to run the Chipset voltage around 1.20v or more (the setting is right above the SB Chipset Voltage setting).

Running some Extra voltage to the HT Link will help as well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts